Jeep Comanche Accessories guide - OEM INSPIRATION

1 hour ago, krustyballer16 said:

So has anybody ever seen or have the tonneau cover with the sport bar?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I have a tonneau cover that the previous owner of a barn find MJ that I picked up (see link below) claimed he bought at a dealership.  In fact he said he bought one decades ago and the one he gave me was a new replacement for it, also bought at the same dealership.  I posted it on here a while back and the consensus was that it's probably NOT a factory original because in the instructions they spelled "Commanche" wrong!  It's quality piece that looks like it could be factory made but there is nothing on the instructions that indicates it is an AMC, Chrysler, Jeep. etc. item. 

The way it works is that there is a retaining bar that screws to the top of the front of the bed.  The front of the tonneau clips into it and you pull it back from there.  There are openings for the sport bar and they close up with Velcro straps.   Velcro is adhered to the sides of the bed and across the tailgate.  The tonneau then fastens to the Velcro on the body.  There is a 2 piece metal stiffener that goes across the bed to hold up the underside of the tonneau.

What's interesting though is that all of the metal pieces that came in the tonneau kit screw in to holes that were on the bed of both of my MJ's (both '88 Eliminator short beds).   The bed of my main MJ appears to be totally original and the holes were punched not drilled.  The kit screwed in with no problem.   If any one can check their MJ beds I'd be curious to know if they have the holes too.    

picture.php?albumid=5837&pictureid=87330

picture.php?albumid=5837&pictureid=87329

picture.php?albumid=5837&pictureid=87331

picture.php?albumid=5837&pictureid=10078

picture.php?albumid=5837&pictureid=10078

Barn find Comanche, since passed on to a new owner … 

http://www.jeepcentral.ca/forums/showthread.php?6543-Comanche-Barn-Find

Re the above … I just blew up the "JEEP COMANCHE WORKSHEET" from the brochure and the part # for the 6' bed with a sport bar matches the instruction sheet I have (Pt# 8982 200 691).   Despite the spelling mistake on the instructions I have :dunno: it seems to be the right one. 

I think that's factory. I can't see a manufacture putting an AMC part number on their product if its a replacement. I think that's legit despite the improper spelling. I have noticed that some manufactures of accessories don't know how to spell Comanche. 

I do plan on getting one of those covers just to hide stuff from people when I'm out and about. That being said, I'm worried I will have to replace it every couple years or take really really good care of it.

That makes sense to me re improper use of a factory part number.  I wonder if they ever corrected the spelling?   :dunno:

I want to put this on my MJ for the same reasons you would.  I don't leave things in my bed simply because they would be too visible.  As mentioned, this cover attaches by Velcro along the sides and back.  That's a problem in my mind because it looks awful when the cover is off.   I tried to remove the Velcro from the barn car I had and it was not easy.   it was damaged and had been baked on for years.   A better way would be to attach it with dome fasteners.  My Brother has an '87 El Camino and that's the way his tonneau is attached so although not original it would be period appropriate.

The vinyl cover would be very easy to duplicate, with or without the sports bar holes and for either 6' or 7' boxes.   Likewise the front retainer and the cross bow could be fabricated fairly easily.     

There’s two things that interest me on this booklet. One, Comanche jumper cables? Never heard of that! And two, A CELLULAR PHONE?! How would that even look?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those 2 also caught my eye! So much stuff eve never seen!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

On 2/8/2020 at 6:49 PM, eaglescout526 said:

Nope. No need to bring this down. Now everyone can see our vast book collections.

Also Pete, Look at the image the link shows. Do I see other than the standard turbine rim hub caps on those turbines?

On 2/8/2020 at 7:00 PM, Pete M said:

that's on the cover of the Venezuelan brochure and does appear to be the more common black hubcaps on a turbine rim  :L: 

This sparked my curiosity, so I went out to the workshop and did some tests.  The two center caps on the right didn't fit, but the one on the wheel fit almost like it was meant to be there.

IMG_7094.jpg