Pros/cons of buying an ‘84 XJ

Incommando

I am thinking of buying an ‘84 XJ 2dr 2.5L 4-spd 4x4. The body is in good shape for around here but it has 180,000 on it.   Besides the miles my concern is the one-year only nature of the ‘84.  It seems it has a lot of exclusive items like the one-barrel carb. The main negative is that the door seals leak badly and the floors are damp but not rusted through yet. 

Thoughts?

3 hours ago, Incommando said:

Well he is firm at 1200 and it has issues such as a push button start and a $299 spray it all paint job.  I passed. 

In other words, he doesn't want to sell it.

16 hours ago, Eagle said:

In other words, he doesn't want to sell it.

He also might be stupid.  People see adds for them with ridiculous prices and think they're worth that. 

There was a 97+ with a rusted through roof, miled right out, and other issues (wouldn't shift into OD or something, I don't remember), it was local and the asking price was $1200.  All I wanted was the doors and some odds and ends.  I said I'd do $800 and show up with my trailer, no test drive and no further haggling.  They said no.  Two weeks later they were begging me to give them the $800, but nope, I'd gone to work and wouldn't be back for two more weeks.  The guy wound up getting $500 for it because he needed the cash sooner than I'd be back.

:crazy: