Stuff on my Jeep

Hi y'all, I'm a noob here. My friend is gifting me this '89 Comanche Eliminator, 2WD 4.0 L6 OHV 12V. It has about 130,000 miles on it. I have no car maintenance experience but am pretty handy and ready for a project. 

Here's what I know so far- the truck runs but won't currently pass CA smog, the brakes need work, and needs a new windshield wiper motor. I got the factory service manuals so am hoping to take care of the manageable fixes myself and rely on a shop for the more involved issues. I'll be using it to haul garden materials in the near future and then later down the line probably more farmy work and adventuring.

My current plans:

Get all the stuff off it
Have a mechanic do an assessment/brakes
Check out the EGR valve and spark plugs

Replace the wiper motor 

Replace the driver vent window

Any advice is welcome! I'm really excited and sure I'll have lots of questions once I get into it. :comanche:

comanche.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know what values are failing, I haven't attempted to smog it myself. The owner said it's "never passed" in the 16 years he's had it. I'd like to do things by the books though. Guess we need to get it smogged to find out what the issues are.

• 3 weeks later...

Woohoo! Got her back from the mechanic last week, they replaced the catalytic converter, crankshaft pulley, drive belt, spark plugs and cables, distributor cap and rotor, valve cover gasket, freeze plugs, front brakes, and rotors. Also turned out one of the wheels was only held on by two bolts :shaking: so they secured that. With all the work done, passed smog and got it registered over the weekend. 

Next is a new vent window for the driver's side and got the wiper motor to put in. Mirrors definitely need some love and the headliner is disintegrating so want to prioritize those also.

I like the factory rims but wonder if they'll be limiting if I want to beef up the tires. Friend offered some that are 275/60-15. I believe the base size for the 89 Eliminator is 225/75-15, would sizing up to 275 be doable? Bad idea? Also contemplating lifting it a bit later on. 

I drove about 10 miles total around the neighborhood, only up to second gear and drove pretty smooth. Though seemed like the transmission was generating a noticeable amount of heat, felt really warm around the shifter. Which currently has no knob, also on my to do list!

IMG_3825.jpg

IMG_3831.jpg

IMG_3833.jpg

IMG_7862.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/26/2019 at 8:18 AM, fiatslug87 said:

Good to hear it passed smog. For 275 tires you need 9.5" wheels, also need lift and proper back spacing to avoid rubbing.

Those wheels are relatively rare so don't just throw them away.

Right on, thanks for the tip! I think I’ll keep the wheels, I do like them!

On 11/26/2019 at 9:44 AM, thecodemonk said:

Sweet!  Congrats on passing smog!  

Looks like a good base for a project...though what happened to the front bumper? 

Thanks! The front bumper is pretty wonky, was pushed in at some point from a collision I think.

On 11/26/2019 at 5:56 PM, Pete M said:

heat around the shifter is common and likely comes from the engine heat, not the trans.  Usually a noticeable amount of heat means the inner boot has come apart. 

great to see the truck is up and running! :L: 

Ah ok good to know. Is the inner boot the same as a CV boot? Learning as I go! 

I’ve done some tinkering and put in the new wiper motor though it’s still not working. I think I’ll try putting new bushings in and maybe it’s a circuit breaker issue?

Also started putting in the vent glass and can’t figure out how to pull the top cap off of this handle piece to attach to the outside of the glass. I tried popping it off and attempted to unscrew it but no dice. Any tips?

10433B9A-7A14-47B8-A66E-117DE2AB302B.jpeg

Vent window is now complete! I used 3/64″ setting tape for the edge in the window channel, could be a bit more snug but I think it will be ok. Was able to carefully get the pin back in the handle. No more raccoons are getting in here!

IMG_4074.jpg.6e5be14a053f8c5f25c1ad3a8342f809.jpg

I also pulled out the headliner and stripped it. Pretty gnarly, not super smooth. I saw some folks have used sealer and fiberglass to smooth out the board, thinking some kind of touch up like that would help the foam lay flat on it. 

IMG_4063.jpg.78c52097818da945f4e1d27a04750637.jpg

IMG_4067_copy.jpg.4ba9d70ad434493d153f2b65f4474a4d.jpg

IMG_4070_copy.jpg.680bc1e9879a06bf04381a13fa911182.jpg

I have a bench seat that was pulled out of an MJ, that I'd like to swap in for the bucket seats I currently have. Found lots of posts on bench to bucket swaps but not the other way around. Can I pull out or modify the center console to fit the bench? Should work to replace with something like this, yeah? 

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/17/2019 at 11:58 PM, jazzyjeeper said:

I have a bench seat that was pulled out of an MJ, that I'd like to swap in for the bucket seats I currently have. Found lots of posts on bench to bucket swaps but not the other way around. Can I pull out or modify the center console to fit the bench? Should work to replace with something like this, yeah? 

yes, that is the center console for the benches. :L:   note that in 1990 the benches got headrests so the back window was no longer the thing stopping you from whiplash.  oh, and Raybuck makes brand new bench covers in multiple fabrics and colors so you don't need to find a perfect bench. :D  

• 1 year later...

Reunited with my truck after a hiatus. Never posted pics of the bench I upholstered last year and my quartz shifter knob (my artsy side is starting to come out). Pretty happy with them. I also made new sun visors and got some help with the headliner. 

Below are two pics of the restoration job currently being done. It's going to look like a whole new truck soon.

IMG_6079.jpg.77e8a4a01f7d5c7e751c8fbded95483c.jpg

IMG_4376.jpg.0c35198034c5b6a25be4bc9b1605b3d5.jpg

IMG_4402.jpg.c79407b269787d33058a5f7058ff85bc.jpg