Sign in to follow this  
Pete M

any suggestions for a studfinder that works? like *every* time. even a couple years later

I'm sick of buying new studfinders.  :furious2:will throwing money at it solve this issue? 

A finely tuned set of knuckles and eardrum have done a reasonable job for me. 

My dad has a Craftsman that has to be almost as old as I am that works pretty darn good, although it doesn't have the fancy gadgets more modern ones do, like for finding wiring and stuff like that. I don't really have better suggestions, sorry. 

34+ years in the trades and never had one. 

Measure off the side of a receptacle, 16" OC, generally. 

Every wall gives framing away if you know what to look for. 

I've got an el cheapo one I bought at Lowe's or somewhere a couple three years ago....it works reasonably well.

To be sure/confirm, I use a small finishing nail through the drywall to test.  If I miss a stud, it's a barely noticeable hole in the drywall to fix.

I've had the same one for more than 25 years. Still works. Don't remember the brand or where I bought it but, knowing me, it wasn't uber-expensive.

I have a few old yellow ones. Zircon I think. Have had for over 20 + years. Still works great. Probably bought at the depot. 

I finally got the walabot.  it's awesome :D  it even told me there were metal studs in the one wall at church where I was trying to hang a baby changing station.  metsl studs require different screws and so I got it right the first time  :banana: