Motor rebuild/replace

I am wanting to replace my motor in my 91 it’s the 4.0 h.o. What I am seeing is that this particular year is different from 90 down and is different than the 92-95’s. What I am seeing as remanufactured engines is for Cherokee nothing Comanche specific, but every website says 91 is in its on year range only specifically for the manual transmission can anyone tell me why exactly?

C2443C38-9C0A-435A-B301-16E04B9A4894.png

19642D81-7DFD-4D23-8C03-385A78682B5A.png

C228BFFD-4261-4096-9AD8-2A69BA383FD0.png

4326A38A-D9DA-4D6D-9421-A36F5C34417B.png

I agree 100% on learning and accumulating the tools and I will once I have a shop but I don’t want to do a motor job under a shade tree and really want to get this truck running before summer gets here. And central Alabama we have tons of machine shops but nobody pulls the motors and has them sent to them anymore they just say buy a crate it will cost as much.

6 minutes ago, Jlang said:

I agree 100% on learning and accumulating the tools and I will once I have a shop but I don’t want to do a motor job under a shade tree and really want to get this truck running before summer gets here. And central Alabama we have tons of machine shops but nobody pulls the motors and has them sent to them anymore they just say buy a crate it will cost as much.

Got it. 

How are you going to get this engine out?

280,000+ miles I just want to replace it it’s drives but blows oil out breather hose into airbox I’m try and fix that before I do the job of course but it’s just time I want a reliable daily driver.

15 hours ago, Jlang said:

So why not buy a junkyard motor with a warranty and swap that in yourself on a weekend or pay an auto shop to do a quick swap?  Would save you tons of money rather than going reman.

That'll get it running before summer and when you eventually get the space to rebuild, rebuild the motor that's in it now when you don't have a time crunch because the truck is still driveable with the junkyard engine in it.

I agree with Dzimm.   There is a real good possibility to obtain a very decent engine from a junkyard, in which case, rebuilding your old engine becomes unnecessary, or at the very least, a low priority.

Many junkyards will offer some level of warranty on a used engine, which would increase the confidence in buying used.

6 hours ago, Jeep Driver said:

You'll do that once and you'll never do it again. I have and 4 months later it came out again.

Their warranty is YOUR sweat and bloody knuckle. 

These are not low mile late model engines. 

I think a LOT of how well a used engine performs has to do with the junkyard in question.   The really good junkyards pull good engines from low-mileage vehicles and store them indoors.  

The lesser bone yards let the potential buyer find the engine out in the vehicle, exposed to the elements, and let him take a chance...

Sorry but this will be a truck I would want to drive from Talladega al to Michigan and back ima rack up the miles but mainly I want it incredibly reliable and new sounds like the way I want to go with it.

just keep in mind that "new" doesn't necessarily equate to 100% reliable.  I've seen reman engines fail.  :(  and I've seen chinese sensors fail right out of the box.  try to get OEM/Mopar stuff whenever possible :L: 

I know you said you don’t want to do a shade tree engine rebuild, but one of the guys I know pulled the motor out of his truck in the apartment parking lot, put it in his living room. Rebuilt it inside then swapped it back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So why not buy a junkyard motor with a warranty and swap that in yourself on a weekend or pay an auto shop to do a quick swap?  Would save you tons of money rather than going reman.

That'll get it running before summer and when you eventually get the space to rebuild, rebuild the motor that's in it now when you don't have a time crunch because the truck is still driveable with the junkyard engine in it.
I did this in my WJ. I got this from a guy that overheated his. Radiator cracked and he drove it till it quit. I bought it for $400. Went to a UPullit and found a wrecked WJ hit very hard in the rear (hmmm, that means it was running when it got hit...) My job was easy. Transmission was broken so bellhousing bolts were easy to get to. Lots of stuff already gone up top. $350 minus the core return I'm only in for $650 total. Took it home did a complete reseal for $100. Its running for less than a grand. Its been very dependable for 3 years now...good luck

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

Titan have a bit of a mixed reputation in the stroker community. Not sure about their regular reman engines. You might be better off with an ATK engine. A bit more but a decent reputation. I have one of their strokers (they build for Mopar) has been ok so far.