Ollie's 1989 Comanche

Bed liner sprayed and I think it came out great.

here's the steps I used and what I would change if I do another.

1. I washed the bed good with dish detergent and let dry good.
  2. Started scuffing with a 120 grit sanding pad.
  3. I was getting a bunch of goo in certain spots. I actually think it was tree sap.
  4. Tried to clean those areas with Xyceline, came off but with alot of rubbing

I then got out my pressure washer. I should have done this as step one, was able to get all the sap off. I started over with the sanding. 

1. I sanded the box good.
  2. Filled the holes where the chrome bed rails were bolted on.
  3. Wiped down good with tar, wax and grease remover.
  4. Masked up.

I called Speedcoat about spraying over the body filler and was told not an issue if its just a small area no bigger than your palm. 

IMG_0302.JPG.27e8c536275d34117827c082e5a5995a.JPG

IMG_0304.JPG.ff3ac8e10448f48399584b3946742e07.JPG

IMG_0306.JPG.16670e0a8c2dd508f034710b704057da.JPG

IMG_0308.JPG.5cd6d7d9d1430c53655492bfcfb3e4bb.JPG

IMG_0309.JPG.12561724ce180a32abfa883957b20428.JPG

I have a question for those in the know. Was the tailgate liner a stock factory installed item? Now that i removed it to paint I am thinking of putting it back on. 

Next project is to work on the box cover.

Having Comanche Fun,

Ollie

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Playing with the topper from the Ford Ranger. I don't think it going to fit, much to my disappointment....:grrrrrr:

Top1A.JPG.5938bcbd3e1cde04e8a69e1be2b56332.JPG

It just does not fit good at the rear corner's, no matter how far back you pull it. 

Top2A.JPG.fe046d11da44cd16eb5bf00a1f23e9ea.JPG

From a distance its not to bad.

Top3A.JPG.55d9eb4cd71bd925e8fb04237e674a27.JPG

The inside brackets.......

Top4A.JPG.4c01f94d6d1cead82d6575e27dc96d68.JPG

Top5A.JPG.a249fb0bb067fa906fb1b08c4cc89597.JPG

I just don't think it was meant to be.

Working on plan two. Found a camper top in TN.

Having AMC Fun,

Ollie

Plan two has now on the main burner! 

I have located a top in TN, and will pick it up Dec 8. It came off a Comanche.

Camper3.jpg.320debadd3753984531e9481b89d4e9a.jpg

This is going to be The Comanche's maiden voyage for me and the wife. All of his running around has been local and this 1250 mile trip is his first "stepping out". I have the utmost confidence.

I bought a new Interstate battery yesterday to replace the 4 1/2 year old battery that is in the truck. I just don't want to deal with that issue  on a cold morning, especially on a out of town trip.  I am sure it would have failed sometime during the winter. 

Looking forward to our Road Trip.

Having Comanche Fun,

Ollie

Had a very good and happily an uneventful road trip to go get the topper in LaFollette, TN.

I have to brag on the Comanche a bit. He actually was running better the more I drove. First two tanks of gas the mpg was in the 14 range. The third tank went to 16 mpg. After than we stayed in the 18 mpg range with 18.7 being the highest. I was running 68 mph most of the time. We covered 1266 miles round trip and with no oil consumption. I feel confident going anywhere in my Comanche. 

The topper is a Sung Top. I see they are still in business.

IMG_0358.JPG.543caa4c40f752a94ee2a62017feebbf.JPG

IMG_0356.JPG.d6322779e90b81a21efe38267fdcdedb.JPG

IMG_0349.JPG.1763426b97b1891d3cb0323edd6b7373.JPG

IMG_0354.JPG.517dba4dbd3b558d7ccf13958faa99b5.JPG

A pressure wash was a big improvement. I have been thinking about painting the top silver, the same color as the bottom stripe  in the Pioneer graphics. Might look better than the truck color. 

My next though is to remove the sliding windows, replace with a solid piece of glass and tint them as dark as possible. 

I plan on getting going mighty soon on this project.

Having AMC Fun,

Ollie

15 minutes ago, MiNi Beast said:

i need the sliding window as broke mine..:sad:

My sliding window is broke too. I sure thought about building a frame for the flat topper too. Sure be alot of work. 

Having Comanche Fun,

Ollie

3 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

I am learnin that the shell has its benefits and what not but it became clear to me that I love the look of our MJ's without the toppers.

that is it. it has two looks for sure. i enjoy the topper but not the looks. however functions always trump cosmetics. 

I agree silver would look nice if you paint it. :shhh: 

2 minutes ago, MiNi Beast said:

that is it. it has two looks for sure. i enjoy the topper but not the looks. however functions always trump cosmetics. 

I agree silver would look nice if you paint it. :shhh: 

I think I could say the same exact thing you said and agree wholly. Now when I do go to paint mine, it will become BE(CO Red) with the same color striping around the side windows of the Pioneer graphics. 

The question seems to be   "Go Topless" and let all hang out or "Cover-up"  ????  :banana:

I agree for the sake of eye candy  TOPLESS is best.  :thumbsup:    Being covered up has it advantages to. We like road trips and you need a top for that, not much room in the cab for stuff.  :cool:

I will definitely have some  "hockey sticks"   on the  top.  I am going to start pulling the windows tomorrow. 

Having Comanche Fun,

Ollie

• 3 weeks later...

Camper top project is moving on...........:driving:

Windows are out, cleaned up and ready to go to the trim shop for tinting. I want them blacked out.

IMG_0387.JPG.dbaf222ca270aba65d2c9154830d3d3a.JPG

They are tinted glass. My idea of replacing the windows with a solid piece of glass was becoming to big of a project.

IMG_0389.JPG.08698bb37722a65aaa5b016ea08e0c16.JPG

Got the rear window painted today.

IMG_0390.JPG.b2b2335422ca3f393a2a8c390cedb89f.JPG

IMG_0393.JPG.1a90f1b29e0324a780bc2435c7b92a4b.JPG

Worked on the rear window seal rubber. Old rubber was very hard and brittle. Found new seal rubber and got 12 foot ordered. Next step is to get the front rubber boot cleaned up and painted.

Having Comanche Fun,

Ollie

Update on the top project.

Got all the black trim around the windows painted. The two big side windows were delivered to the trim shop for tinting. Told Greg I want them solid black.

Went by the paint shop and got everything I needed. They were able to scan the silver stripping on the trim and come up with a mix formula. So the top will be silver.

Here everything masked up and wiped down for priming........

IMG_0398.JPG.0ead8afec7d556d354c9c6fd70dfaa1e.JPG

Primed.......

IMG_0400.JPG.b1a05c9aef74bc71af6dd21973bce6a8.JPG

IMG_0401.JPG.357cc924bdbe15172a64ac52a762a84d.JPG

Now I have to wait for a good weather day to paint. It was way to windy today for top coat. A fast hit with some 320 and a wipe down and I will have a silver top !!!

Having Comanche Fun,

Ollie

Top is sanded, wiped down and ready for silver paint ...........

IMG_0403.JPG.c59f9c1ff451856d6355e2243c45aefa.JPG

IMG_0404.JPG.acbb2fdd341d977bed88ba92d668c059.JPG

My weather-stripping for the back door is here.

IMG_0406.JPG.877deffdfa94236b96b7cd906cefe3b4.JPG

Now we are WOW. For you non marine people or offshore oil workers.....Waiting On Weather

My paint room is not a booth so weather conditions have to be right for painting. My outside roll up door has a gap at the top that wind and dirt can blow in. When the wind comes from a southerly direction it hits directly on the door. A northerly wind hits the back of my shop.

Today we are supposed to have 20-25 gusty south wind. Tomorrow North @ 5 mph. Its tomorrow or awhile as we are to some cold weather coming next week. 

I can heat up the room pretty warm with my butane bottle heaters, turn them off and paint. After the fumes clear, I have a exhaust fan, I can light the heaters again. 

I don't worry to much about a explosion, if that happens I most probably will not be to concerned about the after effects !!!     :dunno:

Having Comanche Fun,

Ollie

Interested in how replacing the weather stripping for the door goes for you. I bought replacement for mine but the original is so age hardened I can't get it to even move in the track. Not sure what course of action I'm going to try to remove the old stuff.

On 1/4/2021 at 2:17 PM, coheed said:

Interested in how replacing the weather stripping for the door goes for you. I bought replacement for mine but the original is so age hardened I can't get it to even move in the track. Not sure what course of action I'm going to try to remove the old stuff.

I must assume that you are speaking about a Snug Top? I had one heck of a time getting the old brittle weather-stripping out myself. Plyers and a small screw driver and alot of digging. Sometimes I could get a foot to come out at a time.

Question for you? Is your 3/16"   "T" channel a soft rubber? Mine is a fairly ridge rubber and I don't see how I can bend it around the door curves. I don't have alot of confidence that my weather stripping will work. It's todays project.

Got the top painted yesterday. I am satisfied with the out come. You must consider a jack wagon did it with a $9 Harbor Freight spray gun......:banana:

IMG_0408.JPG.90c24da39b84659b5cb16b819dca10d4.JPG

IMG_0415.JPG.d6c390a4c6b45d52e5c9d04aac63addb.JPG

Having Comanche Fun,

Ollie

10 hours ago, Ollie said:

I must assume that you are speaking about a Snug Top? I had one heck of a time getting the old brittle weather-stripping out myself. Plyers and a small screw driver and alot of digging. Sometimes I could get a foot to come out at a time.

Question for you? Is your 3/16"   "T" channel a soft rubber? Mine is a fairly ridge rubber and I don't see how I can bend it around the door curves. I don't have alot of confidence that my weather stripping will work. It's todays project.

Having Comanche Fun,

Ollie

I just meant my camper top, unsure on the brand but it has the same seal for the rear door. Specifically the seal that goes in the frame attached to the shell the door closes in. I suppose I'll have to do what you did and dig it out forcefully.

The stuff I bought to replace mine is fairly pliable, don't see having an issue getting it in the track. I bought is from this seller on eBay for less than $10.

Got the door seal rubber in. It was very loose in the track but some weather strip adhesive fixed that up. I had no issue going around the bends.

Got my side windows back from the trim shop. Greg told me to let the tint dry a few days before messing with them. My plan is to fill the sliding tracks with caulk and close the window and clean it up & paint the frames.

IMG_0418.JPG.26fdedb9c7e1a37b30b561c52bdb2c14.JPG

Issue now is to wait for some warmer weather. I too cannot wait to see it together and in some sparkling sun shine.  Be a few days before that happens.......:teehee:  Talking snow Monday.......:beerchug:...might be in order for the next few days !!!

Having Comanche Fun,

Ollie