Battery over heating and dies after 4 kms

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably was just deformed and didn't make decent contact.  They stretch out over time and the bolt will bottom the ears before it's actually tight on the post.

Or something else is terribly wrong.

You can get a new generic negative cable from a parts store for not much.  Make sure the stud it connects to on the block is clean and tight too.

Only time I've seen battery cables melt was when there was either a massive short, or the battery got hooked up backwards. 

Until recently I lived in mb, not far from Dauphin. 

I'd go for replacing the whole cables too. The clamp-on replacements work, but they're pretty janky, and you can only stretch the factory cables so far. Plus if one end's bad, the other end likely is too. Like Dirty said, parts store, crappy tire, etc. 

Negative battery terminal should have a battery cable running to the engine block somewhere (mine is to the dipstick tube bolt) and one to the body.

Positive battery cable should go to a terminal on the starter solenoid, and one to a power distribution centre of sorts... Don't know offhand what it is on a Renix.

35 years ago, i had a battery boil acid out of top of battery. Head lights dim. Car left on side of road. Took a mechanic over to car next day. Without saying anything he slide under engine. Was under car less than a minute and then he was standing next to me.  He said start it. I was confused but tried and it started as if nothing was ever wrong with it. He said the end of the battery cable attached to the starter was touching the frame. He rotated so it was not touching frame. The cable had moved by itself from road moment and bumps. Check to see if cable is grounding anywhere.

Update. So I got a new ground cable and the new battery. The truck started better and faster then it ever has before, since ive owned it. My buddy went to move it but stalled it. Now trying to start it sounds like the battery does not have enough power to crank it over but the battery is fully charged. Any ideas or advice will be greatly appreciated. 

5 hours ago, Myles Cyncora said:

It cranks but super slow. The crank pullie turns but nothing turns.

Nothing turns?  As in the accessories don't turn?

If one of the larger accessories seizes (P/S pump or alt normally) it can actually bind things up enough that it won't be able to start.  If you loosen the serpentine belt off it will be obvious.

Myles, you might have a bad starter relay.  A $20 part or so.  if you no longer have the serious short melting the cable and otherwise overheating, you might have something draining the battery when the ignition is in off position but is worn and not actually off.   

You might find this of interest:

5 hours ago, Myles Cyncora said:

How do I loosen the belt and then how would I be able to check if anything is seized.

There's a tension adjuster under the P/S pump.  You need to loosen the bolts on the back side of the P/S pump, and the tensioner lock bolt first.  If you back the tension off until the belt can be slipped off the idler, you can then figure out if anything is seized, as all of the accessories should be able to turn with just your fingers (they only thing you can't turn with your fingers is the crank).  With the belt off you can start it and try running it for a minute or two, it will overheat very quickly as the water pump isn't turning, but it will let you know if that was the issue or not.

It could easily be another electrical problem, or another bad cable or connection, or the battery isn't as charged as it seems.  It's hard to give definitive troubleshooting advice for electrical without being there.

Thanks alot. I will try to take the belt off and try turning everything. I'd rather not start it and risk it over heating and making a bigger problem. My buddy doesn't tighten the cables onto the battery, he just slips them on and says it good enough. So it could be as simple as that. 

8 minutes ago, Myles Cyncora said:

Thanks alot. I will try to take the belt off and try turning everything. I'd rather not start it and risk it over heating and making a bigger problem. My buddy doesn't tighten the cables onto the battery, he just slips them on and says it good enough. So it could be as simple as that. 

That will do it, they need to be tight.  :doh:

And it's probably why the other connector melted...

Just out of curiosity....... What happens when you install the battery cables correctly.... With the clamp end cleaned and tighten down.... And the other end of each cable cleaned and tighten in its correct location......do you still get the same result?

2 hours ago, yxmj said:

Just out of curiosity....... What happens when you install the battery cables correctly.... With the clamp end cleaned and tighten down.... And the other end of each cable cleaned and tighten in its correct location......do you still get the same result?

This was what I was trying to get at.  No point doing any other troubleshooting until the cables are installed correctly.

2 hours ago, yxmj said:

Yes.....I just thought since I am in Manitoba as well he might understand my accent better

You're a funny guy! Yes I told my buddy to tighten the cables and they are installed correctly and the same as before. Maybe you should come down and see for yourself.