Intermittent wiper upgrade

It’s not as easy of an upgrade that you may think. Sure it seems plug and play for the module under the dash but you have to get the special switch from inside the column to interpret the voltage on the intermittent wiper stalk. But if your comfortable with getting into the column and what, it’s an easy upgrade. 

I hate tilt columns and love my fixed column. Nice and tight, no wiggle. Right where I want it to be. Everyone told me to column swap but I refused to. The switch in the column is unique to fixed column vehicles so a Cherokee or Comanche with a fixed column and intermittent wipers. I’ve seen a few in my days junkyard searching and one of those is in my truck. You have to basically take the whole column apart to get the switch out and it took a couple hours to do the whole swap on my truck, but definitely worth it. The black box under the dash can come from any Cherokee/Comanche with intermittent, but most don’t work so very hit or miss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have a manual trans, relatively easy to find a tilt column out of a manual XJ with intermittent wiper.  If you have column shift auto, good luck.  Extremely rare to find that in an XJ, easier to find a used MJ column shift with intermittent wiper.  Or, like others have said, swap out the regular switch in the column for an intermittent one which is not an easy or cheap.

On 12/20/2020 at 6:30 AM, SatiricalHen said:

I hate tilt columns and love my fixed column. Nice and tight, no wiggle. Right where I want it to be.

Me too! In our trucks at work, with 20+ drivers, the chances the steering wheel will be blocking gauges is probably 50 - 50.

I went through this debacle a couple months ago. No one makes the intermittent wiper switch for non-tilt column.  Rockauto and some other place on ebay showed they have it, but all 4 times I it was the wrong part in the box.

Since my multifunction switch was broken, I ended up putting in a regular hi-low switch and stalk and removing the intermittent wiper module under the dash. Boo

On 12/20/2020 at 8:30 AM, SatiricalHen said:

I hate tilt columns and love my fixed column. Nice and tight, no wiggle. Right where I want it to be. Everyone told me to column swap but I refused to. The switch in the column is unique to fixed column vehicles so a Cherokee or Comanche with a fixed column and intermittent wipers. I’ve seen a few in my days junkyard searching and one of those is in my truck. You have to basically take the whole column apart to get the switch out and it took a couple hours to do the whole swap on my truck, but definitely worth it. The black box under the dash can come from any Cherokee/Comanche with intermittent, but most don’t work so very hit or miss.

If you've got a loose column, PM me. Somewhere I have a complete .pdf teardown of a GM column to rebuild it to factory new. It's not near as bad as I had initially thought it was going to be. 

P.S. AMC used GM columns in the MJ

i do know you can get a separate standalone  kit for your wipers. its a universal kit from like jcwhitney i think. i just remember my dad installing a kit to make his wipers work intermittently.  had a separate switch box though mounted on or under the dash. 

8 hours ago, MiNi Beast said:

i do know you can get a separate standalone  kit for your wipers. its a universal kit from like jcwhitney i think. i just remember my dad installing a kit to make his wipers work intermittently.  had a separate switch box though mounted on or under the dash. 

My Brother did this on his '66 Ford Country Estate SW.   I keep meaning to pick one up to see if I can make it work on the rear wiper of my XJ.