Driver door won’t open

One of the plastic clips that hold the door linkage to the interior handle broke so the linkage fell off of the actual opener handle. So I was like easy just pull off the handle and yank on the linkage. Nope nothing happens. Can’t get door open and can’t get the door panel off with the door shut. Why doesn’t just pulling on the linkage work? Yes it’s unlocked. Loosing my mind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

been there, done that.  turns out you can indeed get the inner panel off if you're desperate enough.   but you can try a slim jim style tool first.

feels like I’m gonna break stuff but a slim Jim isn’t a bad idea

Are you sure the clip broke entirely?  I had the same issue in the past.  I had to lock/unlock and wiggle the handle and eventually it opens again.  Not entirely sure what caused it as it was intermittent and I didn't remove the door panel to investigate.

Are you sure the clip broke entirely?  I had the same issue in the past.  I had to lock/unlock and wiggle the handle and eventually it opens again.  Not entirely sure what caused it as it was intermittent and I didn't remove the door panel to investigate.

Yeah but it broke off the interior handle side so I could see it. That’s why I don’t understand why pulling on the linkage doesn’t work

That is interesting.  I'm guessing when it broke it also popped out of the latch mechanism as well.  Pushing or pulling that linkage should normally open it.  I think your only choice would be somehow get the door panel off.  Not gonna be the easiest task unfortunately.  

6 hours ago, Manche757 said:

It happens to my MJ routinely when I am in a hurry to get somewhere. I usually turn the key back and forth hard 4 or 5 times and cuss at it. I thought the lock mechanism probably needed lubing. What is the fix?

I fixed mine by disassembling the door, cleaning as much old schmoo as I could and relube with white lithium grease. Works like butter now.

9 hours ago, watchamakalit said:

I fixed mine by disassembling the door, cleaning as much old schmoo as I could and relube with white lithium grease. Works like butter now.

Yup.   Thirty year old grease, mixed with dust and other crud, makes the door latch and lock mechanism prone to sticking, as well as being hard to actuate to begin with.

Every time my wife goes to drive it she has this issue. I've never had it. She got trapped in it one time and had to crawl out the other door. She just told me she went to move it today to cut the grass and she couldn't get in it. The landscaper showed up and it opened just fine for him. Been an interesting read as I think I'm going into the door next time home to see what's going on with it. I call it operator error but my wife doesn't agree with that assessment.

89 Comanche
Eliminator
2wd
4.0L
5 speed PukeGoat
Factory Original