Time for new steering componants.

Hey guys, it’s been a while since l have been here but my old Heep has been pretty reliable for the past few years but, it’s now time to do the ball joints, tie rod and ends and bearings. Looking for recomendations for specific brands that you like and why. Also, possibly interested in the one ton ball joints and rod ends so tell me what is involved in that kind of conversion, have you done it and would you do it again?

Moog makes a good product.  :L:  stock stuff works great on a stock truck, but I would upgrade to the v8 ZJ drag link.  (or was it the tie rod?)  one of those comes extra beefy on the v8 ZJs and is a bolt-in upgrade. 

V8 ZJ tie rod as suggested is a great, easy upgrade or any solid tie rod. The stocker is as useful as a wiffle ball bat. Other than that Moog for the rest. They make decent stuff and have a fair warranty. don't bother with 1 ton stuff. If you really want to fix the geometry and improve everything go with a WJ swap. Not cheap but really a great upgrade. Better brakes better geometry. General idea of parts involed and some cost. 

http://www.stinkyfab.com/sfr-high-roller-wj-steering-brake-kit-xj-mj/

An added incidental while you're at it.  This from Hornbrod some months back. 

Read down to my question about which part as there is some confusion about which one of two is correct at the beginning of the thread.

I found it a worthwhile addition.

1 hour ago, DesertRat1991 said:

1991- 2001 XJ/MJ use the same drag link as the ZJ.   In this case, you just need the upgraded tie rod.

1990 and older XJ/MJ use a smaller drag link TRE and adjustment sleeve.   In this case, upgrade both drag link and tie rod assemblies.  

Thanks, mine's an 88 so I'll do the drag link also. :L:

10 minutes ago, chopper35nj said:

Thank you all for the input, l have a good idea what direction to go in. 

Chopper, if you decide to replace the drag link also, upon further research I found several posts on different forums that while the ZJ drag link will work, the geometry is apparently a little different and could throw off alignment etc. I found that the Moog #DS1238 is the proper drag link for an MJ/XJ but is a larger diameter than stock and the same thickness as the ZJ unit (Moog #DS1310). 

On 1/2/2019 at 11:33 AM, DesertRat1991 said:

1991- 2001 XJ/MJ use the same drag link as the ZJ.   In this case, you just need the upgraded tie rod.

1990 and older XJ/MJ use a smaller drag link TRE and adjustment sleeve.   In this case, upgrade both drag link and tie rod assemblies.  

I have read that the 1991-2001 xj/ mj drag link is different than one from a 93-98 V8 ZJ. It has to do with how the steering stabilizer bolts up.

My research shows to use the 1991-2001 xj drag link with the 93-98 V8 ZJ tie rod

Hope this helps.

3 minutes ago, WahooSteeler said:

Chopper, if you decide to replace the drag link also, upon further research I found several posts on different forums that while the ZJ drag link will work, the geometry is apparently a little different and could throw off alignment etc. I found that the Moog #DS1238 is the proper drag link for an MJ/XJ but is a larger diameter than stock and the same thickness as the ZJ unit (Moog #DS1310). 

You beat me to it Wahoo, I have read the same info.

29 minutes ago, WahooSteeler said:

I agree with part number Moog #DS1238 for drag link. But for tie rod I have part number Moog #DS1312.  Make sure tie rod is for a V8 ZJ.

Tie rod ends are Moog#ES3096L , you will need 2 of them.

Adjuster sleeve is Moog#ES2079S , you will need 2 of them.

Please correct me if you think these numbers are not correct. I spent some time researching this and it can get confusing.

Wow, thanks again guys. All good info. My origional thought was to go with all Moog parts and l see that my first instinct was correct. I have heard some feed back on a decline in quality but it still seems to be the choice of most. I am still concidering going with Timken bearings instead.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/30/2019 at 7:13 PM, zomeizter said:

Dudes, are these the correct items to upgrade my MJ's steering?

MJupgradedSteering.JPG

I reckon the picture is not clear. Just to make sure I order the correct upgrade items, my cart contains the following MOOG parts:

DS1238 x1 (XJ)

DS1312 x1 (ZJ)

ES3096L x2 (ZJ)

ES2079S x2 (ZJ)

I will be installing these together with a 4-5" lift, is a Pitman arm or any other steering component required/recommended?