Renix Cruise Control Parts.

eaglescout526

1 minute ago, JolietJEEP'84 said:

Complete set up here if Rusty doesn't work out.

Oh I'm not in search of a set up for myself, I'm more gathering parts from those who aren't going to add cruise and make complete kits for guys who want to add. Shoot me a PM if you want to part with it.

Do you have a list of what is necessary to add cruise? I have a bunch of these parts from collecting them over the years, I'd be happy to part with the ones that I don't need and keep just one setup for my truck. 

4 hours ago, watchamakalit said:

eaglescout526

do you have any pics that will show the vacuum harness layout for the cruise?  I think I have all my parts collected but I have done some head scratching over the vacuum harness.

Hopefully this will help. Basically the larger rubber line on the servo goes to the vacuum switch in front of the brake pedal. The small hard line goes to the vacuum football. 

IMG_20200511_102339408.jpg.655a56ab4f4cb3e8ffed34538069eb02.jpg

1 hour ago, 500 MJ said:

Do you have a list of what is necessary to add cruise? I have a bunch of these parts from collecting them over the years, I'd be happy to part with the ones that I don't need and keep just one setup for my truck. 

Here's the link to the write up about renix cruise control. Basically the part list is

Servo (different for 4.0l, 2.5l, and 2.8l)

Control Module

Speedometer Cable

Speedometer sensor

Wiring Harness

Brake light switch

Brake vacuum switch

Clutch switch(if desire not necessary to have working cruise control)

Vacuum Reservoir 

Turn signal stalk

Hope this helps

6 hours ago, watchamakalit said:

eaglescout526

do you have any pics that will show the vacuum harness layout for the cruise?  I think I have all my parts collected but I have done some head scratching over the vacuum harness.

Wish I took a pic of the NOS harness I got a year ago. But Blaines drawing is pretty accurate on how it goes. Worse comes to worse, I planned on making these hard lines. Depending on how many of the vac cannisters are around, ill probably make a harness that allows another reservoir to go up by the blower motor.

Thanks @Blaine.D!

20 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Wish I took a pic of the NOS harness I got a year ago. But Blaines drawing is pretty accurate on how it goes. Worse comes to worse, I planned on making these hard lines. Depending on how many of the vac cannisters are around, ill probably make a harness that allows another reservoir to go up by the blower motor.

Thanks @Blaine.D!

There's might be a better source for the hard line than this but Dorman has a line of hard plastic lines at local auto part stores. The one that would work would be the 5/32 part #47418.  Unfortunately have to fix my hard line after removing the vacuum football to work on cleaning up my coolant system. Hope this helps.

1 minute ago, Blaine.D said:

There's might be a better source for the hard line than this but Dorman has a line of hard plastic lines at local auto part stores. The one that would work would be the 5/32 part #47418.  Unfortunately have to fix my hard line after removing the vacuum football to work on cleaning up my coolant system. Hope this helps.

Should indeed help. Much appreciated!

• 7 months later...

Might be a stupid question, but can cruise control work on a standard?

I only recently found out that my truck even had cruise control (has never worked in the time I"ve owned it), and now I'm swapping from AW4 to AX15. Would be cool if I could get cruise control going with it too.

3 minutes ago, KoopaKid said:

Might be a stupid question, but can cruise control work on a standard?

I only recently found out that my truck even had cruise control (has never worked in the time I"ve owned it), and now I'm swapping from AW4 to AX15. Would be cool if I could get cruise control going with it too.

So little part history here:

AMC had one universal kit you could buy from the dealer. What sets apart the standard and auto version of the CC system is a vacuum switch/dump valve. The switch would mount above the clutch pedal so that way when you would depress the clutch, the system would turn off momentarily until you released the clutch. These switches are very hard to find, let alone with the bracket too. The break pedal also had a dump valve that was similar to the GM switches except it didnt plug into anything but the hose that went to the servo

Auto version used just a dump valve that looked very similar in shape and function to the clutch switch except all it did was release the vacuum from the system when the brake pedal was depressed and you would have the slide the control switch to "resume" on the stalk to resume using CC. The clutch switch that was used is blocked off at the plug via a bypass which is a metal prong bent into a U shape to connect to the other side of the plug. 

That being said, I installed an auto cruise set up and it works fine, you just don't get the clutch switch but will get a dump valve and have to be careful not to engage the clutch while CC is operating otherwise the system will think its losing speed to say an incline and will try to compensate and rev the engine until it gets back to that speed. 

Since you are moving away from auto to manual, you will just need to keep this warning in mind while driving. But otherwise it is completely useable with either set up.

Let me know if you need help getting CC going.