Our MJ wrecked thanks to a 15 year old driver...

BLHTAZ

This is what happens when Mom tries to teach a 15 year old how to drive in 5:00 rush our traffic. Tina (my wife) was on her way home from work following a white Dodge Caravan when it decided to turn left. She continued on straight through, but as she was about half way past..."Mom" told the boy NOT to turn left, so he turns right...and guess who/what is there in the way of the front bumper/fender of the minivan... Tina & our MJ :cry: . The minivan got the worst of it as the front bumper was ripped half off and the headlight was hanging out :lol: .

It was not terrible, but definitely a bummer... Tina's left leg was a bit sore for a few days, but no one was really hurt.

MJdamage1.jpg

MJdamage2.jpg

The good part is...it got a new paint job. The bad part is...it was only the drivers side that got painted :? , but it looks good from that side :lol: .

MJFixed1.jpg

...tey painted one side of your truck, are you serious?

thats the most half butted $#!t i've ever heard of in my life. wow

glad the wifey is ok. and hopefully dopey and dopette decide to try it out on deserted streets next time... (aka backwoods)

Yea...the insurance company would only pay to repair/paint the area that was damaged. I was happy that they fixed it at all as we figured that it would be totaled with $1200 in damage. Even if they had totaled it, we would have bought it back and fixed it ourselves. There is no way that they would take our MJ away just because of a door being destroyed.

We will get the rest of it painted to match in the near future, but we were getting ready to go on our 10th wedding anniversary trip and didn't want to spend the money on it.

a few weeks ago a kid backed into the side of my longbed and crushed it in behind the rear left fenderwell all the way to the tail light, it's estimated extremely high at $2300 with a new bedside.

insurance company said it would be totaled, being a 21 year old truck...and said that the buyback option would be first come, first serve. the couldn't guarantee I'd get it back. I explained to them the mint, restored, rebuilt condition of the truck, and the fact that the oldest thing in it is the 96 camaro engine, and the original upholstered seats..and they changed their tune. a price adjuster is coming out this week, so we'll see what happens.

but accidents suck, and I've learned that I can't DD my 3800 MJ anymore because it's got too much investment, both sentimental and money-wise.

but accidents suck, and I've learned that I can't DD my 3800 MJ anymore because it's got too much investment, both sentimental and money-wise.

I wish someone could explain that to my wife. All she sees is more MJs in the yard than I can drive (or repair) at one time, and she flips out. I think my only saving grace is that they were here before she arrived, and she may just understand that there's a message in that ...

As to the "totalled" bit -- I don't understand how the insurance company can dictate anything about a buyback. I own a 1988 MJ. Some dweeb drives into it and does $2500 worth of damage to it. Yes, I understand that if the truck has a book value of only $1000 they don't want to spend $2500 to repair it. But the fact is, if the truck had a book value of $2550 they'd have to pay the $2500 and I keep the truck. So if the book value is only $1000 -- give me the $1000 and leave me alone. I ain't signing my MJ over to some insurance robber.

So if the book value is only $1000 -- give me the $1000 and leave me alone. I ain't signing my MJ over to some insurance robber.

I agree.

thing is, mine is worth (since it's a 20 year old 2wd 2.8 longbed with a 5 speed and no options to speak of right, and it's in the rust belt to boot) something like $1500 they figure. but it's not any of those things. they offered to just pay me $2000 to total it tho....yea, great, 7,000 into it. i don't get a 100% guarantee on buyback. some lucky chap could end up with a 86 comanche, with some dents and scratches, that has all the rare parts, and a 96 camaro motor. like that's gonna happen.

so eagle, you are spot on.

a few weeks ago a kid backed into the side of my longbed and crushed it in behind the rear left fenderwell all the way to the tail light, it's estimated extremely high at $2300 with a new bedside.

insurance company said it would be totaled, being a 21 year old truck...and said that the buyback option would be first come, first serve. the couldn't guarantee I'd get it back. I explained to them the mint, restored, rebuilt condition of the truck, and the fact that the oldest thing in it is the 96 camaro engine, and the original upholstered seats..and they changed their tune. a price adjuster is coming out this week, so we'll see what happens.

and that is why i bought a cheap car.

Did they only tire shine the driverside tires?
:rotf: No...they did detail the whole thing. They did a nice job on the wheels too as they had been kind of oxidized from laying in my back yard for a few months.

On the totaling thing...insurance companies will typically total a vehicle if the damage to it is over 70% of it's value. In our case, they said it was within 5% of being totaled and the bill was $1178 so that means that they were saying the value of the truck was roughly $1800 - $1900, but like the others have said...I would have kept it and fixed it anyway and would never have signed it over to them if they totaled it. Our son went through it a while back when he got hit and they totaled his car, but they offered him the money for it and let him keep it with no hassles.

Just a note about insurance companies.

If the accident was the other drivers fault, they CAN NOT say your vehicle is totaled, if the repair cost is legit.

For example, the blue book value of the vehicle is $1000.

The cost to repair it is $2000. Thats thier problem, since the person they insured damaged your vehicle.

However if the accident was your fault, you are at your insurance companies mercy.

I know this for a fact, a good friend of mine was in an accident.

it wasn't his fault, his crappy old taurus had a bluebook value of about $800, (if I recall correctly), it cost almost $2000 to repair it.

The other drivers insurance wanted to total it, and pay him $800.

He said "Bull, where am I going to get a car I can drive for $800?" and threatend to take them to court over it.

make a long stiry short, they paid to fix it.

Just everyone remember that if it's not your fault, don't let them bully you.

I know insurance laws are different in different states, but double check if it happens to you!

May work in PA but not in Ohio. A few years ago I had a car get hit by someone and his insurance totaled it at $900. I had got the car 2 months prior for $1,000 and had $1,300 in receipts from 3 days prior when I rebuilt the front end. And to make things worse, in Ohio they have this law that even if the police finds the other guy in the wrong and you not at fault the insurance Co can say that you are 30% at fault for not looking in your review mirror and trying to avoid the other driver :headpop: Went to an attornery and he told me I was screwed and take the $630 check and next time I was in an accident hold my neck and ask for an EMT to help me :roll:

On the totaling of a vehilce after an accident. We are all at the insurance companies mercy. I had a 69 HD chopper back in the late 90's... I rebuilt it, and only had 1500 bucks in it, but when I went and purchased insurance, I bought a stated value policy. Well needless to say I dumped the bike (my fault) and did 4200 bucks worth of damage. Well the insurance company (Allstate) said they were going to total my scooter and pay me 2200. Well after much arguing and 3 months time frame ( I kept refusing to take their settlement offer) and threatening them with a lawyers cause they sold me a policy that had a 10K limit, they ultimately payed me. Of course I was promptly cancelled.