It's rare, so it's worth more than just any $100 junkyard axle.  But it's still just a Dana 44.

I wouldn't pay huge money for one but I'd drop a few Benjamins on it.  Depends on overall condition and whether it has the gears i want in it or not.

$250-$300 depending on condition here in Iowa (slim pickings around here). 

The similar strength C8.25 is my preferred upgrade because they are easy to find.  I paid $100 for a 98XJ C8.25 and $200 for a 03 Libby C8.25 (disk brakes).  The upside of going the D44 from an MJ route is that you don't have to relocate the perches.  The extra $50-$100 is worth it to me, not having to mess with the perches.  

However if you will be lifting the truck, the perches may need shimmed or otherwise tilted for driveline angle so the extra cost may not be worth it at that point.

ouch. :(  that's a big chunk of change. 

but it is just money.  if you've got the cash, and it's worth it to you, and you can't find any others to buy, maybe make him a counter offer. :D 

car-part.com might be able to find something for ya.  :L:  be sure to look for XJ 44s too, since they are a different part number but are essentially the same thing but with different bracketry. 

ouch.   that's a big chunk of change. 

but it is just money.  if you've got the cash, and it's worth it to you, and you can't find any others to buy, maybe make him a counter offer.  

car-part.com might be able to find something for ya.  :L:  be sure to look for XJ 44s too, since they are a different part number but are essentially the same thing but with different bracketry. 

Funnily enough, the JY I called had it listed on there too ac024e50ad7ffa6b01f58b20fc1ffb43.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Dana 44 is alive and well in the Wranglers.  The ring and pinion upgrades they made a while back make it pretty stout.  And junkyards are full of Dana 44 axles from a variety of vehicles from the past.  That won't change for a while.

As far as the C8.25, it really is just a matter of cutting and welding spring perches and shock mounts.  The drum brakes on the XJ will work as-is with the MJ hardware, both fluid lines and parking brake cables.  The newer KJ axles have disc brakes but parking brakes cables are easy to work with.  I do believe the driveshaft is close to the Dana 44 spec but someone who knows for sure can confirm.  Either way, driveshafts are cheap to modify so that shouldn't bother you any.

If you're planning a regear, any XJ/KJ donor 8.25 is a good donor because you can upgrade an early model 27 spline shafts to the stronger 29 spline while you're in there.  Otherwise, stick with mid '96 and newer to go with the factory 29 spline shafts.

I'm a big fan of the Liberty 8.25 since it's a little bit wider than the MJ/XJ axles and so better accommodate the MJ's big butt. :D    (the bed of an MJ is wider than the back of an XJ, which is why the rear tires always looked tucked under the bed)

I sold a comanche Dana 44 for $500 a few months ago. All the axles previously mentioned are good candidates for a rear end swap. A lot of guys also run Ford 8.8 rear ends. They have the same bolt pattern, disc brakes and about the same WMS to WMS. Lot of options out there just depends on your budget and how much fabrication your willing to do. Good luck!

4 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

It’s just the MJ & XJ versions that are a bit hard to come by

this was my point

5 hours ago, Pete M said:

I'm a big fan of the Liberty 8.25 since it's a little bit wider than the MJ/XJ axles and so better accommodate the MJ's big butt.

mmm good point