Should I do a 97+ front clip?

there is nothing to gain other than more modern looks.  and by "more modern" I mean you'd be replacing 30 year old parts with 20 year old parts so modern is a relative term here. :dunno:  I prefer the classic look.

3 hours ago, bigmistake said:

I keep going back and forth over whether or not I want to a front clip conversion.  Do you gain anything by going with newer hardware?

Anyone regret updating their front clip after doing it?

Kind of a nonsense post... :laugh:

Excellent question. 

Spend your energy being original, why on earth would you want to do anything that everyone else is already doing?

And besides, the new old thing is a bore already, don't be a bore. 

:P

1F3Uiwx.jpg

Just my opinion and it is worth all you paid for it!

I like the idea of the 97+ doors for the one piece window.  But can not see any actual value in the newer front clip.

Also, I have a complete XJ Waggy front with the 4 headlamps stashed in the garage.  If I ever get around to painting the Diesel Comanche, I may use the Waggy front.  But those old 4 lamp headlights do not perform very well at all.

In the end, it's your truck and your money.  So whatever turns you on!

I want power windows, door locks and power mirrors.  And it doesn't hurt that I still need to rekey my existing doors to match the ignition switch.  Forgot about that.

Also, 97+ power windows are much cheaper to fix right than the 96> power windows.  Lots of small upgrades in the 97+ doors

8 minutes ago, johnj92131 said:

I want power windows, door locks and power mirrors.  And it doesn't hurt that I still need to rekey my existing doors to match the ignition switch.  Forgot about that.

Also, 97+ power windows are much cheaper to fix right than the 96> power windows.  Lots of small upgrades in the 97+ doors

Yep and I'll have all that without the ugly switch panel

13 minutes ago, johnj92131 said:

Does the existing harness have everything you need to plug in the windows/locks/mirrors?  Or is there something else you need to pull?

The doors are an upgrade worth talking about for all the reasons listed above. The front clip is a matter of taste. I don't care for it, but I'm one of those dirty purists that DirtyComanche mentioned.

As far as I know, no MJs that didn't have PW/PL are "wired for it" in that you can just plug window regulators and lock actuators in and have it work. Through '92 all of that is on a subharness that plugs into the fuse box that can be added with absolutely no changes to the existing wiring. Starting in I think '93 it is more integrated into the dash harness, and I have no clue on the specifics of that.

When I added (year correct) power windows and locks to my 91, I snatched the cross-body and door wiring from a '92 and all of the other stuff from various 91-96 XJs. Didn't have to touch the wiring on my truck, and with some small modifications to the cross-body harness it all plugged into the fuse box.

2 hours ago, bigmistake said:

Does the existing harness have everything you need to plug in the windows/locks/mirrors?  Or is there something else you need to pull?

As Jeremy posted above.  The answer is NO.  Taking everything from an XJ is one solution.  Think Jeremy used <96 doors, not 97+ doors.  So to do the 97+ doors may be a little different.

Don posted a number of time a schematic diagram to simply make the required harness, which is what Don did.  Keep in mind the <96 power mirror harness has a 2 wire plug and the  97+ power mirror harness has 3 wires  (could have it backwards?).  Not a big deal, there is a posted solution in the DIY section.