Rear Window repair/replacement

My rear slider window one of the pane was broken (not the slider).  I talk to my local auto glass guy about just repairing the broken pane and he said he couldn't repair it. Any ideas on repair? Also have anyone used this window here https://www.carid.com/cr-laurence/sliding-window-mpn-edv700s.html?singleid=78783648&url=88482808  and got photos of it installed on a Comanche? If you have it install what is your thoughts on it?

Thanks

The issue is the glass is specific to the MJ factory three window rear slider.  Each of the three panes is unique and no longer made.

I have plexiglass in the driver side pane on my 92's factory slider.  To correct, I've obtained a second factory slider with good glass (but a marginal frame), and will be using the driver pane from that to correct my issue.  I haven't done it yet, but that's my repair solution.

The problems are that (a) the glass is curved, not flat, and (b) the rear glass is tempered, not laminated. You can't use epoxy injection to repair tempered glass like you can with laminated windshield glass. Your options are to find another factory MJ window, install an aftermarket slider, or use plexiglas to make a replacement panel. If there are any old-school glass shops in your area, you might find one that will cut a flat replacement for you using laminated safety glass, and that would be better than plexiglas, bit it'll still be flat and not match the original.

• 1 month later...
On 9/14/2018 at 9:25 PM, kryptronic said:

The issue is the glass is specific to the MJ factory three window rear slider.  Each of the three panes is unique and no longer made.

I have plexiglass in the driver side pane on my 92's factory slider.  To correct, I've obtained a second factory slider with good glass (but a marginal frame), and will be using the driver pane from that to correct my issue.  I haven't done it yet, but that's my repair solution.

Did you every get around to replacing the glass from the donor? How did it work out?

Dang...I had someone break into my truck via the stock side passenger vent window and I remember how hard it was to find that.  Defiantly going to be more careful loading my truck up and not break that back glass.  

I ended up a few weeks ago, finding one on Car-part.com and driving 3 hours to get it but it was worth it to get an oem 3 pane window. Also do not for the life of you go to Salvage Hunters of Rome ,Ga charged me $15 more than it was listed online for and it  was exact same window confirm by item number.

19 hours ago, Blaine.D said:

I ended up a few weeks ago, finding one on Car-part.com and driving 3 hours to get it but it was worth it to get an oem 3 pane window. Also do not for the life of you go to Salvage Hunters of Rome ,Ga charged me $15 more than it was listed online for and it  was exact same window confirm by item number.

Blaine, its nice to know that those can still be found. If you had to do any metal repair before you installed the replacement, tell us what was involved to stop rust.

On 9/14/2018 at 8:25 PM, kryptronic said:

I never knew the glass of the stock slider was slightly curved. I replaced my original one-piece rear glass with a Lawrence 4-pane slider back in the late 90's and I've had no problems with it. Looking back I wish I had searched for an original, but the Lawrence unit has worked well and it's not a bad option.

2 hours ago, HOrnbrod said:

I never knew the glass of the stock slider was slightly curved. I replaced my original one-piece rear glass with a Lawrence 4-pane slider back in the late 90's and I've had no problems with it. Looking back I wish I had searched for an original, but the Lawrence unit has worked well and it's not a bad option.

Yes, the stock slider glass is curved and matches the body lines of the MJ.  I have an aftermarket four-panel slider on my 91.  I'm not sure if this is the Lawrence slider you're referring to, but I believe it to be the commonly available four-panel aftermarket slider:

20181113_131656.jpg

It does not sit flat against the body, as can be seen at the top and bottom edges when viewed from the side.  It's frame is flexible enough where it bends somewhat to conform, but not quite right:

20181113_131705.jpg

I have a factory slider on my 92 that has plexiglass on the driver side.  Here is the factory slider, it is three-pane.  Mine is missing the rubber gasket that surrounds the window.  Presumably discarded when the plexiglass was put in.  As mentioned, I have good glass for that side now, and I have an original gasket too.  Just need to get them on, but not for a while.

20181113_131718.jpg

Here we're looking at the passenger side glass.  You can see it's curved to conform exactly to the body lines.  Really shows without the window gasket:

20181113_131728.jpg

Here are a pair of factory sliders in storage in my basement.  They show the curve well.  The bottom one has the window gasket on it, the top one doesn't.

20181113_131938.jpg

Sorry for the dark pic.  It's from my basement.  I hope that shows the difference between the four-pane aftermarket slider and the three-pane factory slider.

On 11/13/2018 at 11:35 AM, kryptronic said:

Yes, the stock slider glass is curved and matches the body lines of the MJ.  I have an aftermarket four-panel slider on my 91.  I'm not sure if this is the Lawrence slider you're referring to, but I believe it to be the commonly available four-panel aftermarket slider:

20181113_131656.jpg

It does not sit flat against the body, as can be seen at the top and bottom edges when viewed from the side.  It's frame is flexible enough where it bends somewhat to conform, but not quite right:

20181113_131705.jpg

I have a factory slider on my 92 that has plexiglass on the driver side.  Here is the factory slider, it is three-pane.  Mine is missing the rubber gasket that surrounds the window.  Presumably discarded when the plexiglass was put in.  As mentioned, I have good glass for that side now, and I have an original gasket too.  Just need to get them on, but not for a while.

20181113_131718.jpg

Here we're looking at the passenger side glass.  You can see it's curved to conform exactly to the body lines.  Really shows without the window gasket:

20181113_131728.jpg

Here are a pair of factory sliders in storage in my basement.  They show the curve well.  The bottom one has the window gasket on it, the top one doesn't.

20181113_131938.jpg

Sorry for the dark pic.  It's from my basement.  I hope that shows the difference between the four-pane aftermarket slider and the three-pane factory slider.

I notice that the OEM sliders have a large opaque area above and below the glass that will reduce the viewing area rearward.  Unless one is interested in retaining the original appearance for restoration purposes, the aftermarket sliders actually have more glass surface, and thus more viewing area.