power antenna

jdog

yeah, I kinda miss it, and it will fit in with the interior I'm installing. I haven't seen a power ant. on a new vehicle in a long while, its either stubby or a standard (and that's usually on a chrysler)

Be warned: I had to buy two Crown power antennas to get one working one. The one that worked has worked for a couple years without problems, though. The connector coming off of it doesn't look like it should plug into the existing antenna wire under the kick panel, but it does.

The power antenna is triggered by a relay, which receives 12V from the radio's power antenna wire. The power antenna relay is located roughly under the glove box. You'll need to take the lower dash panel off to get to it.

None of the wiring is present in the Comanche dash harness, including the terminal for the "antenna" fuse in the fuse block. The wire coming from it runs across the entire dash harness to the power antenna relay. I de-pinned it from the donor XJ's fuse block to avoid having to splice anything. The wire that runs from the radio to the power antenna relay isn't exactly easy to separate either. That one only runs across half the entire dash harness, though.

Wiring is as follows:

59ac3eace4e85_2017-09-0312_39_48-1990JeepFactoryServiceManual.pdf(SECURED)-FoxitReader.thumb.jpg.c2bdef247b0b857254d13c6377cd3324.jpg

@schardein The aftermarket ones don't come with the mounting nut, pad, or mounting bracket. So make sure you get all three items.

The mounting bracket goes behind the fender liner and looks like this:

20170821_124211.thumb.jpeg.ba1866337566a6b43c451f07b07e8cdb.jpeg

If anyone else has questions, ask away. Not exactly an afternoon project if you wanna do it the way the factory did it.

53 minutes ago, Minuit said:

Be warned: I had to buy two Crown power antennas to get one working one. The one that worked has worked for a couple years without problems, though. The connector coming off of it doesn't look like it should plug into the existing antenna wire under the kick panel, but it does.

The power antenna is triggered by a relay, which receives 12V from the radio's power antenna wire. The power antenna relay is located roughly under the glove box. You'll need to take the lower dash panel off to get to it.

None of the wiring is present in the Comanche dash harness, including the terminal for the "antenna" fuse in the fuse block. The wire coming from it runs across the entire dash harness to the power antenna relay. I de-pinned it from the donor XJ's fuse block to avoid having to splice anything. The wire that runs from the radio to the power antenna relay isn't exactly easy to separate either. That one only runs across half the entire dash harness, though.

Wiring is as follows:

59ac3eace4e85_2017-09-0312_39_48-1990JeepFactoryServiceManual.pdf(SECURED)-FoxitReader.thumb.jpg.c2bdef247b0b857254d13c6377cd3324.jpg

@schardein The aftermarket ones don't come with the mounting nut, pad, or mounting bracket. So make sure you get all three items.

The mounting bracket goes behind the fender liner and looks like this:

20170821_124211.thumb.jpeg.ba1866337566a6b43c451f07b07e8cdb.jpeg

If anyone else has questions, ask away. Not exactly an afternoon project if you wanna do it the way the factory did it.

I was hoping you'd chime in. Thank you for that info, I have the dash harness out, guess I'll be wiring in some wires