Well I'm happy to say I'm part of the club again.

I guess I'll go ahead and make my build thread and re-intro not sure who might remember me or not haha Name's Dominic I'm 28 from california. Iv been away awhile as iv had XJs and a yj the last few years and honestly between work and rasing my family was to busy for fourms etc. Things have calmed down and I picked up the new project yesterday and plan to keep this thread updated as much as possible.

She's a 86 2.5l manual with what iv been told is 140k original miles. Was told the engine had a dropped valve. Has some fender and driver door damage, some driver floor board rust but aside from that is pretty solid. Honestly I didn't care I just wanted another MJ as selling mine back in 2016 was my biggest regret 😂. So this time I plan on completely stripping it, sanding it painting it the right way.

Engine wise I haven't decided if I want to keep the it 2.5l with TBI or swap in a MPI harness I'll be honest the idea of swapping in a harness makes me cringe I really hate wiring I'm game for anything else 😂 In my opinion TBI has less to worry about when 7 hours down a mountain trail also.  Either way I'll be pulling everything. I plan on swapping in a 231/ax15 combo. Enough jabbering I guess here's a couple pics I have so far. Also the gentleman named Mike I bought it from said he had a build thread on here but couldn't remember his username to send me it or find it. 

First pic is where she sat when I got it second pic is on the trailer to drag it home.

received_1991438697665190.jpeg.615ff515676c1671233830160759b7e8.jpeg

IMG_20201130_125214306.jpg

Had a little time today to clean her up some. Got all the trash and junk out if it, ripped out a wooden tool box the PO had made in the bed. Got everything all sprayed down. Next step is start pulling the seats and carpet, engine tranny and tcase. 

received_1034131787056288.jpeg

received_3199747973464065.jpeg

Always great to see another MJ being fixed. I, for one, wouldn't pull the wiring harness to change to MPI without swapping for a 4.0 at the same time. If you're doing that, go ahead and do a 4.0 HO swap. Find a donor XJ and just swap it all over. 

16 minutes ago, scguy said:

Always great to see another MJ being fixed. I, for one, wouldn't pull the wiring harness to change to MPI without swapping for a 4.0 at the same time. If you're doing that, go ahead and do a 4.0 HO swap. Find a donor XJ and just swap it all over. 

Yeah I contemplated that but honestly I kinda of like the idea of it remaining a 2.5l being different as everyone just slaps in a 4.0l.  iv always had 4.0s aside from the YJ so something different is nice.

The only reason I see switching from tbi to mpi 2.5l is available parts aside from that I'm content rebuilding and keeping it TBI

42 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

I mean the HO 4.0 and HO 2.5 share a lot of parts in common but having the TBI 2.5L is just as fun and stands out from the sea of 4.0L's. Plus the 2.5L TBI shares some sensors with some GM cars of the same decade. Welcome to the small niche of 2.5L's.

I should of assumed it shared something's in come on with the GM motors. Thanks for that info. I'm really not super familiarized with the TBI set up on these engines but I love learning so nows the time. Kind of why I want to keep the 2.5l is it's different.

Well look no further than the 2.5L connoisseur lol. But not just 2.5L TBI but the most Renix engines share some common GM sensors and plugs. Shoot theres even a 25 page epic on testing a rooting out all possible causes to a 2.5L no start. Turned out to be fuel injector. 

8 minutes ago, 89 MJ said:

This is how I will describe you now. Your attraction to the 2.5 is something else. It is a good motor though. 

Lol, its different from all the others. Guess in a way kinda like me. 

What I want to know is why we don't call the engine by its "Hurricane" name?

27 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Lol, its different from all the others. Guess in a way kinda like me. 

What I want to know is why we don't call the engine by its "Hurricane" name?

Enlighten me as I haven't heard this term "hurricane" in reference to this engine? Also I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions for ya soon haha at this point I think the 2.5l tbi is staying just gonna rebuild it.

When rebuilding do you have any recommendations for internal upgrades that actually benefit the engine? I have also considered in the back of head possibly adding a small turbo at some point.

My picture is of the air cleaner for the 2.5L found on the 84-85 XJ's but only 84 seems to have come with the graphics on the cleaner lid. Its what AMC denoted it as. 

Rebuilding the TBI? Theres not much room for improvement really, its kinda one of those things thats like at its peek performance/efficiency. One member on here either superhcarged or put a turbo on his 2.5L. I believe that is @mnkyboy.

32 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

My picture is of the air cleaner for the 2.5L found on the 84-85 XJ's but only 84 seems to have come with the graphics on the cleaner lid. Its what AMC denoted it as. 

Rebuilding the TBI? Theres not much room for improvement really, its kinda one of those things thats like at its peek performance/efficiency. One member on here either superhcarged or put a turbo on his 2.5L. I believe that is @mnkyboy

Awesome thank for the information love the history behind jeeps. 

Kind of what I assumed on the performance aspect which I'm fine with. I figure full rebuild it should be a pretty reliable motor, beat the piss out of some 4.0s.