Ollie's 1989 Comanche

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, MiNi Beast said:

are you caulking to permanently shut windows or just for painting? 

Caulking to permanently shut. I don't want any leaks. I was afraid to dismantle the windows and replace the rubber seals/gaskets because I was not sure if I could find the correct rubber.

Having AMC Fun,

Ollie

Sure been giving alot of love to my Comanche lately and I cannot believe what he did to me. Went to O'Reilly's last week to get a can of matt black spray paint to finish up my window trim painting. When I got ready to leave, I turned the ignition key and NOTHING happened. :fistshake1:(new starter & battery) They jumped me off with their battery pack and low and behold my volt meter is reading 12 volts, no charging. I had the alternator out when I did all the AC and heater work and it looked brand new, even the Car Quest sticker on it looked new. Any way, a new alternator from O'Reilly and we are back in the race. !!!!   :driving:

Moving on to the camper top.....we got it sat on the truck yesterday.  BEAUTIFUL !! I am really happy with my color selection and the match to the silver trim is perfect. All the color blends, interior, trim and all in my opinion. 

IMG_0442.JPG.c1276a4a67c115c4ce2f65a2f99510ed.JPG

IMG_0449.JPG.a22cb3a512e169547db1f44d74fbc5e2.JPG

The top also solved my back window problem. It seals really good.

IMG_0439.JPG.b369d4c6c69d723ffaeaa9e4af89618e.JPG

I have to get to the trim shop next week. Plan on adding a small midnight blue (truck color)  "hockey stick"  just above the window. I think that will really tie it all together.

I am really happy, got a great deal on the top, $125, truck ran like new money on his Tennessee trip to get it, and the out come is awesome !!!!  :applause:

Having Comanche Fun,

Ollie

oh yeah i like it. :grinyes: that came out great. still question the hockey stick but I'm intrigued to see it as my vision for it is not so good, being not sure i understand your thought. however with you work this far id be certain it will look great. and you should know by now that you can't add new and pretty things without the jeep reminding you of other things that need attention. funny how these trucks talk back to us. enjoy brother . :beerchug:

• 2 weeks later...

My Comanche sure has come a long way since June 2020 when I purchased it. It is now officially done.....

As you all know there is really no such thing in the car hobby business....:roflmao: but anyway..........

Got my last stripping on the top today.

IMG_0477.JPG.9132a5ae9dbd28b99c776cd89cd6e6fa.JPG

IMG_0479.JPG.8ba1e82d740cc3a0a3dfe66bb9c7476b.JPG

Looking forward to many happy motoring miles.   :driving:

Having Comanche Fun,

Ollie

• 4 weeks later...

Working on some running lights for The Comanche..........

Last week during  cold weather in the Southland, I had to come up with in the house projects. We faired well as we had water and power all during the storm. Seven days in the teen's is rough for us. 

Bought some lights from Mossmj13

fog1.jpeg.783096ef257af8c2173db1b5e945f70a.jpeg

I didn't know when I purchased them they were Ford Ranger lights. I should have investigated further, my mistake. Working with what I have. I cut the grills off to look more like Jeep lights. During disassembly  for cleaning all the  reflector chrome fell off. Sanded and painted the reflectors glossy white. One bulb burnt out so will replace both.

IMG_0500.JPG.dbf3c5892143367d564b02bf83bd0872.JPG

Everything ready to be assembled and mounted.

Having Comanche Fun,

Ollie

• 1 month later...

Wife and I were on our way to the Mopar Show in Shreveport Louisiana when we had a "incident".

We were west bound on I-20 @ 70 mph and wife said she was getting hot and turn on the AC. Wanting the gal to live in peaceful bliss.......I turned on the AC. In a few seconds the Comanche was blasting out cold air.

About 20 miles out of Shreveport we dropped off the super slab for a pee stop. Back at it in a few minutes and no AC. Just hot air, couldn't even feel the compressor engage.......:furious3:     yes a few bad words we uttered........

Got checked into our hotel, walked across the street for dinner. On my return I popped the hood to discover freon all over by the AC compressor.

Next day at the show I cleaned up the mess and figured out the problem. The high side fitting was finger tight and the low side was just slightly loose. 

409373843_Pic1aa.JPG.f7a6cdd0cc4cf4dd1c6be19fcd7170ce.JPG

I think it was a combination of events and vibration caused the issue. The AC ran great all last summer and lost no freon.

I replaced the "O" rings,  relocated the hoses, vacuumed and re-charged the system......

IMG_0574.JPG.6c4a56046aea866cd8e77be275dcaf9e.JPG

No contact between any hoses. AC is working great.

Issue should not rear its ugly head again.  :banana:  ............  :driving:

Having Comanche Fun,

Ollie

5 hours ago, MiNi Beast said:

good deal. not sure how you would be able to continue without that a/c. :eek:  

It was a mighty struggle......thankfully the Good Lord blessed us with a cloudy and cool day for our return trip home. We both had to pull up our big girl and big boy drawers and tough it out...........:cool:

Ollie

13 hours ago, MiNi Beast said:

:laugh2:

i gave up on fixing the ac system and just took the doors off. still dosent help at stop signs and sitting dead on the highway backups. :crazy:

Young man, I can tell your a genius !!!   :scholar:

Thats exactly how I fixed the AC in my Postal Jeep !!!! (We may still have some issues to work out)

DSC02341.JPG.d7dc0f9e90f6b13924cfb23ed9a15cfd.JPG

Having Comanche Fun,

Ollie

• 1 month later...

Got tired of chasing groceries and paraphernalia around the back of truck so I built this removal wall.

IMG_0731.JPG.c92991b68a472b6fca45073c2ae26e36.JPG

Its doing the job....... a handy 1 arms length from the tailgate.

IMG_0736.JPG.c59a88e9e515a6815348dfc9912c4006.JPG

Having Comanche Fun,

Ollie

• 2 weeks later...

My truck is becoming famous.....they have named a town in Texas to honor him...:roflmao:

coma1.JPG.29151cd555d446892986c42c1a5b0bca.JPG

We are traveling to Colorado Springs, CO to attend the American Motors Organization National Convention and spent the night in Comanche, Texas. 

wood7.JPG.2a05e6ba2b37285f4cfc1e0118a7c75c.JPG

Nice car Museum in  Cross Plains, Texas

Having Comanche Fun,

Ollie

57 minutes ago, Ollie said:

My truck is becoming famous.....they have named a town in Texas to honor him...:roflmao:

coma1.JPG.29151cd555d446892986c42c1a5b0bca.JPG

We are traveling to Colorado Springs, CO to attend the American Motors Organization National Convention and spent the night in Comanche, Texas. 

wood7.JPG.2a05e6ba2b37285f4cfc1e0118a7c75c.JPG

Nice car Museum in  Cross Plains, Texas

Having Comanche Fun,

Ollie

I heard they were having that this year, was gonna try to make it down to the springs, if I do ill look for you