Noob saying hello

derf

I just joined up.  Certainly not new to Jeeps.  I've had a couple of XJs, a bunch of full size SJs, a CJ and a JK.  I'm mostly here to do some research on a project I want to do.  Looking to find a short bed MJ to build into a rock crawler and may be picking up one (or two) this weekend.  I'm looking towards doing a long arm with coil overs in the front with spring over in the rear to run 37's on some swapped in axles.  I'm in the information gathering phase so I'll mostly be lurking instead of asking all the questions everyone has already posted about.

That's a bit of a stretch for me to go get from Colorado.  There's a pair of good builder candidates just south of me.  I'm going to see about picking them up this weekend.  They really are builder candidates.  Rough shape but I'd rather start with one of those for a dedicated trail rig than mess up a "nice" one.

18 minutes ago, JustEmptyEveryPocket said:

That statement right there lets me know we could be good friends. I don't mind a built rig, just don't break down something nice to make it.

Welcome to CC!

:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, thecodemonk said:

Welcome! Once you start building, please keep us to to date with a build thread! We love drawing inspiration from each other :)

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Will do.  I'm going to look at the pair today.  Though they will sit idle until at least this next spring as I am also working on moving into a new house  early in 2020.

They're both 2WD, one being a 4 cyl.  Depending on exactly the condition, I may part one out or try to do something with both.  That's assuming they're in good enough shape.

The plan for the trail rig is a long arm in the front with coil  overs, a spring over in the rear with a traction bar.  Cut the fender and set up bump stops to clear 37's.  I'm going to find a donor for a high pinion 44 front and 9" rear.  I'm also going to find a donor XJ and transplant the automatic transmission (along with the rest of the wiring harness and other goodies), probably installing a stroker 4.6 at the same time.  Though I still haven't ruled out swapping in a Cummins R2.8/4L60E combo depending on if the local emissions referee will bless the swap.

On 10/9/2019 at 8:14 PM, derf said:

That's a bit of a stretch for me to go get from Colorado.  There's a pair of good builder candidates just south of me.  I'm going to see about picking them up this weekend.  They really are builder candidates.  Rough shape but I'd rather start with one of those for a dedicated trail rig than mess up a "nice" one.

Thank you for being wise enough to recognize that. There aren't many nice Comanches around, so it always hurts me to see someone thake a nice one and then chop it up and bash it over rocks. There are rough ones that are better suited for such duty -- and they're cheaper to buy in the first place.