What transmission do i have it has no part number

I bought an 89 Comanche 4.0 2wd that originally had a five speed Peugeot transmission. The five-speed Peugeot transmission that came with it doesn’t work it’s shot because those Peugeot transmissions kind of sucked but it came with an extra transmission that is a four-speed manual and I have no idea what it is. Whenever we did the transmission swap the bolt pattern lines up perfectly and shifter works good everything works fine except for the fact that it has a 27 spline output shaft where as the Peugeot had a 21 spline output shaft. The problem I’m having is I don’t know what transmission this new one is so it’s making it almost impossible to find the correct part without taking it to an actual transmission shop a cost that I’m not ready to pay. If anybody knows what other transmissions outside of AX5 or AX 15 may have been used in these Comanches or works in them please let me know I don’t think it’s an NV 3550 and I know it’s not an X5 or an AX 15 could be an AX4 but I’ve never seen one before so I wouldn’t know. Some jerk filed off the serial number from the new transmission and the part number so I can’t even look at that to know what it is

The AX-15 is a 5-speed. He said the mystery transmission is a 4-speed. That probably means it's a Muncie or a Borg-Warner.

An AX-4 would be a 4-speed, but the bell housing for the AX-4 and AX-5 is for the small GM V6 block -- it won't bolt up to a 4.0L block. However, the late model AMC bell housing is the same as the 4.0L bell housing bolt pattern, and AMC used Borg-Warner 4-speeds, So that's my guess.

2 hours ago, Eagle said:

The AX-15 is a 5-speed. He said the mystery transmission is a 4-speed.

Right, but that's why I asked if he was sure, because to my eyes that's definitely the rear of an AX15.  Doesn't look like any of the 4 speeds that can be made to work for sure. Like Pete said:

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

is it really a 4spd though rather than a 5spd that's broken inside?

I would bet money that's an AX15 with some internal problems.

It’s definitely a 4speed and it doesn’t have any internal issues. the output shaft on an ax15 or sits flush with the back of the tail cone. Mystery transmission output shaft does not. i.e. not an ax15. Ill have some better photos later on today

I can't seem to find a photo from the back side, but the 2 tails of these 2 AX-15s are different. (ignore the circled peugeot)

maybe early AX-15s or maybe dakota AX-15s had a different tail piece?

a side photo should clear this up in a heartbeat. :L:  

4195fbf658b10eca2f4c3143db6234c2.jpg

indexfff.jpg

6 hours ago, Pete M said:

is the thick center plate between the front half and the rear half made of steel or aluminum?  hit it with a magnet real quick.  :L:  

I'm not at the shop right now so I’ll have to do it tomorrow but what does it mean if its one or the other?

5 hours ago, Minuit said:

AX-15. Maybe a broken AX-15 that won't go into 5th, but totally an AX-15.

Okay so it was literally just reworked guy hadn’t even taken the plastic off of it yet. It sat on a pallet outside for a while, why its dirty but I'm telling yall it aint a 5 speed. 

27 minutes ago, RyanJ1775 said:

I'm not at the shop right now so I’ll have to do it tomorrow but what does it mean if its one or the other?

AX-15 will be aluminum. 

and whomever worked on it apparently screwed something up inside.  maybe missed a retainer.  no such thing as a 4spd AX-15.  :dunno: 

41 minutes ago, RyanJ1775 said:

Okay so it was literally just reworked guy hadn’t even taken the plastic off of it yet. It sat on a pallet outside for a while, why its dirty but I'm telling yall it aint a 5 speed. 

But I'm telling you it is. It's an AX-15, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. It's split laterally, not longitudinally - which rules out the BA-10. The case consists of a front half and a back half connected through a thick plate in the middle, ruling out the NV3550. It bolted up to a 4.0L engine, which rules out the AX-4 and AX-5. The case has vertical and horizontal ribbing, which rules out the Borg-Warner T4.

So you don't have to just take some random dude on the internet's word for it:

Just outside my house I have an '89 Comanche 4.0 with its original 2-wheel drive AX-15 installed. I went and took some photos from as similar an angle as I could to what you've provided to us. Compare:

E3257C6E-C459-4D1B-A711-84D26668A48E.jpeg

AdJv0ATl.jpg

The tail housings are exactly the same shape, everywhere you look. Further down the case, you can see that the shape of the ribbing is nearly identical.

A55E41E5-E5DC-4A08-B720-C5E504297873.jpeg

jHvNP8Xl.jpg

Just below the shift tower, you've got one bolt pointed at another. The Torx bolt is in the same place. The center plate (and RTV gasket) is visible on both and has an identical profile. The shift towers have an identical profile.

Believe me yet?

Given the dirt and the fact it's missing a gear, I would be willing to bet the transmission may have made it to the shop to be rebuilt, but probably got bagged without any work being done to it.  You said it was sitting outside on a pallet - was that before or after it was supposedly rebuilt and bagged?  Frankly I couldn't imagine leaving a transmission in any salvageable condition outside uncovered, if it was!

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, RyanJ1775 said:

Does anyone have a pn for the yoke on the bqck of that transmission?

Crown Automotive Part #: 83503593

shop around as can range from 30-120$. 

Junk yard one would work as well. Standred yoke to be had. :L: