rear disc conversion

I have their kit on the 44 (from an 88) in my 2001 XJ.  I put them on when I did the swap.

It's a good kit.  Works well.  I got the matching parking brake cables.  Bolts right on.

2 things.

1.  The wheel studs on the stock axle are too short.  I got some longer studs from Rock Auto and they work great.  I can dig up the part number tomorrow.

2.  A lot of 15" Jeep wheels don't fit.  I tried several.  They all rub just a hair.  I swapped in some 16s and new tires and they fit perfectly.  It might be possible to clearance the caliper but I didn't want to do that.

3 minutes ago, derf said:

I have their kit on the 44 (from an 88) in my 2001 XJ.  I put them on when I did the swap.

It's a good kit.  Works well.  I got the matching parking brake cables.  Bolts right on.

2 things.

1.  The wheel studs on the stock axle are too short.  I got some longer studs from Rock Auto and they work great.  I can dig up the part number tomorrow.

2.  A lot of 15" Jeep wheels don't fit.  I tried several.  They all rub just a hair.  I swapped in some 16s and new tires and they fit perfectly.  It might be possible to clearance the caliper but I didn't want to do that.

i have 16 inch jeep wheels on mine. my truck is a 87 but I'm sure the axle is basically the same. if you could get those part numbers that would be appreciated. 

16 hours ago, Muncher said:

i have 16 inch jeep wheels on mine. my truck is a 87 but I'm sure the axle is basically the same. if you could get those part numbers that would be appreciated. 

Dorman 610449 lug studs work perfectly.  You can get them just about anywhere.  I picked them up from Rock Auto.

On 11/2/2020 at 11:29 PM, derf said:

It's a good kit.  Works well.  I got the matching parking brake cablesBolts right on.

It's odd you state the above in red.  I put this same kit on my 1989 with the D44, and I found two issues with the Teraflex kit:

1.   the spacers used to preload the wheel bearing were oversized for the axle tube, and needded to be turned down in outside diameter slightly.

2.  I bought the parking brake cables they recommended, and they did NOT fit correctly into the bracket that supports the caliper.  The tines on the metal clip that retains the cable sheath won't snap into the bracket because the bracket casting is too thick.  I called Teraflex, and they claimed they had never heard of this issue.  When I asked the guy to check his stock, he admitted it was an issue after he investigated, but had no suggestion for a fix.   I ended up making my own retaining bracket that solved the problem.

27 minutes ago, AZJeff said:

It's odd you state the above in red.  I put this same kit on my 1989 with the D44, and I found two issues with the Teraflex kit:

1.   the spacers used to preload the wheel bearing were oversized for the axle tube, and needded to be turned down in outside diameter slightly.

2.  I bought the parking brake cables they recommended, and they did NOT fit correctly into the bracket that supports the caliper.  The tines on the metal clip that retains the cable sheath won't snap into the bracket because the bracket casting is too thick.  I called Teraflex, and they claimed they had never heard of this issue.  When I asked the guy to check his stock, he admitted it was an issue after he investigated, but had no suggestion for a fix.   I ended up making my own retaining bracket that solved the problem.

I didn't have either of those problems.

3 hours ago, derf said:

I didn't have either of those problems.

When did you do your conversion?   I did mine about 2 years ago.  I wonder if you did yours more recently, and they addressed the parking brake issue.

29 minutes ago, AZJeff said:

When did you do your conversion?   I did mine about 2 years ago.  I wonder if you did yours more recently, and they addressed the parking brake issue.

I want to say it was more recent than that.  But not by much.

1 hour ago, cruiser54 said:

Braking power is increased quite a bit. Same with adding a dual diaphragm booster.

Together,,,,,wonderful. 

Going from properly adjusted drum brakes to discs in my XJ i didn't notice any significant change in the braking power.

Going from rear drums in typical condition, I could see how one would notice a big improvement.  Rear drums, especially after decades of neglect, aren't performing as well as they should.  If you rebuild and adjust them they will show a dramatic improvement.

The reason I did the swap is because rear discs are so much better at staying adjusted on their own.  And they are so much easier to work on.

If you just want better performance, clean and adjust your existing drums.  You'll be astonished at how much difference it makes.

AMC 20 is not a C-clip axle.

I do remember seeing something about them using the same brakes as the Dana 44.  If so, all the kits should bolt up.  But verify that with someone who actually knows.

1 hour ago, derf said:

AMC 20 is not a C-clip axle.

I do remember seeing something about them using the same brakes as the Dana 44.  If so, all the kits should bolt up.  But verify that with someone who actually knows.

Good info. I do know Warn makes a kit. I think $800. Some info on plates and Caddy or Samaria brakes. But a bolt on plate. I'll have to check out D44 disk from something. I do have an Isuzu D44.  

7 minutes ago, 75sv1 said:

Good info. I do know Warn makes a kit. I think $800. Some info on plates and Caddy or Samaria brakes. But a bolt on plate. I'll have to check out D44 disk from something. I do have an Isuzu D44.  

I looked at the D44 thread below. Gave info on using a Ford Explore bracket. I was going to try that. Possibly look at the WJ backing plate too. I have both at home. Also, I'll check the Isuzu D44. 

• 3 years later...
On 11/3/2020 at 12:29 AM, derf said:

2 things.

Hey there! I recently bought this kit and it’s on it’s way to me, but this is the first time reading that it could have clearance issues with some 15 inch wheels, i have access to two sets of 15 inch wheels, the ten spoke turbines and the 5 spoke ones in this pic, did you try either of these on your kit? Did they rub? Kind of worries i may need to start looking for another set of wheels here…

Also, where in the wheel was the caliper rubbing? The i’m guessing it was at the front but maybe it could be the back of the caliper as well, do you think the rubbing on those wheels could be fixed with a small spacer?

I really don’t want to have to get another set of wheels, these two are the only OEM ones that i like how they look!
These two pics are the sets of wheels that i have.

IMG_2472.jpeg

IMG_2471.jpeg

1 hour ago, Skylynx said:

Hey there! I recently bought this kit and it’s on it’s way to me, but this is the first time reading that it could have clearance issues with some 15 inch wheels, i have access to two sets of 15 inch wheels, the ten spoke turbines and the 5 spoke ones in this pic, did you try either of these on your kit? Did they rub? Kind of worries i may need to start looking for another set of wheels here…

Also, where in the wheel was the caliper rubbing? The i’m guessing it was at the front but maybe it could be the back of the caliper as well, do you think the rubbing on those wheels could be fixed with a small spacer?

I really don’t want to have to get another set of wheels, these two are the only OEM ones that i like how they look!

IMG_2472.jpeg

IMG_2471.jpeg

I never had any issues with turbines fitting rear disks. But I was using the Black Magic kit. He uses Centric calipers. If there is any fitment issues, the tinniest bit of flap disking will solve it. I stuffed 13.25 Mustang rotors and grand Cherokee twin piston calipers inside a turbine with a 1.25 spacer and some caliper bracket clearancing. The tiny little oem disks will be far easier to fit

6 hours ago, Skylynx said:

IMG_2472.jpeg

IMG_2471.jpeg

I did not try either of those wheels.  And I no longer own the XJ so I can't check them.

I suspect all 15" wheels rub the same.