Stutter/Sputter/Uphill-lane change Power Loss

Afternoon,

Tried looking for this through the search, found a few topics, though on other engines and model years. Which are similar in nature of symptoms/signs.

Took it to a mechanic as I am unable to work on vehicle repairs while in the apartment building premises, nor can I have a mobile mechanic come out to take a look, so repairs are through the roof.

Have had Distributor, rodor, insulated cables, sparks, manifold intake gasket, head valve cover gasket, and fuel filter all replaced and a nice fancy oil change completed. Problems seem to be getting worse especially going above 40MPH or anything more than a light foot on the accelerator, anything past an inch and she starts to choke, cough, and then backfire. The next thing they would like to do is fuel pump.

Was wondering if this last thing does not fix it, where would I look to find the right fix, because I truly do want to send her away to a nursing home to be ripped apart.

Should also note, where I picked her up from they did make a few modifications, that I am still very unclear what they did as they blew me off when asked.

4 hours ago, 87MJTIM said:

Does yours have a cat?  If so, then it may be clogged.

If you don't have a cat, then may be fuel delivery.

Cat converter was my first thought as well.  

I would be testing things before replacing.  

I'm sorry, but it sounds like you're paying someone to fire the parts cannon at it? You either need to find another shop that will actually do some diagnostics on it, or find somewhere you can work on it yourself. 

I've had a few similar issues sure. A dying fuel pump could do it, but they need to confirm the problem first, whether or not it has adequate fuel pressure, if the fuel pump is getting proper voltage, if it's got a good ground... there are common failure points in the wiring on both ends.

I've also had a failed throttle position sensor do similar, because then it's relying on the o2 sensor to adjust mixture, and can't respond to sudden changes in throttle. 

I've also had a bad cam/sync sensor do it...

the list goes on. 

I had some similar issues after brining my MJ to a shop when I first bought it to have it checked out, they wanted todo $2000 worth of work on it and when I told them they where crazy they didn’t seem to happy About it....turns out accident or not when they where doing an inspection somehow 2 of my fuel injectors magicly disconnected themselves and created a massive issue, i noticed it was down a bit on power but anywhere past half throttle I had a massive backfire and 9 foot flames spitting out my tail pipe, took her home and noticed the injectors disconnected and a few other odd things fumbled with that I wasent happy with , not saying your shops are as crooked as the ones around here but it’s always worth a shot Incase the magical injector decided it wanted to pop off, it’s a long shot but worth a mention hopefully!

• 2 years later...

Sorry folks for not responding. I did figure out what the problem was, and had them fix it like they should have done in the first place without an extra charges. Also now days I have been able to do my work instead of relying on overpriced Mechanics here in Minneapolis.

Unfortunately that is what they told me, and no longer have the invoices unfortunately. Later on found out that they were using the same fuel pump and not changing out the assembly, took it to Midas a year or so later and they just replaced the whole assembly and everything worked fine afterward.