Battery over heating and dies after 4 kms

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/29/2018 at 4:00 PM, Myles Cyncora said:

Thanks alot. I will try to take the belt off and try turning everything. I'd rather not start it and risk it over heating and making a bigger problem. My buddy doesn't tighten the cables onto the battery, he just slips them on and says it good enough. So it could be as simple as that. 

Your buddy is completely wrong.

Turn on the headlights. Are they nice and bright? If not, there's a bad connection or a bad battery. If the headlights are bright, leave them on and try the starter. Do the headlights go dim when the starter is engaged?

Try putting the cables on like described......too bad I was in Anola yesterday at lunch on my way to look at another jeep....if you can't get it working this weekend PM me and we can meet ......maybe I can help you out.....

13 hours ago, Myles Cyncora said:

So me and my buddy's have narrowed it down to the starter. It's out and ready to be returned and a new one ordered. A side question tho, can some one tell me if 235/75/R15 tires fit on stock height?

Yes.

In fact, on factory wheels 31x10.50-15s fit.

If you go with a more agressive 235/75/15, like an AT with side lugs à la Grabber AT2 or BFG KO2, you might find they run the lower control arms at full lock, but it's not really a huge deal. I ran Grabber AT2's on my stock height MJ, in that size. Not a bad year-round tire for Manitoba. Have 'em on my Lada now, in a smaller size.

ckgkb.jpg

Iii2t.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry didn't have time for an update. So since I last posted I have gotten the new starter installed and now a new alternator as of Saturday. I am waiting for my buddy that has the truck right now to massage me about if he got it running with the new alternator.