Leaky comanche

Ok so i was told to find where water was coming in my jeep so i did. On the drivers side it seems its coming through the door because of a missing weather strip or something near the window and on the passanger side its a circle thing in the foot well and also the passangee side vent is letting water into the truck. Any suggestions on how to fix these?

Snapchat-1355634282.jpg

Snapchat-177500495.jpg

Snapchat-582248726.jpg

They sell the weatherstripping new, for the vent one, pull the cover off and see what it looks like under, or could be the flaps are bad or just a bad seal. The round thing is a body plug I believe, if so remove and reseal, could also be the hvac box leaking

1 hour ago, jdog said:

They sell the weatherstripping new, for the vent one, pull the cover off and see what it looks like under, or could be the flaps are bad or just a bad seal. The round thing is a body plug I believe, if so remove and reseal, could also be the hvac box leaking

How do you take the vents off?

these are where the attachment christmas trees are. note that you can also push up on them with a reduced risk to snapping the plastic if it has become brittle. 

s-l1600.jpg

these tools are a godsend on the christmas trees

s-l1600 5.jpg

10 hours ago, Muncher said:

Ok so i was told to find where water was coming in my jeep so i did. On the drivers side it seems its coming through the door because of a missing weather strip or something near the window and on the passanger side its a circle thing in the foot well and also the passangee side vent is letting water into the truck. Any suggestions on how to fix these?

Snapchat-1355634282.jpg

Snapchat-177500495.jpg

Snapchat-582248726.jpg

I had a leak in the same place as your first picture. It was coming through the seal between the firewall and the blower motor. I drilled a 1/4” hole at the lower point below the blower motor opening on the engine side of the firewall. It prevents water from building up in that area even if there is a bit of debris there. I’ll see if I can snap a picture later if what I did. Hopefully it helps!

8 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

I had a leak in the same place as your first picture. It was coming through the seal between the firewall and the blower motor. I drilled a 1/4” hole at the lower point below the blower motor opening on the engine side of the firewall. It prevents water from building up in that area even if there is a bit of debris there. I’ll see if I can snap a picture later if what I did. Hopefully it helps!

Alright thank you

21 hours ago, jdog said:

Where would i buy the weather stripping for in the window like rhat

Not sure from the photo if you're just looking for the exterior wipe or the interior also.  I just bought this for drivers side exterior.  Perfect fit just like original.  It's also $5 cheaper now than when I bought it a few weeks ago.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QJAX95I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For passenger side  this....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QJAX95I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Beats the heck out of the cracked ones I had.

On 8/6/2020 at 11:03 PM, ghetdjc320 said:

@ghetdjc320

I am chasing leaks again.  If you can post that photo, it will be a big help!  

Is it common for Comanches to leak at the base of the windshield?  Water comes in somewhere along the front passenger firewall.  I am not sure how close it is to the corner vs directly in front of where feet go.  

It's common for them to leak absolutely goddamn everywhere. Any hole in the cab can, will, and has leaked. The waterproofing engineer at AMC was out sick when the cab design for the XJ was approved, and the MJ has all the same problems. Sometimes they even leak where there aren't holes. If you want a waterproof Comanche, there's no easy way out. You've got to eliminate every possible leak point, and if that means stripping the entire interior, so be it. There are so many potential leak points it's honestly impossible to point to any one source in a "yep, that's where the problem is" way.

the windshield is a common leak point.  :L:  but yeah, the hunt for a leak can be a pain.  I've had success with sprinkling baby powder around and using the garden hose to find a leak.  the water will make little tracks through the powder that can be tracked back towards the source.

my least favorite leak was at the top of the windshield that dribbled down inside the A-pillar and dumped out onto the floor near the carpet.  :fistshake2:

13 minutes ago, Pete M said:

the windshield is a common leak point.  :L:  but yeah, the hunt for a leak can be a pain.  I've had success with sprinkling baby powder around and using the garden hose to find a leak.  the water will make little tracks through the powder that can be tracked back towards the source.

my least favorite leak was at the top of the windshield that dribbled down inside the A-pillar and dumped out onto the floor near the carpet.  :fistshake2:

I was one that followed the advice of "pull your carpet."  I used your baby powder trick many years ago when I tackled leaks coming in all over.  I even sprinkled it on the firewall engine side to see where the water ran.  The first time I took it to the dealer, I got a call, "DID YOU HAVE AN ENGINE FIRE?  It looks like fire extinguisher residue behind the engine!"  Naw, that's just baby powder.  ROTFL

I hope if it's the windshield, I don't have bad rust in that spot.  :(

On 8/16/2020 at 2:04 PM, 87MJJeep said:

@ghetdjc320

I am chasing leaks again.  If you can post that photo, it will be a big help!  

Is it common for Comanches to leak at the base of the windshield?  Water comes in somewhere along the front passenger firewall.  I am not sure how close it is to the corner vs directly in front of where feet go.  

There is a small lip where the blower motor fits through the firewall. I drilled a small 1/4” hole under the motor and into the wheel well opening to drain. That rubber seal will not keep out the water that pools up there

A6BF5526-DBFD-4010-949C-22FBFACEB22A.jpeg