Veterans Day

Eagle

17 minutes ago, mjeff87 said:

Thanks, and thanks to all you other Vets out there. :thanks:  Hope you are all having a meaningful day

(I'm stuck here at work today.....don't ask).

We are in school. At least we had an assembly to recognize the day. But it was shorter than most of our sports assemblies. That made me a bit mad. 

2 hours ago, DIRT_NASTYY_ said:

Found some photos recently of my grandpa who served in WWII, thank you to all who served! 

F9A1CD91-7340-43ED-A18C-538827E19BC3.jpeg

My wife's grandfather was a Seabee in WW2.  He dispatched at least two enemy soldiers (that we know of) but steadfastly refused to talk about his service.  I was almost ashamed to sit at the same table as him, but he never had a foul word to say, ever.  He was the kindest, gentlest man you would ever meet.  A Shriner, and in his retirement would dress as a clown and visit sick kids in the hospital.  Incredible man, all 5'6" of him.

Your grandpa looks mighty chill just sitting up on that earth mover.  I'm sure he had some stories to tell, wether or not he chose to.:usaflag:

1 hour ago, mjeff87 said:

My wife's grandfather was a Seabee in WW2.  He dispatched at least two enemy soldiers (that we know of) but steadfastly refused to talk about his service.  I was almost ashamed to sit at the same table as him, but he never had a foul word to say, ever.  He was the kindest, gentlest man you would ever meet.  A Shriner, and in his retirement would dress as a clown and visit sick kids in the hospital.  Incredible man, all 5'6" of him.

Your grandpa looks mighty chill just sitting up on that earth mover.  I'm sure he had some stories to tell, wether or not he chose to.:usaflag:

That was pretty much the same with my grandpa, as a kid I'd always ask him to tell me stories about the war but he refused. He would rather talk about his horses and wood working haha.

The only thing he was proud of was that he claimed to be the first person to drive a Jeep across the first floating bailey bridge at the Rhine River!

Other than that, he just told me that the war was "something that had to be done, but nothing to be proud of". 

I wish I had some (I literally have none in my possession) photos of my grandfather.  He was merchant marine basically from the start of WW2.   Pretty harrowing to go through despite being a non-combat position, seeing as the convoys lost ships all the time, and often lost them with all hands.

Thanks to everyone who served.  And since I'm Canadian it's Remembrance Day, so thank you even more to those who gave the ultimate sacrifice.