OEM Tailgate lock

As the owner of a 2020 Gladiator Sport S (JT) and a 1987 Comanche I noticed the JT already has a factory bed lock (68369041AB) aka Tailgate Pivot lock. The part was less than $7 at the dealer.  I just flattened it a little and screwed it in and it does the trick in slowing down the tailgate theft. 

image_67189505.JPG

image_67179777.JPG

image_67179777.JPG

image_67165953.JPG

1 minute ago, Pete M said:

to help keep thieves from running away with your tailgate. 

or friends who think that type stuff is funny. but honestly that's smart but I don't know what is stopping them if they have a phillips screwdriver

11 minutes ago, Jesse J said:

or friends who think that type stuff is funny. but honestly that's smart but I don't know what is stopping them if they have a phillips screwdriver

it may take them a while to get that screw out :roflmao:. I couldn’t help it lol. But yeah, a tamper resistant fastener would be golden there

8 minutes ago, ghetdjc320 said:

it may take them a while to get that screw out :roflmao:. I couldn’t help it lol. But yeah, a tamper resistant fastener would be golden there

burn:grrrrrr:  I think it's handy to take a tailgate off easily. or to not even run one when dd unless its to rep the JEEP logo

54 minutes ago, Jesse J said:

burn:grrrrrr:  I think it's handy to take a tailgate off easily. or to not even run one when dd unless its to rep the JEEP logo

your mpg goes down without a gate on the freeway.  around town it's more or less the same. :L: 

14 minutes ago, Pete M said:

your mpg goes down without a gate on the freeway.  around town it's more or less the same. :L: 

huh intresting. it seems like it would help with turbulance in the bed like it would let the air "excape"

nope.  in a highspeed sustained linear flow (i.e. the freeway) the turbulence circulates into a sideways barrel shape that actually deflects the air coming over the cab.  if the gate is removed, the barrel can't form.  check out the Mythbusters work on it. :L:  

17 hours ago, Pete M said:

nope.  in a highspeed sustained linear flow (i.e. the freeway) the turbulence circulates into a sideways barrel shape that actually deflects the air coming over the cab.  if the gate is removed, the barrel can't form.  check out the Mythbusters work on it. :L:  

Yup. Put an aluminum can in the bed and drive on the highway, you'll see it travel "up" the bed jump into the air once it gets to the cab and then hit the tailgate....well until you go fast enough to where it goes over the tailgate. 

As far as keeping your tailgate, this is a great idea if you don't have a camper shell to keep it in place. I remove my tailgate at least once or twice a week to load/unload stuff (been moving a lot of appliances for the new house lately) and prevent it from getting damaged. 

• 1 year later...