Wheels

You're in the US?

Search Summit Racing for AR 767 or Crager Soft 8.  Probably the cheapest decent steel wheels you can get.  Pro Comp also can be had cheap, but I'm not sure Summit is the best dealer for them, and for some reason their load ratings always seem to be pretty low. :confused:

2 hours ago, DirtyComanche said:

You're in the US?

Search Summit Racing for AR 767 or Crager Soft 8.  Probably the cheapest decent steel wheels you can get.  Pro Comp also can be had cheap, but I'm not sure Summit is the best dealer for them, and for some reason their load ratings always seem to be pretty low. :confused:

Okay I’ll take a look at them, I know sometimes I can get like 15% off on 4wheeldrive.com depending if they’re offering it so 

1 hour ago, mancheflo said:

Okay I’ll take a look at them, I know sometimes I can get like 15% off on 4wheeldrive.com depending if they’re offering it so 

Try Amazon too.  I got a set of Procomps for about 50% off.

Like Pete said, make sure the backspacing will work.  Pushing the tires out often makes them interfere with the fenders, unless they're been cut or you have lift.

yes.  the higher the backspace number, the more the tire tucks in under the flares.  the lower the number, the more they stick out (and the bigger the scrub radius and the more the touch the flares when turning)

if you pull one off, you can measure and know for sure. :L:  

There is a reason aluminum wheels are considered an upgrade over steel wheels, and it's not (only) the appearance.

Aluminum wheels are much lighter than steel wheels.  This reduces unsprung weight and can give better handling, braking, and acceleration.  Plus, they are much easier to handle when rotating your tires!  I rotated the tires on my XJ (factory aluminum) and MJ (factory steel) the same day and was surprised at how much heavier the steel rims are.

Aluminum also doesn't rust and is less likely to bend (although they can crack instead).  I've bent steel wheels on two occasions (hint: don't get airborne or ram snow banks).

Some will say a heavy steel wheel can help off road by "pulling" the suspension down during extreme articulation so it can contact the ground and get traction.  I think that is really reaching for a "benefit" of steel wheels.

aluminum may not rust, but salt-belt guys will tell you that it still corrodes. :(  it gets under the protective clearcoat and goes to town on it.  eventually it'll get to the bead area and cause slow leaks.  But, just like with steel, you can easily slow the progress with washing.  thorough washing.  be sure to get under that center cap. :L:  that's usually where it starts

I'm insanely curious to see what will happen to the aluminum bodied trucks in a few years.  salt kills all.  :fistshake2: 

9 hours ago, Pete M said:

I'm insanely curious to see what will happen to the aluminum bodied trucks in a few years.  salt kills all.  :fistshake2: 

They make them from a "military grade alloy", oh, wait, it's 6111 and the military doesn't use that for anything.  It should last okay for the first phase of their life, after that the corrosion will likely go intergranular and it will be impossible to repair.  5-10 years, just long enough to ensure the warranty has expired.

You get what you pay for. 

High quality aluminum wheels are not lightweight, mine are 40lbs each. 

Guys talk about finish wear and corrosion.........again, what you pay for. 

There are plenty of aftermarket wheels with 5" BS, shop around. Close enough to stock.

If you are cheap and abusive, get steel. If you want quality, get aluminum, look to the high-end brands.