Door check

If you can get one from the rear doors of a 4 door XJ they will work. The arm is the only item that needs to be swapped out, if you have a vice with some punches it is not a tough job to do it. The rear doors of XJ's were never used as much as the fronts, so the mechanisms are usually in great shape in the salvage yards...

2 minutes ago, Warren Mohler said:

I would use OEM if price is reasonable, since 85 I have never seen one break, weak link is  the pin and body side mount

They list out at $94. But its great quality. My checks broke inside the door and it looked like just plain old age and corrosion.

3 hours ago, dante2 said:

Can you use the rear door check in the front? I thought it was only the front door checks worked on either side.

Yes, - just swap the arms out. The mechanisms are the same. 

4 hours ago, 500 MJ said:

If you can get one from the rear doors of a 4 door XJ they will work. The arm is the only item that needs to be swapped out, if you have a vice with some punches it is not a tough job to do it. The rear doors of XJ's were never used as much as the fronts, so the mechanisms are usually in great shape in the salvage yards...

For an item that wears as much as a door check, I would not even THINK about using one from a junkyard when new ones are still available.  I got mine from either Team Cherokee or Quadratec, I cannot remember which, but they were OEM.