California Fires

HOrnbrod

Smokey here today and I can't imagine what is like closer to the fires. I could see the reddish glow in the sky from the Woolsey Fire last night. Considering I'm near downtown LA with all the city lights, that's a lot of energy. Hope all CC members and their families are doing okay up North. We don't have a lot of space here, but if anyone needs a couch to crash on or help in anyway in SoCal, just let us know.

Screen Shot 2018-11-10 at 12.56.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-10 at 12.57.34 PM.png

What I just read on another forum, posted by a California resident, is that the fire is suspected of having been started by a malfunction in a PG&E (Pacific Gas & Electric) high-tension transmission line. Apparently, the enviro-weenies have pushed through legislation that restricts the public utility companies' ability to keep brush and undergrowth under control in their rights-of-way.

Oops.

Got another couple of emails from Charlie. Not good. House, out buildings, and his MJ and XJ, all gone. Nothing left but the chimney and mail box. His family are all well and his son and family also lost everything. I received his permission to share what happened with y'all. We're wishing you the best Charlie.

"Thanks Don,

Like I said all my people are safe although my son and his young family also lost their home.  Feel free to tell the story to the CC group.  We're doing OK, have alternate housing and nobody is hurt or worse.  The whole area is in shock.  6400 homes lost so we're not alone. Now to get to work rebuilding our town.   

Charlie, ParadiseMJ"

image.jpeg.9de5adc46cc9f55bc3658d3c761cdb4b.jpeg

18 hours ago, Eagle said:

What I just read on another forum, posted by a California resident, is that the fire is suspected of having been started by a malfunction in a PG&E (Pacific Gas & Electric) high-tension transmission line. Apparently, the enviro-weenies have pushed through legislation that restricts the public utility companies' ability to keep brush and undergrowth under control in their rights-of-way.

Oops.

Eagle,

Not much anyone can do to stop a fire driven by 60 mile per hour Santa Ana winds, except to get the heck out of there way.  No amount of trimming the under brush will halt that kind of a firestorm.  These fires create their own weather that sucks in fresh air and push the flames harder.  No doubt you have seen the pictures of the "firenado".  

Quite frankly, the California legislature has demanded the utility companies do MORE to clear their right of ways.  Not less.  Enough of the politics "blame game" from me.

During the 2004  Cedar Fire in San Diego - the fire jumped over Interstate 15 at a point where the freeway was 24 lanes wide.  That was 100 yards wide of concrete and  bare ground. 

Absolutely incredible to see.  Then the winds change direction very quickly and the fire was not able to jump over the Interstate 805 freeway only 5 miles away from the 15 freeway. It burned back to the mountains.

My girlfriend in Topanga Canyon been evacuated sense Friday due to the Woolsey fire. Still can’t get to her home. Roads closed due to flare ups. Her home as not burned one of the lucky ones. Lots of people still missing in these fires. Yesterday’s death toll was at 59. Pics are of last Fri night.

i
IMG_2412.jpeg
IMG_5668.jpeg

The small lights in front of the fire are homes burning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My girlfriend in Topanga Canyon been evacuated sense Friday due to the Woolsey fire. Still can’t get to her home. Roads closed due to flare ups. Her home as not burned one of the lucky ones. Lots of people still missing in these fires. Yesterday’s death toll was at 59. Pics are of last Fri night.

i
IMG_2412.jpeg
IMG_5668.jpeg

The small lights in front of the fire are homes burning.

b1e311830660a89f488b840d0980b4f6.jpg

Thanks guys,

It's been a helluva week.  Lots of horror stories about getting out of the hills.  Lots of heroic stories about saving each others bacon, lots did not get saved.  Don't know if you have seen the film of our Sheriff, but he is a rock star.  Firefighters from everywhere in the western states...5500 firefighters + support staff.  Still can't get up there to look at our place, but the whole place is toast.  Looking for rentals in Chico is next to impossible.  We're moving 80 miles away just to find a house available.  

As far as my MJ/XJ go...gone.  Since I had to look for 2 years to find my MJ I don't think I'm going to look again.  My insurance company gave me 6K for it, which surprised the hell out of me.  There's a whole bunch of people much worse off than us.  My son and daughter are going whole hog helping people, my nephew came up from San Jose with 2 full size trucks and trailers with stuff people need.  I was volunteering at the shelters feeding folks, in between covering my own butt and finding a roof.  

So, I'll be around once in a while, but I'm a tad too old too start all over laying in a gravel driveway wrenching on the old boy.

Cheers

Very glad you and your family made it out safe.  It's very noble of you and your family to help out others in need even under your own terrible circumstances.  That says a lot about what kind of people you are.  

Best of luck to you and everyone else affected by this tragedy.  :usaflag:

53 minutes ago, ParadiseMJ said:

So, I'll be around once in a while, but I'm a tad too old too start all over laying in a gravel driveway wrenching on the old boy.

Nonsense Charlie. You're still a youngster, plenty of time for another MJ. You'll be busy as hell for awhile, maybe quite awhile, but when you have everything straight, it'll be MJ time again. No hurry. Check in from time to time, we'll be waiting for you mate.   :beerchug:

The fire was/is an incredible tragedy and I'm sure we all mourn those who didn't survive, as well as all the homes and lives that have been destroyed. I'm glad to know that you and your family are not only okay, but that you're busy helping others instead of dwelling on your losses and licking your wounds.

Don't be a stranger. You're family around here.

Don't be a stranger. You're family around here.

damn straight :beerchug:

6 grand should easily be able to buy one that doesn't need all that work. :L:  But I totally understand that being at the bottom of the list right now.  I don't even have much, but I can't imagine having to suddenly start over with nothing that I have right now.  :(  

Thoughts are with you paradise. Hope you make that decision when things have calmed down. We could help you find another when the time comes. I have allot of parts I could donate if needed. More then a few pop up on Craigslist here in LA. But l can help if you decide later to replace it. Best of luck to you and your family.

• 3 weeks later...