92 Autocross/Lowered MJ

16 minutes ago, MiNi Beast said:

Have you heard of spring compressors? 

Have some.  Couldn't get the springs compressed far enough to get them out.  Also had issues with the compressors bolts getting hung up on the knuckle.  I even did the jack up opposite side of the axle method to no avail.  I was down to either cut them or take everything off the axle and I'm too lazy for all that, plus I've got too many sets of stock coil springs in my spare parts pile.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, 70barracuda said:

Looks awesome. Seriously jealous of the front splitter 

Thanks!  Definitely hard to find, I got pretty lucky.  Really contemplating trying to reproduce a handful out of fiberglass but won't be cheap.  My math says it would be over $200-$300 just to build a mold.

2 hours ago, JMO413 said:

Looks great! Any ideas how far you lowered it? 

Thanks!  The tires gave me 1.5" and the springs I estimate to be around 2"-2.5" for a total drop of 3.5"-4".  I need to get good height numbers for a stock truck because I lost my notes with the measurements on them.   

I will say it's wayyy lower than my blue truck.  Top of the bed rail on the red truck is about equal to the top of the fender flare.  It will be funny to see them sitting side by side.

Today was a good day.  

Diff is filled up and driveshaft is installed.  Ran into a slight issue that will need addressed.  With the springs laying flatter and on the overload leaves, it seems to have rotated the pinion enough that I think I may need some shims.  Definitely still driveable as is though.

IMG_20200411_233240.jpg.39495e64812dbcd008cb777e9bd27b17.jpg

Temporary bump stops made from hockey pucks.  

IMG_20200411_233307.jpg.2e7dd7405a4acec11f1739db9d90f23c.jpg

Have been talking with 70barracuda and getting some great advice.  Thanks to his research I will be trying some 2000 Nissan Altima sway bar links tomorrow, they look like they should work.  

I should have time tomorrow to get the brake dist block in and links on, maybe even a test drive if it isn't raining too bad!

Today I got the brake distribution block swapped.  Had to remove and swap the black mounting bracket over to the Grand Cherokee dist. block so it would bolt up to the master in the correct direction.  Also had to swap the plug in the rear to accept the extra brake line on the MJ.

IMG_20200412_101321.jpg.ae96726ca5e1c76369f73024a463babc.jpg

Also picked up the sway bar links.  These are for a 2000 Nissan Altima.  They aren't bolted tight yet, just hand tight but they will work pretty dang good, also was $12 for a pair.  Thanks very much again to 70barracuda for the recommendation on these.

IMG_20200412_151057.jpg.6700e908e62ea7207ee6f97bfddc2d85.jpg

I'm down to bleed the brakes and tighten up the links before a test drive!!

Tightened up the links and bled the brakes.  Test drive was a success!! :comanche:

I can't go too fast or drive hard until the rear diff is broken in but I can already tell it's way faster.  First gear is basically pointless now and second runs out quicker too.  Suspension is a little close to the bump stops in the front, hit a decent bump and it bottomed out but wasn't harsh and didn't hit the oil pan which is good!

The rear brakes squeal a bit but I don't see anything wrong with them and they weren't overly hot so I'm going to give them a few drives to hopefully settle in.  

So happy with it so far, can't wait until I can put it to the true test.

On 4/13/2020 at 8:10 AM, Dzimm said:

What you mean?

I have seen some guys drilling out the fluid hole to get a better flow, I guess, like a 60 to 40 split for disc's in back vs drums. I just always wondered if that really was a thing to do or not. Curious is all. 

8 minutes ago, MiNi Beast said:

I have seen some guys drilling out the fluid hole to get a better flow, I guess, like a 60 to 40 split for disc's in back vs drums. I just always wondered if that really was a thing to do or not. Curious is all. 

Interesting, I haven't heard of anyone doing that, I suppose it would work.  I saw plenty of people go through the trouble of changing out the internals but I didn't want to mess with all that.  I had gotten one from a Grand Cherokee with rear disks a while back so I installed that to have the proper flow for disks.

Found the squealing noise to be the dust shield contacting the rotor.  When installing the axle shafts I noticed the driver's side to be a tiny bit further into the diff than the passenger side, which is causing the rotor to be very close to the dust shield.

IMG_20200415_172409.jpg.f7ba2900e9d26098927aa732649659d6.jpg

I bent the shield away from the rotor and it fixed the issue for the most part.  Its quiet when going straight or turning right but still makes some noise while turning left so I'll take it apart again to bend it out a little more.  

Overall the truck drives great!  I've been taking it out for short drives each day and today I went and did some figure 8s to get the LSD broken in.  I've heard it both ways on if it's necessary to do that but I did it just in case.  The local cop even came by and parked in the lot next to me and watched me drive in circles for about 5 mins, never came and asked what the heck I was doing, which surprised me.

I'll take the tire off again tomorrow and see if I can't find the other spot of contact to get the noise to go away.  I could also just drive it until it self clearances, it's already starting to go away.  :laugh:

Got the new bump stops put in up front.  They sit about 3/4" from the spring pads but they are so soft that when it does bottom out you can't tell because its so soft.  

IMG_20200417_162631.jpg.a7b4ab2f60cdd967fa7dfc0ac82afad0.jpg

Took it for a long test drive today.  The scraping sound is almost entirely gone, only sometimes happens when turning left.  Needs another drive or two and last little high spot will be gone.

Truck drives really good.  1st gear is useless, 2nd gear is ok but short, 3rd and 4th gear have a TON of torque and are real fast, 5th is just a cruising gear as usual.  

Speedometer is 20mph off with the small tires so I need to get a new speedo gear.  Not sure which one I'll need yet, haven't looked.  

Also really wanting to get the truck up in the air and clean the undercarriage up and get it painted so it looks better.  Surface rust everywhere is not the best look.

Got the new speedo gear installed yesterday. I should have gotten a 40 tooth, the 39 tooth is still off by about 3mph.  Much better than off by 20mph though.  

Also set the painted airdam on the truck to see what it looks like and I like it!  Definitely need to get the flares and bumper painted to match so I can get it installed.IMG_20200421_190540.jpg.b2e151a87a857fc00731c93cc22d17a6.jpg

• Dzimm changed the title to 92 Autocross/Lowered MJ