Cruiser tips for the HO (Calling all 91-92 MJ owners)

I know the vast majority of MJ’s are renix era and @cruiser54’s tips have proven to be invaluable. However, for the HO crowd, it would be nice to have some tips as well since there are still plenty of little problem areas that could be addressed in the same fashion as the cruiser tips. Any chance we could compile this info and then consolidate it for reference? @Pete M please feel free to move this topic if it’s better in another location. Calling all HO MJ owners

94 XJ Distributor Upgrade.

On 10/1/2018 at 11:27 PM, youngfred said:

I am pulling the Distributor in order to prime

the oil pump, because the motor has not been

started for a while.

Since it is coming out, I am thinking of replacing the

91 Distributor because I cannot get to the Stator

under the Rotor, without pulling the Distributor.

Is the 94 XJ the same Distributor with the accessible

Stator?

Will this Distributor work with the 91 CPS?

Thanks

youngfred

On 10/2/2018 at 12:07 AM, HOrnbrod said:

Yes, no problem. Had the 94 distributor in for many years. Good upgrade. 

youngfred

HOs have more of the "it just @#$%ing works" factor than Renix-era trucks stock-vs-stock. However, all of the general good advice that many of Cruiser's tips are based in still applies.

Refreshing electrical connections is never a bad idea. At this age, a general electrical re-conditioning is in order. With your connections free of any accumulated resistance over the years, everything will work just that little bit better and be just a little bit happier overall.

Often, unplugging and re-plugging a connector a few times might even make a difference. I recommend using your choice of electrical contact cleaner. On any un-sealed connectors used in the engine bay (especially the front lighting connector), I recommend a coating of dielectric grease to keep moisture out.

There's still the multiple ground point at the dipstick tube stud that's probably absolutely caked in oil and road grime. Clean, re-install, and seal with Fluid Film or similar, or your choice of dielectric grease to prevent crud from getting back into it.

ajuMYwHl.jpg

Keep the battery terminals clean, and don't forget to clean the cable from the battery to the PDC.

Pop the relays and fuses out of the PDC, squirt some contact cleaner in there, and reinsert.

For those of you inclined to add new circuits, the PDC can sometimes make for a good tap-in spot to keep things tidy under the hood. Here, I have the 12V feed for my headlight relay harness tapped into the PDC rather than the battery. Obviously, this depends on the size of the wire and terminal you're using, but it's just a thought.

Ecs3IJxl.jpg

Get a group 34 battery for an approximately 10 amp-hour increase in capacity. The factory battery retainer will still fit, if only just.

The factory battery terminals are probably pretty janky looking by now. Here were mine before:

MWdJvNYl.jpg

Replace those with some high quality military style cables and terminals. For the love of all that is holy, don't use the ones that clamp the terminal to the bare wire using bolts. If you don't know what I'm talking about, military style battery terminals are connected to the cables by a through-bolt at the rear of the terminal.  Each cable has a lug corresponding to the size of the bolt crimped onto it. A number of people make pre-made sets for our jeeps, and hydraulic crimpers that do an acceptable job making the required crimps are available at surprisingly reasonable prices.

zu0cwHfl.jpg

[possibly 91 only] - if your brake lights don't work, make sure this connector is plugged in near the battery:

MWF8g4hl.jpg