Preservation or Desecration? The 96/86 Crewmanche Build

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, Torq_Shep said:

I will be honest. Its not what I would want to drive but I like short wheelbase stuff. Not only that I can't say anything because my #2 is always going to be a minivan.

But it takes some skills and perseverance to do a build like this. There was one a few months back that the guy gave up on and I was pretty invested in his build =P

Oh it'll be fun going to the store in this thing. :laugh::laugh: Taking up 2 parking spots and halfway in the road. 

And I hope to keep from getting a minivan. I hope I left enough room from my 2 year old to grow up in the back. :laugh:

48 minutes ago, Jesse J said:

looks good there has definitely been some botched crew cab mjs this is not one of them. @MiNi Beastyou still wanna build the extended cab:beerbang::brows:

Thanks! I'm trying. :laugh:

And someone needs to build an Ext. Cab. When I posted this thing in some of the Comanche FB groups there were several people unimpressed at 4 doors. They just wanted 2 with some extra room. :dunno:

8 hours ago, Deadeye1445 said:

Thanks! I'm trying. :laugh:

And someone needs to build an Ext. Cab. When I posted this thing in some of the Comanche FB groups there were several people unimpressed at 4 doors. They just wanted 2 with some extra room. :dunno:

yeah exactly 4 doors just makes it so long, like torq said. extended would be really nice to have to keep it short

10 hours ago, KoopaKid said:

I’ve been following your build on reddit! Still interested in it if you decide you’re tired of it someday.

I just found a 2 door Cherokee...thinking maybe of picking it up to do something like this someday.

Thanks! And I'll let you know. It might be awhile though. :laugh:

And it all starts with the first step. Get a grinder and go crazy. :grinyes:

2 hours ago, PCO6 said:

Love to see BIG projects like this.   I need a longer garage!   

Nice work.   :thumbsup:

It's just a little big. :laugh:

My shop is 20x30. But the back 10' is taken up by a loft as well as my plasma and powder coating oven. The Manche takes the other 20'. :laugh:

11 minutes ago, Deadeye1445 said:

Thanks! And I'll let you know. It might be awhile though. :laugh:

And it all starts with the first step. Get a grinder and go crazy. :grinyes:

Hell, I bet, I don't think I'd ever let it go.

I'm doing a pretty basic rebuild with just a little bit of customizing, and I already feel like I'm in over my head.

4 hours ago, KoopaKid said:

Hell, I bet, I don't think I'd ever let it go.

I'm doing a pretty basic rebuild with just a little bit of customizing, and I already feel like I'm in over my head.

I don't plan too. :laugh:

And we all started somewhere. I know when I first got this Comanche about 7 years ago I never would've attempted something like this!

The guys here are a wealth of knowledge, and YouTube and Google can help you learn basics about anything. :holdwrench:

Thanks for sharing, that is quite the project and you are doing an amazing job. Can't wait to see the back doors primed and painted, can't quite do the photoshop in my head but I already like the look and it also looks to be roomy inside.  

Buck.

On 2/5/2021 at 8:03 PM, buxmj said:

Thanks for sharing, that is quite the project and you are doing an amazing job. Can't wait to see the back doors primed and painted, can't quite do the photoshop in my head but I already like the look and it also looks to be roomy inside.  

Buck.

Thank You! And body work will commence once it decides to warm up. My shop isn't heated so have to wait for spring, unless I find somewhere to do it at. And as long as you're not too tall it seems fairly roomy in the back. Plenty of room for my son's carseat. :laugh:

• 3 weeks later...

Between the cold and my side hustle, I haven't taken much time to work on the old girl. 

Took advantage of the wonderful weather today and pulled the bed off. For shiggles, I cut the rear coils down a bit. Then I took off the control arms one by one and powdercoated them, the color is close to what I imagine the final Jeep color will be. 

20210224_123801.jpg

20210224_123807.jpg

20210224_125501.jpg

20210224_171056.jpg

6 hours ago, Deadeye1445 said:

Not sure honestly. I guess I could make some sort of filler piece covered with the same carpet. Interior stuff/vinyl and upholstery isn't my thing lol. 

ok cool. that seems tricky but that's how I would do it