Mirrors

So I'm basically making observations and asking if I'm right. It looks to me like my truck came with the big chrome tow mirrors at some point, because you can see the top set of holes lined up with the window frame. And the PO mounted random mirrors in front of them on the door skin(the broken plastic). I've looked forever and just can't find any good mirrors from a junkyard, so if I just buy some manual ones from rockauto(I don't care about having the joystick on the inside), they should just bolt on and I keep the little triangle cover pieces that are on the inside, correct?

image0.jpg

image1.jpg

image1.jpg

I'm not sure I understand what you want, but maybe this is an option- get mirrors off a 97-01 XJ.  They are a different shape which might not be good if you are trying to stay original.  But they are available, finding late model XJs in the JY isn't hard.  Get some power mirrors, and just tuck the wires back into the mirror or cut them off.  You can still adjust the actual mirror glass by hand.  While this is a fairly common swap, I've found that few mention the need to pull the outer window trim off and slightly modify it to let the mirror sit flush on the door.  I had to do that on my XJ and MJ, but perhaps in varies from one vehicle to the next.  On my XJ, I was able to adapt the slightly different wiring to work with the factory XJ power adjust mirror switch.

My blue truck has OEM mirrors in the 84-96 flavor. The truck is my daily driver and I am yet to think, gosh, I wish my mirrors were bigger. I also think that the 84-96 mirrors are better looking. I have even pulled a trailer with my truck and visibility was fine. In my opinion, you should just find mirrors that you like and go with those.

20 hours ago, 89 MJ said:

My blue truck has OEM mirrors in the 84-96 flavor. The truck is my daily driver and I am yet to think, gosh, I wish my mirrors were bigger. I also think that the 84-96 mirrors are better looking. I have even pulled a trailer with my truck and visibility was fine. In my opinion, you should just find mirrors that you like and go with those.

I understand a desire to retain the factory look.  But I can tell you that after driving a 2000 XJ for a number of years with the larger mirror and no vent window bar blocking the view, going back to a 84-96 style is a noticeable downgrade from a functional standpoint.

For those stubborn ones of us insistent on keeping the 84-96 square mirrors (now that I found a good power set and installed them in my truck, I damn sure ain't taking them out for a while), I found that sticking on a rectangular blind spot mirror in the top corner helps greatly. My idea was so brilliant that Ford actually copied it from me and built it into their mirrors.

00_09edge_opta.jpg.8c7f27a714c964c397a46e7d3ad2d2d8.jpg

2 hours ago, schardein said:

I understand a desire to retain the factory look.  But I can tell you that after driving a 2000 XJ for a number of years with the larger mirror and no vent window bar blocking the view, going back to a 84-96 style is a noticeable downgrade from a functional standpoint.

I disagree. Having owned (and still own) and driven XJs and MJs since 1988, despite the 2000 side view mirrors being slightly larger I don't notice any functional difference between the old mirrors and the new mirrors.

4 hours ago, Warren99 said:

Like I said, I rly just can't find any at a JY, I'm about to buy aftermarket ones or get the newer style and hope it doesn't look too off. Are the aftermarket really that bad?

I have a set of sell you.