Skyjacker shock experience

Ehhhhhh they are alright replacement shocks. Come with poly bushings and the installation of them is pretty simple. They pretty much do the job of every shock out there. Now what you ought to do and just a suggestion is to see if you can find a set of JK shocks and install those. Benefits is they are gas compressed and they are a bit taller than factory spec shocks.

7 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Ehhhhhh they are alright replacement shocks. Come with poly bushings and the installation of them is pretty simple. They pretty much do the job of every shock out there. Now what you ought to do and just a suggestion is to see if you can find a set of JK shocks and install those. Benefits is they are gas compressed and they are a bit taller than factory spec shocks.

I am not looking to buy them necessarily . more like huh these are a thing but noted!:type: (also when did you become a mod??? :beerbang:)

Edited by Jesse J
apparently I can't spell necessarily

1 minute ago, derf said:

Skyjacker shocks get the job done well enough.  They last for several years usually.

There are better and there are worse.

yeah that makes sense

1 minute ago, eaglescout526 said:

Lol you hijacked your own thread.

that's the fasted I've ever done that

I ran Skyjacker nitro shock on my MJ for several years, the were a bit harsh on the road but worked pretty good offroad.

Nice thing with Skyjacker is that they are one of the few companies that list all the specs on their shocks, so they are good for custom builds.

2 minutes ago, CMMagnussen said:

I have been running Skyjacker hydros on everything for several years. They seem to work ok. YJ is going back on the road in the next couple weeks, I am trying the Skyjacker black max on it. I will post results when I run it.

cool:cool:

on road experience?

I ran some skyjackers for about 4 years and they were pretty bad compared to Ranch 5000x or the Bilsteins I run now. There are several factors that make a good shock though and it's hard to say that the whole brand is good or bad. If you pickup the wrong valving or shock design for your driving style and rig they will ride horribly regardless of the brand. The opposite is also true. Twin tube vs mono vs rmote reservoir plus the valving and ability to "tune" or rebuild the shocks are all big factors. Accutune will valve the shocks specific to your application. Probably the best bang for the buck for mid-level shocks. They also offer the high end models from the major players.

Bilstein 5 series is what I run but most of your monotube shocks from from the major players are what I'd consider mid-level. For entry level though, those rancho 5000x shocks were pretty sweet on my TJR. They get great reviews all day long though they do have a few drawbacks. High speeds over washboard or rough roads will benefit more from a monotube or remote reservoir shock design. If you go custom, you can really dial in the ride based on your rig and driving style. 

PS the Rancho's I'm referring to are not the 5000 series but the new 5000x. The part numbers will have 5 digits vs 4 for the old style which were not so great.

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, 89eliminator said:

i've ran bilsteins for years after running generic white body shocks.  makes a world of difference.  i've had 5150s in my wheeler since 08 with absolutely zero issues.

huh I am debating doing that purely in the research stage right now