88 Prerunner MJ

Hey all, Ive been lurking in the background gathering some great info and a lot of help, information and parts wise (thx Wildman, oldjeep jamminz.gif ) since acquiring my first MJ to my family of XJs.

Ive owned XJs since purchasing my first one off of Ebag in 01 of witch I still own and wheel hard. (in pic) I loved the thing so much I started adding to my collection soon after. In the stable today are my 93 4dr at lifted XJ, 94 2dr 5sd stock(for now) XJ, 97 4dr 5sd stock XJ, and the 01 4dr AT limited.

Having the XJs and the "initial" need of a budget p/u to get some yard work---(Excuse for buying another truck:)) done an MJ was a perfect fit.jamminz.gif

So anyway :popcorn: onto today, With the yard work finished its time to play.

With the MJ being a short bed 2wd with a 5 speed and my love for going fast on dirt this project is going to be by far my funnest and maybe ill even complete this one. :roll:

I have been collecting parts for what was going to be going onto my 2dr XJ but I am now diverting it all or most to the MJ w/ some parts already plopped on it :brows:

I was able to get some pics from a buddies camera to throw up since

:needpics:

Sorry no pics before the parts starting flying on :wrench:

2007%5C10%5C30%5Cbikepics-1072436-full.jpg

the lift was thrown in a few days after. RC 3½in coil with 3in spacers (for now have 5.5 in Deavers in the waiting) and re-arched rears.

2007%5C08%5C30%5Cbikepics-1008534-full.jpg

Plans for it are:

Full Traction Long arm front susp with 5.5 Deaver coils, 10" Swayaway single Bypass shocks,(untill I can score some 14" C/Os) Deaver rear springs w/14" triple Bypasses. 20-32 gall Fuel cell, full 1.75 CoMo cage. 33x10.5 BFG Baja T/A tires, build the stroker for it and finish off the Hannaman glasswork.

The bumper I designed myself and had my buddy weld it together and on the stock bumper since I don't feel to confident in my welding skills up to now. Its a temporary bumper since ill be designing one into the cage when installed. The skid I made up also, made the template out of cardboard went to the junk yard for some flat stock alumi cut it out and drilled some high speed holes in it. I have not installed it the way I plan with Dzus fasteners but its in my plans.

I just finished up on installing the 10" swayaways on the front end.

The top mount is from T&J Performance and the lowers I grabbed out of a box of odds and ends from the speed shack and will be alright for now. (I'm gathering up the parts to build up a custom axle for the front over the winter)

2007%5C10%5C31%5Cbikepics-1073401-full.jpg

New lower shock mount:

2007%5C10%5C31%5Cbikepics-1073402-full.jpg

Shock installed:

2007%5C10%5C31%5Cbikepics-1073403-full.jpg

I'm planning on swapping out the budget lift and 3½" coils for the Deaver coils when the long arms go on! jamminz.gif

i was just about to say, either go long arms, or cut off some more material from that coil bucket assembly. looks like you have about 1/2" of down travel there before the CA hits it. my first thought was "hmm, i hope he's building for up and not down travel"

i was just about to say, either go long arms, or cut off some more material from that coil bucket assembly. looks like you have about 1/2" of down travel there before the CA hits it. my first thought was "hmm, i hope he's building for up and not down travel"

You are not kidding, I was wondering how it was going to drive around while I waited for FT to send me the rest of my parts for the LA setup but it handles like it has the biggest sway bar going. you know...since its got ZERO down travel at this point. :mad:

which leads me to my fix tonight :roll: hehehe

While railing a few corners to the gas station one of my welds broke on my fab'ed up seat mounts for the buckets I originally installed so I installed the Corbeau baja seats that I just got from Ebag!

2007%5C11%5C01%5Cbikepics-1074573-full.jpg

Seats installed:

2007%5C11%5C01%5Cbikepics-1074576-full.jpg

2007%5C11%5C01%5Cbikepics-1074578-full.jpg

oh and I hope so MJ87 :thumbsup:

While railing a few corners to the gas station one of my welds broke on my fab'ed up seat mounts for the buckets I originally installed so I installed the Corbeau baja seats that I just got from Ebag!

I hate to say it but if ur weld broke wile u were driving to the gas station u might want to keep practicing on smaller stuff and save the the safety items for the pro. i just don't want anybody getn hurt

I hate to say it but if ur weld broke wile u were driving to the gas station u might want to keep practicing on smaller stuff and save the the safety items for the pro. i just don't want anybody getn hurt

LOL, ya think..... naw I know thx.

I had added some length to the factory sliders and attached the seats temporally while I waited for my baja seats to arrive and with the overhang it was only a matter of time since I was continually readjusting the height in the front. :shake: It was pretty much perfect timing getting my new seats through the mail.

I had similar seats in there but they were more suited for a mustang or something along those lines.

• 3 weeks later...

I have quite abit of progress to post but I wanted to reply to some posts first.

BMJ- I realized early on with my planning that this one was going to be my favorite. (and I have a couple early novas)

billybob 89eliminator is correct.

DirtyComanche- They are the best I've ever planted myself into. even if you are not going to race (work well since they are a suspended seat) the cushion and design contours the body perfectly (in my opinion) They even sell one for big boned people. :D

NHscrambler- The only racing around here is tough truck and every weekend with friends. Ive been taking it out on the weekends between building so its been great to see the improvements. I'm building to Jeepspeed Currie Cup (SCORE) specs so thats my ultimate goal.

I will be at the two planned tough truck challenges in Vt in 08 and I think there is one being planned in NH but its still in its planning stages. :popcorn:

wahoosteeler- PM'ed ya :brows:

Some updates.

yanked bed

installed hoop/shocks

installed fiberglass bedsides

made some inner bedside "covers"

installed a temporary 5th tire holder

floor repair :roll: and POR15 and insulation

installed a XJ center console e-brake

decided to put all my interior back in for the winter.....brrrrrr

pics to come! jamminz.gif

• 2 weeks later...
where did you get the cowl for the hood?manufacturer or part #?

they sell one in the 4wheel drive catalog i have. its the whole hood.

:popcorn: 4wheel drive-"Beat the heat out on the trail and on the street! Adding style and function, this Steel Cowl Induction Hood from Refexxion looks cool and helps your Cherokee run cool by allowing under hood heat to escape through the raised, open rear cowl. A direct replacement for your factory hood, it is easily installed with ordinary tools. Hoods are finished in black primer that is ready to prep and paint. Hardware not included."

$399.95

i guess by "hardware" they mean hood mounts.

I have quite abit of progress to post but I wanted to reply to some posts first.

I'm building to Jeepspeed Currie Cup (SCORE) specs so thats my ultimate goal.

Some updates.

yanked bed

installed hoop/shocks

installed fiberglass bedsides

made some inner bedside "covers"

installed a temporary 5th tire holder

floor repair :roll: and POR15 and insulation

installed a XJ center console e-brake

decided to put all my interior back in for the winter.....brrrrrr

pics to come! jamminz.gif

Sounds good. :D I'm trying for a combination of a JeepSpeed set-up, a rockcrawler and a mud truck. It will be built more like a JeepSpeed rig with the frame work and suspension quaility. It will be my multi purpose rig. :brows:

How about some pictures? I'd like to see the bedsides and the shock hoop/shock set-up. :popcorn:

Thanks. jamminz.gif

The hoop is temporary. it will be replaced when the cage is installed.

2007%5C12%5C05%5Cbikepics-1106645-full.jpg

Another temp install. The 8.8 for my XJ.

2007%5C12%5C06%5Cbikepics-1107607-full.jpg

I have a 9 inch that I'm building up.

2007%5C12%5C06%5Cbikepics-1107614-full.jpg

2007%5C12%5C06%5Cbikepics-1107610-full.jpg

And hes one pic trying the razorback on for size. I'm still on the fence with this one but I think I may work with the caging.

2007%5C12%5C06%5Cbikepics-1107619-full.jpg

Ill post some info when I have some more time :hateputers: