What are you guys running? I'm coming from a V8 small block background with the deep throaty exhausts. So what do you put on these inline 6 engines? I don't want to wake the neighbors but I do want it to sound like a truck not a soccer mom mobile.

89 Comanche

Eliminator

2wd

4.0L

5 speed PukeGoat

Factory Original

6 minutes ago, Pete M said:

a giant Borla muffler.  like, for a big truck.  very quiet at idle and throaty when I'm on the skinny pedal. 

It's not a v8 though. 

I loved the sound of the borla on my tj with a 4.0 till the welds broke internally( rocks might have had something to do with that). I’m running a muffler now from gale banks it’s sounds good and does not sound like a fart can.

I run a magnaflow stainless spun cat and magnaflow muffler and am happy with the sound. Not very harsh at all. Also ran a Gibson mwr muffler and liked it also, more so than the magnaflow. To me a straight 6 sounds best on about a 20” glass pack with 2.25 or 2.5 tubing. The flow masters, magnaflows, Gibson’s and the like sound better on that off-beat non balanced V8 sound but a straight 6 has a totally different sound. Very balanced and smooth. I like to pursue the sound of performance straight 6’s instead like European cars. It doesn’t sound “ricer” by any means but a glass pack really adds some depth and brings out that straight 6 sound. Headers, downpipe and even tips all contribute to the sound also.

This video let’s you hear the sound of about every mainstream I6. V8s have an offbeat unbalanced sound which also has its charms. However straight 6s have a unique balanced sound I have come to appreciate. A tuned I6 is a sweet engine. 

The "thing" (I won't call it a "problem," because except for the sound it's a feature, not a bug) is that with an I6 the exhaust pulses are perfectly evenly spaced, so the sound comes as more of a steady sound rather than individual pulses. The Jeep 4.0L is especially this way because it's an old-school engine at heart (the basic engine goes back to 1964, in a Rambler). It's a comparatively low-compression engine with a mild, street cam. You can make it sound "pulsier" (to coin a phrase) by switching to a cam with higher left and shorter duration, so the pulses are stronger and have a bit more separation. If you run headers, a true dual exhaust might help, also.