I bought a parts truck

I bought a '86 Comanche this past weekend. I got it mainly for the rear axle. It is an AMC 20 with 4.10 gears and Trac-loc. The guy I bought it from said it had 3.73 gears but the build sheet was literally laying in the front seat and I looked it up. The code is CC.  I think it was a good score. I'm going to take what I want for mine and sell the rest. It has a tilt wheel and glove box light I want and appear to be ok. The engine is a 4 banger but is supposedly blown. It has a 5 speed and a NP 207 transfer case. Condition unknown. There are some good parts and when the weather gets better I will tear into it and see what is good. Stay tuned.

2 minutes ago, kansashogan said:

$200 for truck, $75 for a used set of tires and wheels, $76 for a U haul trailer and gas to go get it. I had to sell the boss on the idea I that I could sell some parts and make some or all my money back. I think I will.

Good deal!

Their are guys here that need your 2.5 parts.

Eagle, the interior and under the hood are a real mess. I poked a hole in the driver floor pan but I don't think they are so far gone they couldn't be repaired.  No title, the guy I bought it from said he bought it from a salvage yard. 

JeepSchmidt, I will have to investigate further on trans. I looked the VIN up online and it said it was a 5 speed, floor shift, part time 4x4, NP207.  I will admit this is new to me so I have some learning to do. Parts of the engine are gone but the rest of the drive train is there.

Hey Kansas, I did the same thing to an 86.   except I paid out $300 and 75 in tow fees.   I got my money back and got some parts I needed for my 88 MJ.  I just sent a cab corner to Iowa.

The poor ole 86, had a rusted out floor board and frame and a trash tranny.   But there are lots of pieces and parts that are needed to keep other MJ's running and looking good.  

IN a way you will be keeping part of the ole truck alive thru another MJ.   LOL  hookie.

Plus you should have a usable rear axle and bed.

7 hours ago, JeepSchmidt O'Guinness said:

Double check the identification of the gear box. Don't want ya trying to sell an AX-5 when its really a puegot.

The Peugeot BA 10/5 transmission was introduced in the 1987 model year, behind the 4.0L engine. It was not offered in the 1986 model year. Tranny is almost certainly an AX-5. If not that, it would be a T5, but I don't think AMC/Jeep was still using the T5 as an alternate OEM tranny in 1986.