Snorkle pics

Anybody got a pic of their snorkle setup? My truck no longer has any sort of air cleaner so it would need to be connected directly to the throttle body. 

Trying to figure out a way to configure one out of pvc, but the connection to the TB has eluded me. Also, my master cylinder is in the way for a straight shot over to the driver side fender well.

I would like it to be external, meaning not tucked into the cowling. Also, would prefer not to drill through hood if avoidable.

Do you plan on running some sort of filter?  There are inline style filters available but I've heard that they really suck.  Do you have equipment in the factory airbox location?  

I'm trying to visualize what you are working with.

First thoughts are that with the brake booster and shock tower/mount taking up so much space, your pipe would have to go through towards the front of the fender.  

I personally have run two different setups of cowl intake on MJ/XJ and am working piping through my head for an intercooler setup on an MJ but haven't worked with a true external snorkel so I don't have any pictures to help you out there.

On 6/14/2020 at 11:42 PM, Dzimm said:

Do you plan on running some sort of filter?  There are inline style filters available but I've heard that they really suck.  Do you have equipment in the factory airbox location?  

I'm trying to visualize what you are working with.

First thoughts are that with the brake booster and shock tower/mount taking up so much space, your pipe would have to go through towards the front of the fender.  

I personally have run two different setups of cowl intake on MJ/XJ and am working piping through my head for an intercooler setup on an MJ but haven't worked with a true external snorkel so I don't have any pictures to help you out there.

For filter either nothing or a simple end cap style. This truck is just a toy anymore, but i don't want to take care of it what i can. FWIW ive ran with no filter, just straight uncovered TB for the last 10k 

Only equipment in the way, aside from the brake master, is the washer fluid bottle.

The ideal material would be flexible but rigged. Think pool vaccum hose. Very flexible but will not collapse under vacuum. How it would hold up to the heat is another story. Also i can't find it in anything larger than 1.5in dia.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a full snorkel setup that doesn't use the factory airbox.  And agree with the above, I'd dig around for pics of an XJ, far more likely to find those.  

I wish I could help more but I've only done cowl intakes, never a full snorkel. 

My set up was under $20 with free kn filter from pick and pull. not pretty and fancy by no means, its just stupid simple redneck enginuity.  It works well as it whistles down the road and i do get water over my hood and yet to have issues. Regardless as what she said, 3" is plenty big enough. 

20200605_025005.jpg

I realize it’s an HO, not a Renix, but this is how the K&N “cold” air intake that came with my ZJ attaches:

2D5D6E1D-D94B-4147-B1CB-B638CD155402.jpeg.e84536b0610cd905a5aae8da25bc7d46.jpeg

It looks like just a chunk of ~2.75” rad hose, possibly boost hose, held on with a hose clamp. 
C9A98A8F-75C3-47A4-B6FB-B746399BC6F4.jpeg.a43d8ccc6ef05c5d4f059aeea07aaa41.jpeg
Nothing fancy about it. It’s short enough that even if there were some crazy filter restriction, it doesn’t have much room between the throttle body and intake... hat... thing... to collapse into.

Any parts store should be able to get you a chunk of hose in the correct size, although it might help if they deal in heavy truck parts. But if they can’t get rad hose in the size, a silicone joiner bit for a turbo setup would effectively be the same. Then just hard piping and elbows to get you to the edge of the fender, pvc, exhaust pipe, whatever. You’ll probably want another similar flexible connection at the fender to allow for engine movement and also to make it easier to pull the chunk of pipe off to get at stuff underneath it, or whatever. Then hard piping through the fender and up over to wherever your snorkel is going. 
An air cleaner like this: https://stores.allskidsteers.com/air-cleaner-filter-assembly-with-filters-deutz-engines-for-bobcat-skid-steers-863-864-873-883-a220-a300-s220-t200-kit-replaces-oem-6674837/ is pretty common for industrial equipment that breaths a ton of dust, and wouldn’t be super difficult to incorporate into a snorkel. There’s a ton of different styles out there, that’s just the first one that came up for an “skid steer air cleaner” search.

Yeah, so the hat piece is held on with a chunk of hose. That’s it that’s all. Two hose barbs, one is the throttle body and the other on the hat, parked tip to tip, with the short piece of hose attaching the two and sealing them, with a hose clamp on either end of the bit of hose. I only pulled off the one end of the hose cause I thought it was obvious, but I can see that might not have been super clear in the photos. 

All you need to reproduce is some form of hard piping roughly the same OD as the throttle body inlet to make your own “hat”, and a short piece of hose that slides over both.