welding axle housings

Hello, Looking for comments and solutions to welding on axle housings. Well for you guys that have been there-done that, have you had housing warp or bow from the welding. What can be done to prevent warping when installing perches , braces, shock mounts, etc----. Just asking as I plan to put a 8.8 ford at some point. Thanks Paul

Perches and shock mounts are typically welded to the axle tubes, not to the differential housing. It's extremely unlikely that you would (or could) warp a tube by welding something to it. The factory spring perches certainly look like they were welded with continuous beads, not a bunch of spot or tack welds.

Welding a brace (or anything) to the differential housing is a different matter. Those are cast iron (or cast steel), and that requires different welding techniques (that I consider to be over my head).

If you are just swapping in the 8.8 you will be fine welding the perches on without worry.  Stitch the welds like stated above and you'll have no issues.  If you plan on adding a truss kit or something that will weld to the diff, it's a different story.

I swapped a C8.25 into my truck and just welded half the bead at a time and swapped ends of the axle between passes and it turned out similar to Jeep Driver's picture above.

Thanks for the encouraging info. Helps relieve the thought of warped housing. As it turns out there may be a d44 axel available instead from a 79 wagoneer. Have a feeling it may be to wide though it from a narrow body wagoner. Anyway thanks guys, Paul

Thanks for the encouraging info. Helps relieve the thought of warped housing. As it turns out there may be a d44 axel available instead from a 79 wagoneer. Have a feeling it may be to wide though it from a narrow body wagoner. Anyway thanks guys, Paul

79 (actually all ‘74-91 full size) 4 Dr wagons are within an inch of width wheel mounting surface to WMS at both ends. The rims are a different offset to make it sit wider and also pre ‘80 are offfset axles on the wrong side at both ends. (Front is passenger side till ‘80 and rear is quadratrac offset to the right as well)

J10s and 2 Dr Cherokees are too wide unless you find the oddball narrowtrac 2dr without fender flares.

Model 20 rear came in ‘80 until ‘88ish when the Grand Wagoneers (84-91) went back to D44 as M20s went to the Humvee production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, tarmac2dirt said:

The bolt pattern won't be right...  But as Carnuck was getting at, it will be within an inch of the width of your existing axle; actually it will be an inch narrower.

As to the original question, the factory welds brackets on in a single pass...  While doing shorter welds and moving around is good practice, it is not strictly necessary.

5 hours ago, tarmac2dirt said:

A 79 Wagoneer was a full-size. The hubs will be 6-bolt.