89 Pioneer Project Gandalf (the Gray)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

Looks right at home. Better than in my shed staring at me and reminding me to list it lol. 
Did you pay dzimm a visit for the console lid latch?

Sure did, got a couple other goodies along with it as well. 

A little maintenance lately, just threw in a new timing set, balancer, idler pulley and water pump. The front seal was starting to leak a little and everything was a bit crusty so figured I might as well go ahead and spruce everything up while I was in there.  Still runs and cools great. 

PXL_20220121_230209881.jpg

PXL_20220121_230221802.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well pretty much the last big project for now is complete. Finally got some nice cold a/c for these hot Georgia summers. I took a gamble and left the evap and heater core because I really didnt feel like removing the dash, the heat has always worked fine and it did blow cold ac at one point. New hoses, expansion valve, receiver/dryer, condenser, and compressor and I have some 40 degree temps from the vents! Woohoo!

Now on to check out choccolocco mtn and gulches orv soon. Again just wanted to thank everyone that has helped out and all the info here to make this project a reality. 

PXL_20220221_204237211.jpg

PXL_20220221_204258594.jpg

PXL_20220221_192529673.jpg

PXL_20220223_211559963.jpg

Another light wheelin trip this weekend. Need a little more inner fender trimming as the front still rubs a little at full stuff but it drove the two hrs up and back with no problems and went up everything I pointed it at. 

PXL_20220305_165358140.jpg

PXL_20220305_183436679.jpg

Mine still rubs as well. I folded the seam over even. No sharp points and I pay no never mine. Need to install bumpstops though to ensure no hard stuff though. 

Gotta love when you get no breaks and can drive back home. Thats a well maintained rig for sure. Thanks for sharing with us your comanche adventures and repairs. :beerchug: :popcorn:

• 1 month later...

Well after a few wheeling excursions I needed to do a little trimming.  Trimmed up the front and rear fenders today so hopefully no more rubbing at full stuff even with the extended stops.  The body is definitely already a beater so I didn't feel too bad about doing the cutting.  Planning on tubing and dovetailing the rear anyway after I retire from the fire dept in a few years and do the big offroad build.  Went with the cut and fold method for the rear, worked out pretty well, I like being able to see a little more of the rear tire in the rear view mirror while driving/wheeling.  Its far from good but looks good from far!

PXL_20220413_190724002.jpg

PXL_20220413_210203300.jpg

PXL_20220413_210934623.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A few more goodies.  Just opted to throw some chromo shafts and an aussie locker in the 35 for now, I figure that should be plenty strong enough for 32's.  Also just went with Rustys steering upgrade for now because it was available and direct bolt on.  Next phase will hopefully be a built soa 44 in the rear and I am going to start working on just beefing up the front 30 with shafts and a locker as money allows, and eventually going to go long arm in the front and bigger meats.  Thought I had a bolt in the carrier of the 35 but its a roll pin so I need to head to ACE to get a replacement.  Also still waiting on the other shaft to arrive (FedEx is the worst). Hoping to take it to do some real wheeling in the next month or two.

PXL_20220425_195100438.jpg

12 minutes ago, MiNi Beast said:

Real Wheeling he says. :grinyes::driving::comanche:

Well real enough for 32's haha.  Choccolocco is probably as close as I can get to my old Tellico days, all I can do is dream of Lower 2 and Slickrock :(

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/27/2022 at 8:22 PM, Pete M said:

no Jeep is ever done. :D  I don't see any rocker guards yet...

Indeed! Keepin my eye out for some 4.10 axles at the moment but rockrails def coming in the future.

• 1 month later...