2 door Cherokee Seats

No. The seat brackets are completely different. I don't have the image saved, but do a search on this forum. You'll have to transfer your MJ brackets to the XJ seats.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Do the Cherokee seats have the "rocking chair" option, or not? The floor brackets are different between the XJ and the MJ, but it's not difficult to remove the seats from the XJ pedestals and mount them onto the MJ pedestals. The MJ bench and buckets use the same pedestals, except that the bench doesn't have an adjuster lever on the passenger side. The rockking chair option on the buckets complicates things a bit, but it's still possible.

13 hours ago, RestoringNV said:

Will these seats be a direct bolt in, in my 87 Cherokee?

To have seats the fold forward, would be awesome!

What year 2-DR Cherokee seats are they? If they are 93 or below, they will swap. And to be sure, are they going into "my 87 Cherokee" as it says in your first post? Or an MJ?

3 hours ago, HOrnbrod said:

What year 2-DR Cherokee seats are they? If they are 93 or below, they will swap. And to be sure, are they going into "my 87 Cherokee" as it says in your first post? Or an MJ?

That was a typo, 87 MJ... my bad!

11 hours ago, RestoringNV said:

As far as I know, is the back of the seat folds forward, only. I am not aware of ANY automotive seats that Rocks!

AMC-era Cherokees had an option that, in addition to allowing the seat backs to recline, and allowed the seat bottom (and thus the entire seat) to tilt. Those seats have a second handle, one for the recliner/tilt and one for the base tilt. The base angle is changed by a curved slider under the seat pan, that's why we refer to them as "rocking chair" seats. If the seats have that option, bolting them directly into an MJ on the MJ seat pedestals results in a seat that's higher than the standard seating position. This may be okay for shorter drivers, but it doesn't work well for taller drivers.

Seat Brackets (2).jpg

Seat Brackets.jpg

3 hours ago, RestoringNV said:

Cool, but yes I am a 6 foot 4 inch driver!

That doesn't mean you can't use the seats out of an XJ with the rocking chair option, it just means a bit more ingenuity in mounting the XJ seats to the MJ seat pedestals.

I wish there was a way to fit the rocker seats at the regular height like in the XJ. I've sat in a couple of XJs with this feature and it's neat and would improve driver comfort. Sadly, the way the XJ compensated for the added height of the rocker mechanism was to shorten the legs on the floor pedestals. The rear legs of the MJ floor pedestals are about as short as they can be already due to the slope of the floor on the MJ, so I don't see a way to make it work without some serious modification to things I'd rather not modify.

Does anyone have an idea of how much the rocker mechanism would raise the seat? I know it would make it too high for most people, but I've never measured it myself or seen someone else measure it.

22 minutes ago, Minuit said:

Does anyone have an idea of how much the rocker mechanism would raise the seat? I know it would make it too high for most people, but I've never measured it myself or seen someone else measure it.

Just eyeballing the difference between the front seat pedestals in the illustration I posted above, I'm going to guess the difference is an inch and a half to two inches.

1 hour ago, rynoshark said:

So there never were curved seat bottoms on MJs?  My 87 MJ has a pair of buckets with curved bottoms, so perhaps they were replaced by a previous owner.

Curved seat pans, or the supplemental curved tracks with a second lever, that allowed for the pitch of the entire seat (not just the backrest) to be adjusted?

AFAIK, that option was never available from the factory in the MJ.

14 hours ago, rynoshark said:

So there never were curved seat bottoms on MJs?  My 87 MJ has a pair of buckets with curved bottoms, so perhaps they were replaced by a previous owner.

Get pics.  I doubt it's factory as there's no evidence they made a bracket to do it.  But never say never...