MJ 350 swap

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, kansashogan said:

I have Autometer gauges in mine> They are really expensive but they are good. For simplicity you can use an HEI distributor. One switched wire and one for a tach. I have the Holley Sniper with the Dual Sync distributor so it controls the timing. 

DSCN3326.JPG

Beautiful work! I was thinking of using the autometer invision. It looks like it would fit the opening. 

2 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

Use @derf’s calculator with your tranny, axle and tire specs. It is seriously an awesome calculator. 

:beerbang:

Yup.  It's under "Muncie SM465" halfway down the list.  The Aisin AX15 is up at the top.

The lack of overdrive in the SM465 means you want tall (numerically lower) gears in your axles so that you aren't chucking pistons out through the hood at highway speed.  Going up to even 31's lets you step to a shorter (higher number) gear easily.  The AX15 has overdrive and lets you step up to shorter gears.  You can run them side by side and see which one you like.

Options for gears in the stock D30 and D35/D44/8.25 are:  3.07/3.08, 3.54/3.55, 3.73, 4.09/4.10/4.11, 4.56, and some shorter (higher number) gears but that's way more than what you'd run with such small tires.

There were some factory 3.31 Dana 30 axles but they're basically impossible to find and no one makes aftermarket gears in that ratio.  You can get 3.31s with the Dana 44 and maybe the others.

On 1/8/2021 at 11:07 AM, Rusty Jeep said:

I'm looking to swap a carbureted sbc 350 in place of my 4.0. The only place I'm getting tripped up is wiring. Is anyone willing to share What they did to make that work. I don't really want to hack up the stock harness and get in over my head without a solid plan in place. Would it be easier to tuck the wires for the stock engine away and run a completely different harness with its own key switch and gauges so I can leave the chassis harness alone? If anyone was any input on this please do share.

I'm getting ready to swap a 327 sbc and an NV3500 trans out of a truck in the junkyard into my MJ.  It has no interior or wiring harness, and the 4.0 in it hasn't run in God knows how long.  It turns over, but there's no computers or harness AT ALL.  Not even a dash.  Going to put together my own harness, to get it to run all it needs is a hot coil wire, one for the fuel pump (and added regulator for the carb), and one wire to touch the starter.  That is it if you want a standalone engine.  I'm going for tach, speedo (maybe), oil pressure, coolant temp, and battery voltage, as well as a universal momentary push button and toggle switches found at any auto parts store.  I work at O'Reillys so I get a nice discount there :jammin: But overall shouldn't be a hard swap.  Novak makes the mounts I'm going to use, the rest should fit since it is all GM with the 327 and NV3500 and the transfer case should bolt onto the back no issue.  Let me know what pops into your mind also, looking into other options and insight as well.  This is supposed to be a long term project for me, but I want to get it done by the fall.

Will a 231 t case bolt right to the back of the nv3500 without an adapter?

22 minutes ago, kaidenlem said:

I'm getting ready to swap a 327 sbc and an NV3500 trans out of a truck in the junkyard into my MJ.  It has no interior or wiring harness, and the 4.0 in it hasn't run in God knows how long.  It turns over, but there's no computers or harness AT ALL.  Not even a dash.  Going to put together my own harness, to get it to run all it needs is a hot coil wire, one for the fuel pump (and added regulator for the carb), and one wire to touch the starter.  That is it if you want a standalone engine.  I'm going for tach, speedo (maybe), oil pressure, coolant temp, and battery voltage, as well as a universal momentary push button and toggle switches found at any auto parts store.  I work at O'Reillys so I get a nice discount there :jammin: But overall shouldn't be a hard swap.  Novak makes the mounts I'm going to use, the rest should fit since it is all GM with the 327 and NV3500 and the transfer case should bolt onto the back no issue.  Let me know what pops into your mind also, looking into other options and insight as well.  This is supposed to be a long term project for me, but I want to get it done by the fall.

1 hour ago, 89 MJ said:

For an auto, I'd recommend a GM 700R4. Its a 4 speed auto with overdrive, but isn't electronically controlled.

For a manual, I'd say AX-15 or NV3500, or, if money is no object, T-56.

:yeahthat:

Unless you go with a computer controlled 350, then the 4L60E (electronic version of the 700R4) that came with it would be best.

:yeahthat:

Unless it was the one that came in the GM trucks, then they had a different passenger side drop transfer case, but you can get an NP241C (IIRC) that will give you driver side drop, which you will need.

38 minutes ago, Rusty Jeep said:

will an nv3500 bolt right to a 231 t case? I was looking on the novak site for an adapter and either i missed it or you don't need one.

Depends on which NV3500 (or NV3550) you're talking about, as well as which NP231 you're talking about.  The 3500 came behind the Chevy 4.3 V6.  The 3550 came behind the Jeep 4.0.  The NP231 came behind both.  They have the same bolt pattern but different spline counts for the input shaft.  By the time the 3500 came out in Chevy, it was being run in a driver side drop so pretty much all of the Chevy 231's have the correct drop.

So yeah, the 231 will work but it's best to get the transmission and transfer case together from the same donor just to keep it easy.

9 minutes ago, Rusty Jeep said:

i'm guessing any nv3500 will bolt up to any 350 but please correct me if i'm wrong

Yep.  It came behind the 4.3 V6 that used the same bellhousing as the small and big block V8s.

Funny story, I was leaving to go plow snow at roughly 2 am there is about three inches on the roads. I turn out onto the main road to town and my gas pedal sticks down. Jumping to the end of the story I hit a curb broke a leaf spring and bent an axle shaft. I'm looking at possible just replacing the entire axle just because it is super rusty and pitted. I can't seem to find any that have the right brackets. I'm wondering how easy it is to put a dana 44 in place of the 35.