Going to pull the heater box one more time.....

Ok this will make about the 3rd time I have had the dash and heater box out of my truck and am hoping to make it the last.  I will be stripping most of the interior to do some sound deadening of some sort.  I plan to install a new heater core and a good evaporator core.  My heater box is broken but have sourced a replacement.  I need suggestions on things I need to do while I have it all out (seals to replace, things to upgrade).  I also need an idea on how to test the 2 evaporators I have to make sure they are good and finally a way to flush them before or after install. Also looking for suggestions on sound deadening materials and methods.  I know our MJs are just noisy by nature but hoping to cut down on as much as I can. 

I will also be pulling the head to replace the leaking head gasket, along with installing a new radiator.  Any other suggested parts while I am in this far?

New head bolts won’t hurt. When I removed my cylinder head, some bolts were rusty, damaged threads or both. 

I blew out my current evap with compressed air. No problems. Idea is to make sure there is not moisture or oil left from the old system in the evap. Course Minuit might get onto me about such. Not sure on how to flush them though. 

35 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

I blew out my current evap with compressed air. No problems. Idea is to make sure there is not moisture or oil left from the old system in the evap.

thats pretty much how to do it, they sell a flush to do it

13 hours ago, Pete M said:

all the seals.  replace them.

what about a roll-on bedliner for sound proofing? 

Door seals and all the window seals are new on mine.  I do need to spend special attention to everything in the firewall because I get a little draft under the dash.  I have already sprayed the floors with raptor liner after I redid them.  I am curious to see how they look after a little use and another leaking windshield (ill get to that issue).  I was thinking about a dynamat type product for the firewall roof and back panel.  I drove the MJ the other day to pull it out of the shop.  I couldn't belive the noise level difference between it and the WJ daily i picked up (i know its not a fair comparison but I think a good perspective).  I know I won't achieve WJ noise levels but would like to quiet the interior as much as possible.

13 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

New head bolts won’t hurt. When I removed my cylinder head, some bolts were rusty, damaged threads or both. 

I blew out my current evap with compressed air. No problems. Idea is to make sure there is not moisture or oil left from the old system in the evap. Course Minuit might get onto me about such. Not sure on how to flush them though. 

I have new head bolts on the list.  The older I get the more I like to just do things once and correctly.  Not a fan of "redoing my doings". 

I thought about possible washing the evaps out with a soap and water solution, rinsing really well and letting dry, blow out with compressed air and install after some form of testing to ensure no leaks exist.  But thought it better to check with experts in the field before I screw something up.  lol

The entire reasoning for the purchase of the WJ and once again parking of the MJ was a failure of the windshield adheasive.  I was ok with the drafty broken heater box, I am usually dressed to work outdoors for the day no matter what the weather.  But a trip to the carwash revealed the recently installed windshield was leaking, I called the glass guy back and told him.  He came out to look at it and decided he would need to order a new rubber trim due to mine being stuck in the urethane.  I am currently waiting on his return to remove and reinstall my windshield.  He is waiting on the seal arrival and me calling him to schedule a time.  I told him I am in no rush due to all the other work I have planned for the MJ.  I would normally be upset about the windshield situation but my glass guy has assumed full responsibility and really stepped up so far. 

• 1 month later...

I'm getting ready to pull my dash to replace it and to pull out the old heater core, which I think is clogged.  I freeze in the Winter and attempts to flush were always futile.  Is there a gasket and/or foam seal kit for these heater box assemblies?  If not, has anyone built their own seals?

Also, I'm running original R12.  Should I assume I'll have to disconnect the Evap core too?  If so, I'm trying to figure if I should just go ahead and convert the system to R134A, as my AC effectiveness has gone down a bit this past year or so since I owned it.  And R12 is a bear to find in my area.  

Appreciate any sharing of experience.

I just rebuilt my whole heater box and I used 1" x 3/4" foam strip stacked 2 high (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PXSHJF6/) for the firewall seal.  It's very tight and I haven't run it yet but I'm sure it's a good seal.  All of the other internal seals I made out of 1/2 x 1/8 foam strips (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PZTQRHL/).  Er, I may have also used 3/8 x 1/8 too in some places - I can't recall.  Everything else - all the oval seals and such and the foam that sealed the door next to the blower - I cut out of a wide 1/4" strip (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WPWKF8C/)

End of day one:

Well actually only a couple hours into it. And that includes a break to stop and chat with a friend.  The new water pump is in and I am ready to pull the valve cover then head in the morning.

I need to replace the 2 idler pulleys on the ac bracket. Any suggestions on where to source them?

ok so quick update.  I looked again with fresh eyes.  The upper is the idler pulley the lower is the mount for the mechanical fan.  I cannot find a replacement for it.  The bearings aren't terrible but are feeling loose and I would like to prevent a break down. 

I have been busy the last few day.  I have the 2 heater boxes disassembled and frankestiened into one good one.  THANKS @MiNi Beast.  I am waiting on some jb weld to set on a heater box stud and it will be ready to install.  I have finished most of the sound deadening in the cab with the exception of the doors (easy to do later).  I am waiting on a valve spring compressor arriving today via amazon, replacing broken stuff sucks, and the motor will go back together fairly quick.  I will need a junkyard trip before I completely assemble to drive.  I am planning that for tomorrow if all goes as planned.  Interior should be back together today and motor tomorrow hopefully.  I am sure ready to be back in my truck and out of that silly WJ.......

A full new Walker exhaust kit is on the way. Along with a brand new cat.  I know not necessary but I am attempting to make this as quiet and comfortable on the road as possible for a MJ. 

I am having issues with my phone not wanting to upload photos so no pics for now but I am taking some as I go.  So I will upload them all from the computer and update my build thread accordingly when complete.