89 Pioneer Project Gandalf (the Gray)

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well a few progress updates. After much BS with the title I finally got it registered and legal. Finally got my bumpers from Dirtbound after 4 month wait time so slapped those on. Good fit and easy to install and they look great, just took forever to get here. Also got my Alcans so I was able to finally put the lift on. Turned out pretty good I think. 4.5” Rubicon Express Super Flex components up front, 4" Alcan springs in the rear with an RE shackle and it all levels out pretty nice.

Need to put an axle seal in the CAD disconnect side and still having some weird steering issues but ball joints should be here tomorrow and we will see if that fixes it. 

PXL_20210707_180059569.jpg

PXL_20210707_180234710.jpg

PXL_20210707_180214063.MP.jpg

32 minutes ago, Ctwilson1 said:

Some serious progress! Looking good.. 

this may be a little out of place but what is the bar goring from the left side of the rear axle housing to something in the direction of the rear left wheel?

I'm assuming but only thing i seen oddly was the rear load sensing valve for adjusting brake pressure in the rear per your loading weight. 

11 minutes ago, MiNi Beast said:

I'm assuming but only thing i seen oddly was the rear load sensing valve for adjusting brake pressure in the rear per your loading weight. 

That’s really damn interesting. So more weight in the bed changes the valve proportioning in the brakes?

On 7/11/2021 at 9:42 PM, Ctwilson1 said:

Some serious progress! Looking good.. 

this may be a little out of place but what is the bar goring from the left side of the rear axle housing to something in the direction of the rear left wheel?

Yep MiNi is right it was a new bracket I had made for the proportioning valve,, I was missing a few pieces of the setup when I bought the truck.  I (unnecessarily) ended up removing the whole setup and using a WIlwood proportioning valve instead.  

Now if I can get this steering issue figured out I will be in good shape.  Been driving it a little over the last week or so and the steering is all over the place even after being aligned and new TRE's everywhere and a reman steering box.  Steering won't return to center and pretty sure the PS pump took a dump today, its dumping fluid everywhere and whining constantly.  Replacement is OTW along with a Redhead Steering Gear (thanks to a bonus at work, WOOT!)  Got the ball joints also, just need to put them in, then everything in the steering system will be new so hopefully that will solve the problem.  The addiction is real haha.  Thanks for looking everyone!  I wouldn't have been able to get all of this done without knowledge and parts from the great community here.  This place rocks!

Best thing about all new is its all new. :teehee:

Makes sense to install new if going to be driving it for a bit. Then you know where you stand, and before long you'll be driving a brand new jeep and still be cheaper then buying any new vehicle today. 🤪

2 hours ago, MiNi Beast said:

Best thing about all new is its all new. :teehee:

Makes sense to install new if going to be driving it for a bit. Then you know where you stand, and before long you'll be driving a brand new jeep and still be cheaper then buying any new vehicle today. 🤪

Yep I'm almost there haha. Only thing that isnt new is the motor, trans and tcase. Tcase will be getting an overhaul and an sye soon. Maybe i should start pricing a stroker and aw4 haha 🤔

• 3 weeks later...

Well the exterior and interior are done for now.  New SMS headliner installed, bed lined with raptor liner and truck box is in. Maybe a paint job in the future but gonna rock the flat worn out paint for now, adds to the ruggedness 😄.  Also swapped in a Red Head steeeing gear and new PS pump, as well as new balljoints got the steering back to good. I think the BA is on its way out so next up is an AX15 swap and trying to figure out some A/C woes. 

PXL_20210803_174035490.jpg

PXL_20210803_173957244.jpg

PXL_20210803_173953787.jpg

PXL_20210803_173925976.jpg

PXL_20210803_173906947.jpg

PXL_20210803_173854797.jpg

PXL_20210803_173839195.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Well I think the input shaft bearing or something else is on its way out in the BA10, so I acquired an AX15 (thank you Scaleless and PeteM).  Out with the old, in with the new(ish) I guess.  AX is from a 90 so hoping it will just bolt right up.  Got the BA out yesterday and the AX all cleaned up the other day.  Have a trip coming up next week but stay tuned for a write up on the swap after I am done...

PXL_20210825_203040561.jpg

PXL_20210820_155714595.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well, got the AX in and it shifts nice and smooth.  I wrote up the removal process, I guess I can call that part 1, I'll put a link down below.  Swap was relatively straight forward with all the correct parts.  Ran into some small nuisances but nothing catastrophic.  I guess next on the list is the hunt for a pair of 4.10 axles to swap under.  Still having some issues with the ball joints and am kind of over it so the search begins.  Also need to get a new exhaust manifold so will be doing some research on that.  On another note, hopefully closing on a new house with a sweet detached shop in the back so looking forward to working inside again haha. Will try and get a write up for the install soon, cheers!

Peugeot BA 10/5 to AX-15 swap Part 1

https://docs.google.com/document/d/14Z_duDy8Ot90BYCX-pOw5qqPS71E-WqrBOsWpvMAAbc/edit?usp=sharing

PS - If this link doesn't work someone let me know and I'll see if I can upload it somewhere or something.

Well took it out to the mulch pile at the park for some poser pics.  I think its going to be a nice smooth ride off road, flexes pretty decent, only rubs the flares at full stuff so thats cool too.  Can't wait to get it to the mountains!

PXL_20210920_172936297.jpg

PXL_20210920_172917850.jpg

Another small update, FINALLY got these courtesy lights working for both doors.  Apparently there was two different connectors in the little hole where the door switch goes in and it was plugged into the wrong one on the drivers side.  I got the lights out of a VW Jetta at a junkyard for like five bucks.  They snap right into the hole and have 3 positions as well.  If you grab a pair just make sure you get the VW plug and then just wire it up to the existing wiring.

PXL_20210920_215753650.jpg

PXL_20210920_215803532.jpg

PXL_20210920_215811946.jpg

PXL_20210920_215816943.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well took it out for a real trip this weekend. Ran great and had a blast. Ditched the flowmaster for a stock muffler, much better choice in my opinion. Not too loud on the highway. Nice to finally get it off the road, brings back many memories of long weekends at Tellico.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DZOVNqmj7_EVnDrmexweCYtVzI8pwznY/view?usp=drivesdk

PXL_20211211_195747779.jpg

PXL_20211212_160222243.jpg

PXL_20211211_223050118.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2021 at 4:24 PM, PocketsEmptied said:

Looking good! :L:

Those Alcan springs are more tempting every day. How was the ride on rough terrain?

Thanks man. Rode like butter. I aired down to 20 since we were on forest roads most of the day and the ride was pretty nice. 

• 4 weeks later...

Took it out for a little light wheelin this weekend.  Suspension rides like a cadillac and it climbed all the semi-difficult obstacles pretty easily.  Def ready to get it out on a little bit harder stuff, but now on the hunt for some buckets and a center console.  The bench is very comfortable but the lack of storage in the cab and absence of a right side armrest is getting to me.  

PXL_20220115_200928225.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Buckets acquired! Got an xj bucket on the drivers side and an mj on the passenger ao at least one of them tilts forward. Changing the xj brackets out was a little bit of a pita but once i figured its a little easier to grind off the stud heads and use a bfh to get them off it went pretty easy. Thanks to eaglescout for the mj seat and console lid. Cheers! 

PXL_20220202_192020807.jpg