Fuel Mileage and Fuelly

On another thread some questions are being asked about fuel mileage differences. Does anyone else here track every tank of fuel with fuelly or another app/website? Fuelly.com has 32 Jeep Comanches on it, there have to be some of y'all here too.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/jeep/comanche

My 92 has a 7-8% error because of my tires. I'm seeing right at 17.6 mpg according to my GPS, you can see in my fuel log last year in June when I changed tires it dropped from 18s to 16s.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Now THAT's a name I hadn't heard in a very long time. I'm on there, and I tracked my mileage for a little while. Wow, I got some really bad MPG back then! :roflmao:Almost all city miles and on an engine that needed a tune up. For what it's worth, my truck gets about 17.5 to 18 highway and about 15 city these days.

Here at my shop we track all mileage on our jeep, since we use them to pickup and drop off parts. 15.8 mpg for city and 19.1 for highway driving for most of the jeeps we have. We have the right gearing for the speedo to make sure it is very true in mpg. When I seen this I was like I was just looking at the monthly petro costing spread sheet

I'm one of the MJ's on there. Haven't used it for a long @$$ time though. I think I threw out about 15000 miles worth of fuel receipts last summer on the grounds I was never going to bother getting around to putting them in. I've been thinking about starting up again to track the ax15 ZJ's economy... For science. Cause there ain't no one out there doing that. 

I look at the pump and my trip meter every time I fill up. Simple math comes out to 21 mpg typically. That said, my tires are 235's versus the stock 205's.

When I drive, I use a 10% rule when gauging my speed due to over-sized tires, meaning if the speed limit is 45, I should drive 41 to avoid a ticket.

So, what is my mpg really? Since the speedometer/odometer is driven by the gear in the transfer case, am I actually going further than my odometer indicates and my mpg is higher than a simple calculation? Does the same 10% rule apply? Since I've been running 235's for about a 100K, does that mean my actual mileage on the truck is about 10K miles higher than indicated on the odometer?

Nominally 235/75/15's are only 6% bigger diameter than 205/75/15's, but nominal diameter generally doesn't give an accurate picture of what's going on. Plus as tires wear depending on the tire you could lose as much as if not more than a half-inch of diameter. The best way to confirm your speedometer (and odometer)'s accuracy is with either a gps speedometer (get an app for your phone) or one of those flashing radar "your speed" signs, if you can be sure it's pointed at you. I'm sure there's a ton of unhappy people out there if you're driving 5% under the limit everywhere.

On 7/5/2018 at 11:11 PM, gogmorgo said:

I've been thinking about starting up again to track the ax15 ZJ's economy... For science. Cause there ain't no one out there doing that. 

That's because there ain't no other 4.0L, AX-15 ZJs out there. That's almost as rare a bird as my 2000 XJ 4.0L with 5-speed.

I'm one of the MJ's on there. Haven't used it for a long @$$ time though. I think I threw out about 15000 miles worth of fuel receipts last summer on the grounds I was never going to bother getting around to putting them in. I've been thinking about starting up again to track the ax15 ZJ's economy... For science. Cause there ain't no one out there doing that. 

I use an app called "fuelly fuel up" that texts in the info. So basically, as soon as I'm done at the pump, I log it. No more saving receipts.

I still use Gas Buddy, been tracking mileage since 2005 on my Jeeps
I use gas buddy to find cheap gas, didn't know they tracked mileage as well. Can you search other vehicles similar to fuelly, or is it just for yourself?

5 minutes ago, Tex06 said:

I use an app called "fuelly fill up" that texts in the info. So basically, as soon as I'm done at the pump, I log it. No more saving receipts.

They used to let you text in the info to the website. I just got lazy. 

Now THAT's a name I hadn't heard in a very long time. I'm on there, and I tracked my mileage for a little while. Wow, I got some really bad MPG back then! Almost all city miles and on an engine that needed a tune up. For what it's worth, my truck gets about 17.5 to 18 highway and about 15 city these days.

"The only known truck in this paint scheme...." 🤣🤣🤣

Damn, if it wasn't for huck with his 21mpg average you and gogo woulda had the worst mpg by year.

Would you mind throwing your next a few tanks up there? If its different now because the truck is healthier, I think it would be good to see.

P.S. use the app "fuelly fuel up" to text it in, much easier than the website

Yeah I saw you and minute up there.... damn y'all must have had leaks in your gas tanks back then, huh?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I just use all 190 ponies when I drive. Also a couple of those tanks were messing around in deep fresh snow. For some reason pushing snow with your bumpers in 4lo isn't great for mpg? Or sitting idling because it's -30 outside. Or doing 100+mph. 

They used to let you text in the info to the website. I just got lazy. 
Yah, but I'm too lazy to remember how to do that. So I use this app.... it's dead simple. cd9f7f958712c84af5ec358d56eb0f27.jpg

On 7/7/2018 at 9:45 AM, Tex06 said:

Would you mind throwing your next a few tanks up there? If its different now because the truck is healthier, I think it would be good to see.

I'll try to remember. I don't drive the truck much these days so it will take some time to get many numbers up on there.

Low fuel light blinked at me a couple times on the way home, gas gauge right at 1/4, so I got gas. Downloaded the Fuelly app, added the ZJ. 

824088.png

That's roughly 50/50 city/highway, although much of the "highway" is narrow twisty mountain pass type stuff, with a 40 mph speed limit, which I was responsibly exceeding. I'm happy with that number. 

I forgot all about that website, I think I used it once and even added to my sig line but its been forever since I logged in there but my current engine is a stroker so my numbers are probably way higher now, lower for you guys sine your MPG and I am KPL...

I forgot all about that website, I think I used it once and even added to my sig line but its been forever since I logged in there but my current engine is a stroker so my numbers are probably way higher now, lower for you guys sine your MPG and I am KPL...

the website translates mpg to kpl automatically

• 4 months later...

I think the New Site doesn't allow you to put the Fuelly Banner up at full size anymore as I just tried to add my Commander link and it wouldn't work because the size is larger then 120 so the ones that work are kinda grandfathered in I thnk....

11 hours ago, Jeepman said:

I think the New Site doesn't allow you to put the Fuelly Banner up at full size anymore as I just tried to add my Commander link and it wouldn't work because the size is larger then 120 so the ones that work are kinda grandfathered in I thnk....

Yeah, but the 120x53 doesnt even work...?