MJ 350 swap

anything that's not an MJ axle will require welding.  how much of a project it is depends on what you want in the end.  An MJ 35 goes right in.  An XJ dana 35 will be the next easiest swap.  anything better (44, 8.25, 8.8) will have a snout 1" longer than the 35, might have disk brakes to integrate in, etc.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking of pulling a set out of a wrangler in a scrapyard. I don't know what gears are in them. I'm just looking for the cheapest option that are still strong enough to take 300hp. If you have a better suggestion on which axles to use please share.

you've found said wrangler?  is it a TJ or the newer JK/JL?

how big of a Jeep are you looking to build?  what type of trails do you hit?  in theory the Dana 30 with a 8.8/8.25/44 can take 300 horses if built right.  but not so much if you're rock bouncing. 

I'm not looking to build a major rock crawler but I'm looking at a severly rust pitted axle and I'm not sure if I want to spend the money on building an axle in that condition. Gearing axles is not an area that I know a  terrible lot about. I'm just looking for the cheapest option that will handle the engine and still have the front and rear wheels spin at the same speed when in 4 wheel. 

I have a set of 30s that I like, bigger ones aren't really in the budget. I looked at the price to build a dana 35 then looked at my wallet and I'm almost sure I heard it start screaming at me.:laugh: I'm kind of leaning towards getting a set out of a junk yard but don't really know what the best choice is. The back axle doesn't scare me as much, but getting the front to work especially if I have to weld my own brackets on seem quit difficult. Is there any axles that will bolt right in that can already handle the power, or am I Chasing my tail in a circle.

since you're building around a sensible sized tire I'd wager you'll be fine with a dana 30 with the later model upgrade ujoints/shafts. :D   the rear axle takes the majority of the abuse.  I'd go with either an Explorer 8.8 or a Liberty 8.25.  both diffs can handle v8s.

it's in the same strength class as the Dana 44 :L: 

Dodge Dakota 1987 - 2004 Rear
Dodge Durango 1998 - 2004 Rear
Dodge Ram 1500 1994 - 2004 Rear
Dodge Ram 2500 1997 - 2001 Rear
Jeep Grand Cherokee 2005 - 2010 Rear
Jeep XJ Cherokee 1991 - 2001 Rear

10 minutes ago, Rusty Jeep said:

A little bit off topic but a lot of people say an nv3500 will not handle a v8. Likewise a lot of people say they will. Does anyone know what 5 speed trans gm put behind the 350?

GM used the NV4500 in the 1/2 ton trucks.  They used the NV3500 in the S10 behind the V6.

Many people put the 3500 behind mild V8s and they hold up fine.