When I did mine, I drilled the studs out (they all broke but one) and just used 1/4" bots, nuts and washers to replace them (no welding) along with Th drilled out brackets (they also act to reinforce Th fender lip).

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I used penetrating oil several times over a couple of days before removing one of my flares.  I still managed to break 3 of them.  Hard to see that you're going to break one until it happens.  Next one I will likely take the wheel off and use a dremel and rotary brush on the threads after oil and see if that improves my success rate.

you should definitely not listen to me and you should definitely try and give it every chance of being reusable, but... I don't even pretend anymore. :(  the studs are made of some weak crappy metal and I've had them snap on rust free trucks.  and so I've found the 20v 1/4" impact gun makes quick work of snapping off the studs. :D 

37 minutes ago, Pete M said:

you should definitely not listen to me and you should definitely try and give it every chance of being reusable, but... I don't even pretend anymore. :(  the studs are made of some weak crappy metal and I've had them snap on rust free trucks.  and so I've found the 20v 1/4" impact gun makes quick work of snapping off the studs. :D 

Hey work smarter not harder right?!

21 hours ago, Pete M said:

I expect I will be heading down that road as well on my next flare. I'd rather be fishing.  :))

• 1 year later...

I'm bringing this topic back to life!  I need to remove my '87 Sport Truck's flares.  I assume those many 10 mm nuts are behind the plastic inner fenders.  My inner fenders are very brittle.  If I break the inner fenders, is it possible to replace them with something home-made? 

How does the flare attach to the mounting plates?   I'll go ahead and plan on the nuts breaking off.  

The reason I need them off is to get my Comanche painted.  My painter doesn't want to mask them off.  He rather have them off the truck.  

9 hours ago, 87MJJeep said:

How does the flare attach to the mounting plates?   I'll go ahead and plan on the nuts breaking off.  

They don't "attach." The mounting plates slide inside the flares, between the outer part (which is what you see) and the inner flange. The studs on the plates extend through the flare, through the fender, and get held in place by the flange nuts inside the fender.