My door dilemma

My passenger's door is shut, won't open from inside or out. Interior door panel is cut/ripped off now, pulling the rod does make a sound like somethings moving back at the latch, but still no door open yet.

What can I cut/drill out/whatever to get the damn door open finally, then replace with junk yard parts after, etc. ?

I had that happen in my 88 once. The problem was the latch mechanism was stuck and no amount of messing with the rods was going to free it. I sprayed the latch as best I could with lube but eventually had to reach in with my hand and push/pry/pull the levers on the mechanism directly with my fingers. If you wanted to, you could open up the drivers door in order to see what is going on inside. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the doors are mirror images of each other.

I had that happen in my 88 once. The problem was the latch mechanism was stuck and no amount of messing with the rods was going to free it. I sprayed the latch as best I could with lube but eventually had to reach in with my hand and push/pry/pull the levers on the mechanism directly with my fingers. If you wanted to, you could open up the drivers door in order to see what is going on inside. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the doors are mirror images of each other.

You are correct sir, everything was a butterfly image when I put my doors back together after I painted them...

I've been having a similar problem with my passenger door lately. Turning the key in the lock on the outside doesnt push the lever all the way like it is supposed to, so I sprayed it down with penetrating oil and it seemed to help a bit... now it only gives me fits every so often as opposed to every time I had it locked and try to unlock it...

This might be a good time to mention that after that incident I disconnected all of the bars on that side except the inside door handle. The door is always unlocked, but the only way to open that side is the inside door handle. I figured that did a couple things for me; I eliminated 3 of the 4 levers on the latch mechanism that could get stuck, and I can never ever again forget to lock that side of the truck. :D

This might be a good time to mention that after that incident I disconnected all of the bars on that side except the inside door handle. The door is always unlocked, but the only way to open that side is the inside door handle. I figured that did a couple things for me; I eliminated 3 of the 4 levers on the latch mechanism that could get stuck, and I can never ever again forget to lock that side of the truck. :D

haha i can't lock my chevy cause of the whole missing key new column deal

I'm to the point now I'm ready to take a grinder wheel to the inside of the steel door (door panel cut off) to cut away material around the latch to see what can be done from there.

:mad:

The grinder is not necessary. If the interior panel is already gone, you can reach inside the door and unlock the latching mechanism by hand. I've done it, but it was long enough ago that I can't accurately explain what I did. It was NOT done using the rods -- you have to reach the actual latching mechanism, and my recollection is that there's a "thingie" that one of the arms attaches to that you push either upward, or laterally.

yeahthat.gif

Plus you might need to put a little "shoulder" into it :D

Had the same problem few years ago, and when you get it open, take it out of the door, and clean the lock mechiaism real good, the one I had was full of sand, from the PO running a sand blaster too close the the truck.

And lube the snot out of it with some white lithium grease.

I ran into this on a parts XJ with the Driver door stuck. I used a small long screw driver and went from the inside, between the door pillar and door, right around the latch assembly. I managed to get the screwdriver on the latch and just popped it up. My latch was toast so nothing else worked. This may be your case.

• 3 weeks later...

I've spent time on it and have yet to get the door open. Can you explain better about a skinny screwdriver and reaching the latch from the inside?

Reaching in the door, moving some stuff on the latch, I was able to make the handle on the outside of the car FEEL like it has some resistance behind the button like its moving something this time, but when you push in it still has no effect, door still won't open.

I bought a damn 2nd Comanche with a passenger's door that DOES open. :D

Here’s a long shot but did the door quit opening after a cold spell? My cherokee door doesn’t unlock sometimes when it gets cold in winter. Thank goodness I live in the southwest. When I go to the wht mtns where it’s real cold it will never unlock so I unlock it before I go up there. One time I didn’t and I wanted that door unlocked real bad so I took a heat gun a heated the door at the mechanism and it opened as if it was the normal 110° outside.

Of course if you have a broken linkage you will have to manually get it open. tipshades.gif

the 90 cherokee I have did the same thing.

so did my parts comanche.

to fix, I just unbolted the inside door handle, and wiggled around the connecting rods until it unlocked. the no-open was caused by a sticky lock mechanism.

if that doesn't work, you will have to wrestle with your interior door panel after taking off the handle and the armrest, and get the panel off. from there you can open it from inside the door.

• 4 weeks later...

FINALLY got the thing open

friend of mine in the cab with his arm inside the door messing with the levers, me standing on the outside trying the button at different times.

ALL fixed up works in and out, new door panel now.

Just in case anyone is wondering, a latch from a car with electronic locks will work in a vehicle with manual locks fine, just one spot on the latch itself going unused with no arm connected-its ok because the rest all bolts up and works with the vehicle still.

The bolts on Cherokee door latches can OFTEN be stuck too tight which will strip out the hex threads with a standard allen wrench. Can grind/drill out in garage, NOT easily in junk yard.