Torq's 1991 Eliminator

It was in Wichita Falls so I assume you probably did. Guy ended up being super nice (name is Wren). After a bit of back and forth I gave him my straight up offer on it and decided to take a look. Managed to get it for $2k which I think is fair for a vehicle that isn't road worthy at the moment (blown axle). 

It is definitely going to get some help in that department. I pick up a 29-spline 3.55 8.25 and a set of ZJ rear brakes tomorrow. Waiting on door hinges to come in to fix that as well. Lots of mechanical things to do before I get to the interior. 

• 11 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Alright so I actually have a planned path for this truck and it involves my other truck. For the last year I have been stuck in Portland for work and have been mostly away from these projects. One of the guys that I worked with shares a resto shop with his dad. Big Mopar folks with a bunch of old Dodge's and Plymouth's. His paint and body work is immaculate and as I am still without a shop I plan to have this trucks body done by him. 

Body Plan: 

- Use the running 1991 and haul it and this truck to his place near Portland. 

- This cab/frame, the other 1991 bed from the running truck, a 1986 Junkyard tailgate, 1996 Junkyard doors, 1991 Junkyard header panel, 1989 hood from my old eliminator (sold to a friend), and the fenders from the running 1991 will all get media blasted. 

- Everything will be sprayed with Eastwood 2-part epoxy primer, and everything will be edge painted with Nason Red Base and re-assembled on a rotisserie. 

- Underbody and bed frame rails will be Raptor Lined

- Body work will be completed and sealed with Nason (or other brand) sealer. 

- I plan to tuck the harness (custom year 2000 engine harness), and I will also be cutting a hole in the drivers inner fender to accept a 1997+ washer bottle. 

- BDF Hidden Winch Mount

- Factory front bumper (with fairlead cutout), factory fender flares (not sure if I am going to use the aggressive 1996 flares or the earlier normal Comanche ones), Factory rear bumper

Engine Bay Wiring Plan:

- 2000 Manual Trans Cherokee ECU with HP Tuners and OBD2

- Custom engine bay harness that will be tucked behind drivers fender and through cowl. Based off 2000 model harness but modified and probably will have my harness guy source all new connectors and I will custom fab once I have the prototype finished and working.  

- Coil packs instead of Dizzy

- ECU control to relay for dual factory electric fans (LHD Standard + RHD Standard). Not sure if I will run single relay or dual relay and not sure if I care to individually control fans. I think I may just have them set up to both come on or both stay off depending on ECU command. 

- Jeep Cables for heavy duty cables

- Relay driven headlights and Fogs. Header panel connector will be swapped from the crappy one to a multipin Deutsch connector 

- Probably an OBA setup that I hope I can shove in the passenger cowl. If I can't fit it there then I may not do OBA. On/Off control will be engine bay only. 

- Still researching but I am likely to pre-wire for a wet shot nitrous kit as well. 

Engine Plan: 

- Running truck has an ATK "205HP" 4.7L stroker in it right now. I plan to use the bottom end on this motor as is (potentially swap for forged rods if I decide to run nitrous).

- More aggressive cam, engine doesn't breath at all with whatever they installed on it. Have not dyno'ed it but I imagine that it drops off rapidly as early as 3500 RPM when it runs out of air.  

- Built head, still doing research on this but I am thinking a late HO head (pre-0331) with Chevy valves and mild porting. Try and keep compression in the same range of 9.3:1 

- Coil packs instead of Dizzy, 2000 ECU, etc. 

- Roller rockers

- I notice that I have a small increase in temp at idle (not related to fans) so I think I am just a tad low on coolant flow at that engine speed. I am going to try a high flow T-Stat and housing.

Interior Plan: 

- Relocate factory fuse block to get it away from the clutch master. While I do not like additional connectors I will likely run a Deutsch multi-pin to the fuse block so I can put a bulkhead on the firewall and prevent air leakage around the craptastic fuse block connector. 

- Standalone audio harness, factory head unit modified to accept bluetooth through a mini-DAC/Amplifier mounted where the auto trans controller would be. Out to crossovers and Morel Tweeters in factory tweeter location and out to Morel 5.25" components in the doors. Behind seat location will have 5x7 Morel Components and a Kenwood self powered sub

- Full sound deadening

- HVAC fan will be re-wired to have a relay control for high speed with a more direct path to battery. 

- Clock VFD display will be run from a microcontroller to display AFR instead of time

- Modified Cherokee overhead console with a scangauge integrated into it.

- Chevy auto-dim rearview with temp and compass

- Wire passenger side window for power 

- Have second switch on power controls on drivers side be for a latching relay for vehicle killswitch. 

- 5V converter under dash for USB power for phone. 

- Dash has full gauge set with 120MPH speedo, Oil P in Bar, Temp in Celsius. Black face instead of standard Gray

- Otherwise stock gray eliminator interior

Misc mostly from running truck:

- NP242 from running truck

- AX-15

- Dana 44 Rear (may swap trac-lok with tru-trac)

- 3.55 gears

- D30 non-disco front

- Rear discs 

- May convert to WJ front brakes/knuckles/steering if I can shove them under the stock 15" wheels

- Roll bar

- Trucklites headlights

Where it is now: 

- I have collected 90% of the above components and most of it will be salvaged off the other 1991 Eliminator. This Texas frame/cab is way better than the one that came with the other eliminator from a rust standpoint. 

photo_2022-06-25_14-44-27.jpg.b11eb5c43e9eb0586020bedc03ca6b8f.jpg

The "Other" 1991 Eliminator (Eventual Donor)

photo_2022-06-25_14-45-56.jpg.2295d5a4cbd5267ff0d070ad3901e596.jpg

The decent looking one needs rust remediation on the frame rails and floorboards again, the paint is failing on multiple panels, and it needs at least under dash wiring. I will not be tearing it apart until the other one is a perfect and painted roller. 

My easiest way to the best Comanche is to get the Texas one up to 100% as it has essentially no rust and both of them would need a repaint. 

edit: only thing coming off the good looking one short term is the bed and tailgate. Plan to fab the tank up so I can still drive it around the property while the paintwork gets done on the bed. 

ok.  just remember that if we use the same 10% ratio of surviving MJs there are less than 700 total HO MJs left.  :L: 

you're out in the northwest now.  there has to be clean beds around you somewhere.  :D 

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

ok.  just remember that if we use the same 10% ratio of surviving MJs there are less than 700 total HO MJs left.  :L: 

you're out in the northwest now.  there has to be clean beds around you somewhere.  :D 

Plan is to make the decent looking one a bed-less roller and sell it to a member for scrap price so it can be used for another project! I refuse to scrap a salvageable Comanche at this point. 

But the decent looking one will need fairly extensive work done on the drivers frame rail. Its not rusted through but it will need to be fully cut out and a new piece welded in to be done correctly. Plus it has the engine, trans, drivetrain, bed, etc that I want. The doors and hood are okay on it but they are aftermarket and not originals anyway.

But if someone has another perfect bed in the PNW and wants to trade for the North East roller with the Cali bed let me know =P

Also I found one of the two possible dealer badges for the Texas truck and purchased it through ebay. Its the earlier Bruner Chevy, AMC, Jeep badge. Still searching for a plastic Bruner Chrysler Dodge Jeep. Looking at the Bruner history there could be another variation of Bruner Chevrolet Jeep if they dropped the AMC name instead of using up the AMC badges but it would depend on what month they changed the Jeep dealer over in 1990 to know which one is actually correct =P