Transmission identification and advice

I've just purchased my MJ a few days ago.  I'm trying to figure out what transmission I have. My Comanche is an 88 and I've read that 88 was the year they started phasing out the ba10/5. I would check for the band that the ax15 is supposed to have but the MJ in question is several states away from me at the moment (long story). I know that the transmission in question has an internal slave cylinder (and it is broken). 

Is any transmission behind an inline 6, with an internal slave cylinder, ipso facto, a ba10/5? or could it be an early version of the ax15? how can I know for sure?

Hypothetically, if I have a ba10/5 (which i am informed is trash garbage) just how bad are they? Ive read a lot that they are bad but why? (Id like to hear a horror story) Obviously I wouldn't want to sink money into a rebuild for it if it breaks outright, but right now it just needs a clutch kit with a new slave cylinder. 

Should I just save my money for a new ax15 instead of fixing this? (assuming its a ba10/5)

88 was all Peugeot.  on march 10th of 89 is when they started using the AX-15 and it was internal slave through 94ish, well after the end of the MJ. 

what you should do with you money depends a lot on what specifically is broken.  clutch parts are one thing, internal damage to the Peugeot is entirely different.  another factor is what you plan to do with the truck.  a daily driver has different requirements than a rock bouncer. :L:  

Thanks a bunch Pete, I think Ill probably be using it as more as a daily and less as a rock bouncer, at least for now. I liked the gearing well enough when the clutch worked and ill just fix it for now and run it until the gears go bad. 

I'd still like to hear some horror stories on Peugeot ba10/5 if anybody has any, so ill know what to keep a look out for.

I daily drove and even did some mild rock crawling with my ba10/5 for several years with no issues. I put a TON of miles on that tranny with zero issues. Oddly enough, I decided to upgrade to an ax15 and the first thing it started doing was popping out of second. Obviously it was a bad tranny and I replaced it with another. 

My BA10 went 260,000 miles before I swapped in a AX15. The transmission never left me stranded. It was the internal slave cylinder that was the problem. Mine is/was my DD with only dirt trails 

My BA 10-5 did great for a bunch of miles (maybe ~50,000 for me, ~200,000 total?). It started howling in fifth gear and I ignored it. Drove like that for months and several thousand miles before something went *BANG BANG*. Then my poor truck stopped putting power to the wheels, the smell of hot gear oil invaded the cab, and I coasted to the side of the road. Had to get trailered home after that. But its back up and going with a 96 AX-15.

So my words of minor wisdom would be fix it for easy parts until something internally goes *pop*, then replace the whole sheebang with a 94+ AX-15. Good luck.

88 was all Peugeot.  on march 10th of 89 is when they started using the AX-15 and it was internal slave through 94ish, well after the end of the MJ. 

what you should do with you money depends a lot on what specifically is broken.  clutch parts are one thing, internal damage to the Peugeot is entirely different.  another factor is what you plan to do with the truck.  a daily driver has different requirements than a rock bouncer. :L:  
Yep, mine was built on March 6, 89. So I have the Peugeot and I have confirmed it. That being said. I don't have a horror story. Mine has 111,000 miles on it. I've only owned it since December. No issues at all with it. But I'm like the OP I'm watching it. I've read and heard some stories, but I think the consensus is as a daily driver its fine. If you want to climb mountains or hard core off-road it's gonna break, just a matter of time. As for me, the first instance it gives me trouble that a five minute fix won't take care of I'm dropping an AX15 in it. I will not chase good money after bad. And it probably won't be coming out of a junkyard either.

89 Comanche
Eliminator
2wd
4.0L
5 speed PukeGoat
Factory Original

It really depends on your truck. I would bet the Peugeot would live forever in a 2wd. But add a gear reduction from a transfer case, get in a bind with traction, and that's when you are more likely to get instant carnage.

I'm with Pete. Fix your known wear parts, never put money into hard parts in a Peugeot, unless you really feel a need to stay all original.

Oh yeah.... Put some info on your truck into a signature.

7 hours ago, Pete M said:

mine was 2wd. :( 

Please don't be upset, Pete.  Remember it fondly for the joy it brought you.  Think that it is now in a better place...as a boat anchor.

in its defense, it still got me home. :L:   maybe 30 miles of ear-splitting (I had a finger shoved in my right ear) screaming gears after the oil all drained out... and eventually the last 10 miles stuck in 3rd...  but I did get home. :D 

It can happen to any of them. The T-19 in my 1987 F-350 needed rebuilt, too. Of course, that was at 329,000 miles, pulling trailers, hauling wood, behind a turbocharged 6.9 liter diesel, with 35" tires. And it's tough to find a transmission more robust than the T-19.

Of course, all the gears and bearings were still OK, I just got tired of it walking out of gear in 2nd. One worn out syncro, all the rest were OK.